ad: HamHats-1

How To Help The FT-8 Contest This Weekend

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W0VRA, Apr 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Apologies in advance for asking a question I can surely find the answer to by digging.

I see there's an FT-8 contest this weekend:

https://qrznow.com/ft8-contest-set-for-april-13-14/

So what can I do to help?

Just stay off the air?

Call CQ?

Answer CQs?

How do I know which CQs to answer?

I see that they'd like my state. Do I add that into one of the line of FT-8 messages?

Is there a special way to set up WSJT-X to be of the most value to people in the contest?

And thanks in advance for your help helping me help the contesters!

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about you, but I'm staying off the air.;)

I'm all for FT8, just not FT8 contesting.

3. W0VRA

Oh, I found a document telling me how to set up FT8 and a couple of other things.

https://europeanft8club.wordpress.com/

Another question just came to mind.

If I'm just helping and not being part of the contest, does it matter whether I'm QRP?

Or do both sides of the QSL need to be part of the contest?

4. VA3VF

I have not read the rules for this particular contest, but usually, the only thing that matters for those 'helping out', is to give the contest participating station the required contest exchange.

5. N5AF

N5AF Ham Member QRZ Page

The information page for the contest states:" The exchange is the same as the ARRL RTTY Roundup, with state/province for US/Canada stations, and serial number for DX participants."

The WSJT-X documentation explains how to properly configure the software. Detailed information about the configuration can be found here: http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.0.1.html#_contest_messages

Hope this helps.

K4AGO likes this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Every 15 seconds is a new "contest" on FT 8;)

YMMV

7. VA3VF

This is why I don't like it, I guess. I need a break from 'contests' once in a while. This weekend looks good .:D:D

ND6M likes this.
  8. W0VRA

You people are so funny.

I come on here and ask, "Hey, how do I (x)?"

And come the replies, "I don't like (x)"

Some things never change.

OK, cool, thanks!

Thanks, it does help!

NY4Q likes this.
  9. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was unaware of the FT8 contest. Your question raises a few other questions. There are a few things the link doesn't addess:

• FT8 frequencies are different between ITU Zones....are all fair game?
    • Do you have to stay within the allotted FT8 frequency, or can stations wander up and down the band to find more space?
    • Can you use automation/unattended non-standard changes to WSJT-X? Seems like a no brainer but they don't mention it.
    • Is Fox and Hound (DXpedition) mode allowed?
    I love where is says "Everyone works everyone in this contest, and the maximum power is 100 W.". As if that is some sort of restriction. QRP was originally the norm and the appeal of FT8....guys in HOAs with 20W and a non-resonant antenna hanging out the window could work DX. My Dad actually made a contact 2 states away before realizing his radio connected to a dummy load laying on the floor. But the subject of QRO on FT8 has been beaten to death here on the Zed, it just made me chuckle a little. :)

I'm staying away and waiting for a debriefing on Monday. It sounds like it might get a little dicey.

10. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

FT 8 CONTEST.jpg
    THE FIRST RULE OF CONTESTING.jpg

73 -K1LKP

11. W0VRA

Haha, you're right, I don't even know what to ask!

Yeah, you could use Google Remote Desktop to run an FT8 station from anywhere.

Yeah, it's not clear whether someone working QRP has to work another QRP station for it to count. I suppose I could set my output using the slider in WSJT-X and monitor the meter on the antenna tuner to keep it under 5W. I'm using a ubitx rig and it's a little over 5W on some bands.

12. VA3VF

Continuing with your 'helping out' motivation. Unless you are now considering active participation in the contest, there is no way organizers can force non active participants to follow the contest rules, and it would be crazy to penalize participants contacting non active participants.

As for the other points N2SUB raised, just be mindful not the break any FCC rules first and foremost, and gentlemen's agreement second, if you care about the latter.

13. W0VRA

Well, if someone in the contest is looking for an Illinois contact under the QRP category because there's an all-states thing, I'd like to help, even if I'm not competing in the contest. Would a QRP contester need me to QRP for it count for him/her?

14. VA3VF

Unless this contest is different than others, no, you do not need to be QRP for a QRP entrant to earn the contact points.

I'm getting the feeling, since I did not read the contest rules, that this may be a different kind of contest, with different practices. I may be way out of my depth here. Hopefully others with specific knowledge will step in.

15. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Digging a little deeper into their site, I find both their FT 8 contesting rules and their "regular" FT 8 operating guide.

"Use the normal FT8 subbands, other modes or the WARC bands to avoid FT8 contests."........... that inplies that the contest freqs are different from the usual subband freqs.

also
    "Check the contest rules for suggested or permitted frequencies. It’s a good idea to define them in WSJTX’s frequencies table so they appear on the band selector.".......... the problem is the contest rules don't specify the freqs. "most" contest use the entire available band:eek:

It's gonna be a bloodbath in Europe.

N2SUB likes this.