ad: k1jek

ARRL 'Radio Communications' billboard promotes Ham Radio on I-40

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to talk blight on the landscape wind turbines in scenic areas of this state are an absolute disgrace.

KG5THG likes this.
  2. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham not an acronym.

WU8Y likes this.
  3. W9BRD

Yep. How many of the "it's a service, not a hobby" types got into ham radio in their teens because they wanted to "serve"...anyone? It was something avocational you got into because you had free time and playing with radio was engaging and cool--a hobby.

K3XR likes this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that is correct, but,.......... What ever made you think He was using it as an "acronym"?

Dictionary
    ac·ro·nym
    /ˈakrəˌnim/
    noun
    1. an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA ).

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I received a public service award from the ARRL when I was 17, for passing major traffic during the 1973 Managua earthquake.

Are you being served?

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

(Some) Vendors say it stands for: Hasn't Any Money

7. KN4UFK

KN4UFK Ham Member QRZ Page

AMERICA WAKE UP

Sponsored by ARRL

Might have more impact and be more pertinent.

wait...What?!? I can post now?!? I aced my Tech exam just this morning...wow...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2019
  8. W9BRD

He rendered it in all caps, just as further on in the same sentence he used STEM as an acronym because it is one.

K2NCC likes this.
  9. W9BRD

Surely you understand that the fact that you happened to serve others while acting in your amateur radio capacity at 17 does not equate to evidence that you got into ham radio in the first place to so serve. Good for you for being in the right place at the right time! Having also once been 17, I'm pretty sure that with that emergency behind you didn't studiously avoid ragchewing or DXing or contesting or other fun/hobby activities as frivolous until your next chance to provide relief.

As others have stated, the "serviceness" of ham radio is a necessary regulatory construct, just as is the serviceness of the Citizens Band Radio Service, the great majority of the participants in which wouldn't even bother to laugh at the idea that using their use of CBRS frequencies is anything other than self-serving. The "basis and purpose" text up near the beginning of the amateur radio regulations--and other subparts of the FCC regs--is there because the Administrative Procedure Act required its addition to the regs as a legal foundation for scoping FCC's regulatory activities for a given service.

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

To me as a kid Amateur Radio always had an image of prestige much more then "just a hobby". At age 13, as soon as I got to General class as WAØPEV, I was invited to try the NTS CW nets on 80m by Don WAØEPX (SK) who was also mentioned in an ARRL Letter bulletin.

I first checked into the MN QRS net and as soon as code speed built moved up to the regular section net. Before long I was a regularly scheduled NCS multiple days per week. Then I graduated to being a net liaison with the tenth regional net (TEN), and eventually it's connection with the Central Area Net (CAN). There was lots of serious traffic back then. It felt good to accomplish a contribution by passing it.

In later teens I joined Army MARS. Elimination of student deferments and being classified by the Selective Service as 1A after the physical, a partial motivation was the rumor if/when I was drafted (lottery #34) that already being MARS trained may be a fast-track to a more interesting assignment.

AR is, and most certainly enables many to be active in, a service.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sir,

I seldom say this, but your response is really, IMO, idiotic.

Yes bunkie, I got into ham radio, as a teenager--actually earlier!- for the very mission statements defined in Part 97. That includes public service.

Sorry to disappoint you. But please don't tell me why I did something. I am in a position to know. If I tell you why I did something, I don't expect you or anyone else to assert otherwise, especially when there is factual evidence supporting my answer.

OK boobalah?

Go enjoy an Easter egg, rather than laying one.

12. W9BRD

Sure. You did tell me -- this time. Last time you just told you received a well-deserved award, without mentioning your motivation for becoming a ham. Thanks for the clarification.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Look:

I am cutting you some slack because I had a lot of respect for your dad, and I very much enjoyed your tribute on the W9BRD callsign history.

BTW , the 'public service' aspect arose from my reading a kid's Marconi bio in 1966. To me, the radio thing had a 'public service' component where even a kid could get beyond the vapid and isolating restrictions of a small-minded home town, surrounded by a cow-pen of townie kids I had nothing in common with. I guess in those contemporary terms, you could 're-invent' and 'be somebody'. Some young people actually think about that at a very young age. That was the path that I resonated with--ham radio.

Its really offensive to tell people what motivates them. You can help DIRECT them on motivation; you can QUESTION their motivation; you can ASSIST them on motivation; you can even DE-motivate them. But TELLING them what motivates them is silly and oozes a wish to control.

Unless you are Hannibal the Cannibal, I suggest you be careful with your love of language to execute, IMO, that form of manipulation. I assume you are far better than that.

And I wish you well in this holiday season.

Chip W1YW

14. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

A Hobby, or a service ??? to be or not to be,, that is the question
    It's my Hobby,

I might add that , the word service is JUST an expression , it has nothing to do with me helping in a flood , or whatever.
    Like many other two-way radio services,
    Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS), General Mobile Radio Service GMRS, The Citizens Band Radio Service (CBRS) as stated on the FCC web.

However, I really wonder just how many of you have really provided a real services as stated in (a) ? --see (a) below..
    I'm sure many have, its just what we do.

And, well (b) is a real killer, "Proven" might have been 40 to 50 years ago,

and , (c) I really don't know what to think (maybe dumb-it-down)

and then there's (d) I'd say maybe a reservoir of Idiots that can't program their HT's

(e) this as a positive for our HOBBY

The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

why don't we all cut the BS ,, hobby , service, it all nonsense,

15. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

And to continue ...
    §97.3 Definitions.
    (a) The definitions of terms used in part 97 are:
    (4) Amateur service. A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.

For many personal aim=HOBBY.