ad: M2Ant-1

Using The International Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX4W, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, anyone who berates you for that is a "boob", IMHO. Folks often get the V in my call mixed up with a B - they can sound the same, even over a good repeater connection. Using "Victor" clears that up. Stick with the standards, but be flexible. Semper Gumby!

K3XR and N0TZU like this.
  2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I am playing in the WPX SSB contest a little today, "KV6O" is the rare DX in this contest. Probably 75-80% of the phonetics heard are the NATO phonetics, but that means 20-25% aren't, and that's OK. PJ2T will always be "Papa Japan 2 Tango", if they ever used "Papa Juliet 2 Tango" I wouldn't' think it's the same station. I chuckled when a station was trying to get his suffix across, and struggling... he kept repeating "FOXTROT MIKE", and the station would respond. "AGAIN, AGAIN?", on the 3-4th try he used "FLORIDA MEXICO" and boom, he was in the log. Sound them both out and you'll see why it worked - much more energy with "Florida" and "Mexico" on an noisy SSB circuit.

K3SZ, N0TZU, SP3PW and 1 other person like this.
  3. SP3PW

SP3PW Ham Member QRZ Page

You got the point. Probably the same situation is with my "Sierra Papa Three Papa Whiskey". Then mostly I got on SSB "Sierra Papa Three Papa ..what?" Then I try few times with Whiskey, if it is not working, then Washington usually do. Magic of SSB...

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, and that’s a good example of the syllables of the standards being too similar, (foxtrot), and too short (mike). The syllables in both Florida and Mexico sound very dissimilar in addition to being longer at three syllables.

Ditto.

5. W5EDM

W5EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Being a new ham, the only "problem" I've ran across are entitled, old, grouchy, know it alls who think that their way is the only way and discredit everyone else who doesn't follow their example.

But, thanks for your opinion...
    ...and, have a nice day. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  6. K1BRM

K1BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes BUT you can bet that even if the Russians or North Koreans or whoever our perceived enemy is at the moment don't USE the NATO phonetic alphabet they certainly are trained to UNDERSTAND it!

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Really? REALLY??? o_O

8. W5EDM

NATO phonetics are recommended, but are in no way required or mandated.
    Pretty much..

9. WA7PRC

Rhetorically, should I be impressed that a new ham (< 1 yr) such as you knows more than someone with several decades experience? o_O
    That's what I (and several other "entitled, old, grouchy, know it alls") have stated. o_O

10. W5EDM

I think you just proved my point for me. At no time did I say that I knew more than anyone else, but your defensiveness tells on you. If you wish to not be stereotyped, don't be the stereotyped.

11. WA7PRC

Eh... o_O

12. W5EDM

Have a good evening.. :cool:

13. KG7TUO

KG7TUO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Joe, we're still running the classes. Current one started with 25 students. Looks like we will have a Instant Extra and possibly a second out of this bunch.

My YL went Instant Extra a couple weeks ago.......and hid her studying from me until the week before she tested!!

Oh, and you got your outgoing wish.....they made me the President of the Club this year (VP last year).

KG7TUO King George Seven The Ultimate Operator.......because sometimes standard phonetics just aren't going to put that DX in the log.

14. DO8SAS

DO8SAS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not a licensed op yet, however, listening to a local relay on a regular basis, it really bugs me that the OMs do not spell their callsigns correctly. I mean if you are in the midst of a QSO, that's okay, because you can assume that the other person has already gotten your callsign correctly, but when I was operating with a callsign for training purposes this weekend (thanks to my boss, who encouraged me to get involved), I made sure to use the proper spelling. Even when the other station spelled their callsign improperly (even my boss did, which really annoyed me), I replied to them with the correct spelling....
    There is a reason for the phonetic alphabet..... and I wish that operators would use it more often on our local relay. That would make it easier for me to understand their callsigns.

15. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Mein Schatzie from DL-land has the same endearing issue with the last letter of my call sign :p

All due respect to actor Anton Yelchin too, may he RIP. He did a great job in that role.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019