ad: HamHats-1

ARRL 'Radio Communications' billboard promotes Ham Radio on I-40

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Look forward to more plainness and simplicity in your "hobby" OM; dramatic reductions in frequency allocations for Part 97; dropping of any PRB-1 or ARPA style protection; dual use of most if not all ham bands; and so on.

Such a RELAXING "hobby". Watch it 'relax' into narrow and heavily restricted 'hobby channels'.
    [​IMG]

K1LKP likes this.
  2. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Duck...Wabbit" "Duck... Wabbit" "Duck...Wabbit"................

3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On the other hand, I-40 carries a lot of interstate traffic. So a lot more than just local CBers will see it.

W0PV likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No,
    SITTING duck.

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I was never one myself, and as a kid ham got bully-suckered into the "CB'ers are bad" stereotype mindset, but today I know of many ex-CB'ers that have become fine amateurs. I have no issue with attracting more.

One of the best aspects of AR, inclusiveness, is stated on the ARRL "what-is-ham-radio" URL in the first FAQ bullet "Who is the Typical Ham?"

"Amateur Radio operators come from all walks of life -- doctors, students, kids, politicians, truck drivers, movie stars, missionaries and even your average neighbor next door. They are of all ages, sexes, income levels and nationalities. ..."

If he is not already one, for this generous contribution Cliff @KD4GT should be granted ARRL Diamond club metallic level status.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a former kid CB'er.

GE base station; Knight kit walkie talkies.

K8XG and W0PV like this.
  7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip - quite an example of why it can be good to attract CB'ers! Hope to see you again at Hamvention next month. Perhaps there should be a #CBMeToo twitter movement within AR :rolleyes:

I was already a General class when another ham gifted me a fully assembled mint condx Heath GW-14a. It was installed in mom's new '68 Dodge Dart with a trunk lip mount base loaded whip just before driving with my Aunt and cousin Robin ex-WAØQCM from MN to Boston to see family. CB was an excellent companion. We stopped to visit grandpa in the Appleton WI area, where the local CB'ers still used full callsigns and even conducted OTA nets.

Today in the Sarasota-Bradenton area there is quite a lively and friendly group on 27165 KHz. They even hold picnics at a local park. I hear a lot of voices that sound like those also heard on 2m repeaters. But there are OTA advantages to using AM simplex mode for fast-break chatting, as the FAA knows well.

73, John WØPV

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

CB meant talking to the jerk up the street. I preferred the cool people across the globe!

Yep CU there John:)

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To spread the word about ham radio.

I didn't think anybody could find a way to be against this.

I was wrong. LOL

I guess I forgot where I was.

WU8Y, W1BR and W1YW like this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it a BIG ISSUE? :p

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently:
    ITS BILLBOARD SIZED!

PD0JBV and W4NNF like this.
  12. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hamradio.png

Ahhhhhh, there we go. Fixed. Now people actually know what this sign is about.

ND6M, W1YW and PD0JBV like this.
  13. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Guest

Twice a year i am in Texas. First time i was there i was flabbergasted about the amount of CB stuff at the gas stations. It is my humble opinion that Radio Communications is well known to "the public". The dept of this subject is a different cookie. Most people communicate via Smartphone and CB, even after disasters. So i think these billboards has to do with promoting Ham Radio, to make it more known ... nothing wrong with that. And yes, it is a hobby (for me).

N3FAA likes this.
  14. N5TZH

N5TZH Ham Member QRZ Page

Just the arrl way of maybe getting more membership dues arrl is no friend to ham radio they will make it like one big cb band just for the membership dues

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh man,true (about West Texas)!

But at least they have...Buc-ee's!

N3FAA and K7JEM like this.