ad: MyersEng-1

ARRL 'Radio Communications' billboard promotes Ham Radio on I-40

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL 'Radio Communications' billboard promotes Ham Radio on I-40

The ARRL reports amateur radio is being promoted on a billboard that's passed by 6 million vehicles a year

[​IMG]

A new billboard on Interstate 40 in Tennessee promotes ARRL and Amateur Radio. Working with ARRL Product Development Manager Bob Inderbitzen, NQ1R, and Communications Manager Dave Isgur, N1RSN, ARRL Graphic Designer Sue Fagan, KB1OKW, completed a design for a the new 10 × 20 billboard, owned by ARRL Life Member Cliff Segar, KD4GT.

Segar says the average daily traffic count for the area along I-40 west bound, mile marker 336, is on the order of 6 million vehicles per year.

Source ARRL
    http://www.arrl.org/news/view/arrl-radio-communications-billboard-promotes-ham-radio-on-i-40

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/20...ions-billboard-promotes-ham-radio-on-i-40.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KC5JSR, K4XJ, N7KO and 9 others like this.
  2. KB9RDS

KB9RDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The billboard idea is very cleaver. Good idea and hope to see more billboards of that type across the country.

KC5JSR, K4XJ, KJ4PNA and 7 others like this.
  3. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the point of this billboard?

I'm with Mrs Johnson on the subject of bill boards; I would like to see less of them.

AI3V and K4KYV like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The point is to make the public know more about the value of a a publicly license service.

Notice it says 'skill' , 'service', 'discovery'

NOWHERE does it say: 'HOBBY'

ARRL should try the I-65 corridor also.

Thanks to CLIFF for his kind volunteering of the space!

KC5JSR, N7KO, KN4FIF and 9 others like this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you go to the web link that is on the billboard, you find this:;)

What is Ham Radio?
    Amateur Radio (ham radio) is a popular hobby and service that brings people, electronics and communication together. People use ham radio to talk across town, around the world, or even into space, all without the Internet or cell phones. It's fun, social, educational, and can be a lifeline during times of need.

KI7TBU, K4XJ, WA8FOZ and 6 others like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your point?

So Ron, do you want me to go along with the facts, or go along with the crowd?

Which do you think has absolute meaning?

If the ARRL wished to pose this as a 'hobby', it would have been easy to do so. It didn't.

What is most likely is that the old copy on the website has not been revised.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The point is that the ARRL says amateur radio IS a "hobby". AND a "service".

If you don't like that the ARRL uses the word "hobby", then file a complaint with the ARRL.

8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For most operators, it IS a hobby. Great idea, and I'm sure there was a lot of time, effort and cost involved, but I think there are more people looking for a hobby than looking for a way to serve the public. Why can't it be both? If you visit the link on the billboard, the first sentence is "Amateur Radio (ham radio) is a popular hobby and service that brings people, electronics and communication together.". But you are correct in saying the billboard is pushing amateur radio as a service (without actually using the words "Amateur Radio").

I'm not criticizing, I'm just saying if it were me, I'd emphasize both aspects. I think more people would be interested in a new hobby than a new way to serve the public. But I also understand that the league needs to promote themselves as a service provider for a variety of political reasons. You catch more flies with honey. I hope it works out.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

All Ron's done is point out that the ARRL doesn't always update its old website copy.

There's a reason the billboard does not showcase "hobby"--and its not to assist in targetting an audience: given the truckers on that route, 'hobby' would have been a better draw.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No,

I think I will just point out the issue and call you on it.

Thanks.

11. KF1P

KF1P Ham Member QRZ Page

West of Cardiff Tennessee.....

N5PZJ likes this.
  12. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

How does that billboard convey that message?
    "what is a HAM" is in smaller print and part of a URL that drivers best not be plugging into their phones. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I see no picture, but I see a huge ARRL logo with RADIO COMMUNICATIONS next to it.

Also why does the ARRL think Amateur Radio needs a billboard?

For a century we have existed by word of mouth, and those who need to know about the service we provide to our communities already do. HAMs are in schools, promote Club Stations and are part of the STEM programs in many school. BSA has an Amateur Radio program that helps bring radio to scouts all over the globe. As a Service and as a Hobby, we don't need a billboard to advertise who we are and what we do; but the ARRL does.

Nice of Cliff to volunteer the space on his billboard, but it seems to me that the rest was paid for with your membership dues.

13. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice!

14. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

"Segar says the average daily traffic count for the area along I-40 west bound, mile marker 336, is on the order of 6 million vehicles per year." Okay let's finish this thought That's 16,438.3 cars a day on an average. I've owned a couple of .3 cars in my lifetime.

AD5HR likes this.
  15. KD4GT

KD4GT Ham Member QRZ Page

WB9ZYU said: "Nice of Cliff to volunteer the space on his billboard, but it seems to me that the rest was paid for with your membership dues."

I suppose that I could have just designed it all myself. Or the folks in Newington could have said NO when I offered the space. But the only thing the ARRL paid for was the artwork. The billboard company (Outfront Media) paid to have the artwork printed and for the crew that came and installed the vinyl.

What have the rest of you done lately to advance the amateur radio service?

NV4B, KF1P, KA2CZU and 7 others like this.