ad: elecraft

New digital mode FT4

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool, I'm glad the modes are still alive. I'm just afraid that between legacy modes (PSK##, RTTY, SSTV, etc) and the new stuff (JT*, FT*), we're eventually going to take a lot of bandwidth up, especially when you consider the ITU regions don't always agree on the same frequencies. Add in the Fox and Hound features, and it adds up.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Your RF landscape, or should I say ecosystem, must be very different than mine. From my viewpoint, the more bandwidth that is used up the better. A little overcrowding would be better still: hey FCC, we need more bandwidth.;)

Outside of the FT8 segments, the bands are empty most of the time.

These new modes use very little bandwidth, lest the regulators think we don't need it any longer, and reduce them based on our 'new' needs.:(

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    W9FL and WU8Y like this.
  3. W6US

W6US Ham Member QRZ Page

Time was not the major problem with using FT8 in a contest. The biggest problem, and one not addressed in this new mode, are the variety of exchanges allowed. Most State QSO parties use a 5-6 character state/county identifier. A lot of contests use serial numbers. Some use states and providences, others use ARRL/RAC sections. There may be other items in the required exchange. THIS is what needs to be addressed instead of worrying how long it takes to make the exchange. Remember that with the error correction, repeats are only needed if there is an error, and that occurs automatically. Since the callsigns are embedded, they are given out every time so you do not have to wait several QSOs to find out who you need to call (or move on if they are a dupe)...

4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

That 15 second wait was just too long. We need Internet speeds. As much as I bitch and moan, FT8 is addictive. As far as human interaction... I get plenty. Click on someone calling CQ, then I look up who they are in QRZ, then I find the distance between me and them or is it them and me... the write all that data in a paper log with my Pilot G2 Limited pen. I'm not sure I can go faster. And the bonus is it's all pre-canned responses and I don't have to deal with any arrogant pricks or the dribbling afterbirth of 7200. (That was typed in my special sarcasm font). I'm wondering if the computer will have to have the amatuer radio license for FT-2? (more sarcasm font)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2019
    KB2HSH and WU8Y like this.
  5. KB2HSH

KB2HSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of the long-time RTTY contesters will recognize my call...I have been doing the RTTY Contests for many years...as a QRP entrant, on top of it. NO ONE can deny that the solar conditions have been pitiful for too long. The FT8 operation in the RTTY Roundup this year was the first time that I have deviated from my beloved Baudot RTTY. And it was GREAT. Now, K1JT is giving us ANOTHER weapon in the weak signal war. 4 second TX times? Signal levels to -16?? No critical clock timing required???? SOUNDS GREAT!!!

KB2HSH
    Grand Island, NY

W9FL likes this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Mr Newbie I hope you stick around long enough to understand the differences between different modes from Spark to all the various new digi modes.

At least Spark and CW plus SSB and AM are compatible to some degree.
    The plethora of digi modes starting with ancient RTTY are all standalone modes taking up various amounts of bandwidth. They will all continue with their own dedicated users in their own little segregated parts of the bands until they bleed over into each other and create turf wars.

Im not complaining about digi since I dont use any of it and see no reason to start....yet. OTOH none of it is copyable to the average SWL or CBer who get all their input from AM and SSB and some get interested enough to get a license and then hear about digi.

Where did you come from??

Those modes have zero interest in HF and even VHF/UHF; they require the huge bandwidths of the microwaves and higher. The military is about the only large group interested in HF and that is as a backup to easily destroyed satellites. Various third world s..tholes do not have satellite access so continue on HF mostly as pirates using cheap ham gear.
    Commercial aviation continues to use HF but they are not appealing for more frequencies.

Id suggest you come down to earth and get some more experience under your belt.

Carl

7. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

KM1H said>>>OTOH none of it is copyable to the average SWL or CBer who get all their input from AM and SSB and some get interested enough to get a license and then hear about digi.

I Agree that nobody in the telecom or non ham industry is interested in 1.8 to 30 MHz but since Carl brought this up and although he is referring to 5G system operators having no interest in the HF bands, I just had to comment about 11 meters and HF-SWL and the ham DIGI modes.

Last week I went over and fired up FT8 to listen for the KH8, American Samoa DX-ped and when I went over to PSK reporter I noticed that PSK reporter now has a band selection for 11 meters in the frequency menu.

I didn't see any 11 meter PSK reports yet but now I'm wondering How long will it be before the CB'rs start to use FT8?

Also although I haven't used FT8 in awhile, back in the fall of 2017 I received 3 FT8 QSL cards from listeners in Australia and 2 from swl listeners in Europe, 1 from France and 1 from italy.

Most were through EQSL so there are some SWL, non-hams using FT8 but certainly nowhere near the number of hams.

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

This may interest some people:

Dr. Taylor - FT8 & Beyond: FT4 - Finale, this mode is 3x Faster than FT8

KB2HSH and LU4AH like this.
  9. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

11 meters on PSK reporter are mostly in western EU areas, and they report often in many various modes...

10. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

my yaesu ft450d has am.....I tried on am back in Earlier March on 3875 and there were a bunch of guys that were helpful and told me to get on like around 7 or 8 pm and forgot all about it. I have am on my 440s and 570s and the audio on these rig sound crappy. I had back in the 90's had a FT 101E with remote vfo and worked W2VJZ daily and WA1HLR. sold the dam thing in 2000. So now I want to get back into AM. I'm going to NEARFEST next weekend and will be there Saturday with my RED KA1BSZ and GREEN KA1BSZ sweat shirt.

11. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

what fun is that? the fun is working for that qsl.

W6BSD and N2NOW like this.
  12. AI6IN

AI6IN QRZ Lifetime Member #88 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Real hams use spark...
    Ummm...what is Game of Thrones??? ;-)

13. AI6IN

AI6IN QRZ Lifetime Member #88 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Some people can't push buttons. Others need a computer to speak, or if they can speak, type. Hardware to move limbs. Etc., etc. ...Don't use too broad a brush...

KB2HSH likes this.
  14. AC5O

AC5O Ham Member QRZ Page

15. AC5O

AC5O Ham Member QRZ Page

You hit the nail on the head.………..LOL