ad: TinyPaddle-1

Contest is logging required

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KF5NAJ, Mar 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF5NAJ

KF5NAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a casual operator but do not mind answering CQ's in contests, but not interested logging and submitting logs. I do not want to waste operators time, should I answer CQ's or not.
    I may work a few minutes or a hour or two

Thank you

2. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

By all means answer stations calling CQ in contests -- they're looking for as many contacts as they can get.

You don't have to submit a log for your contacts to be valid, so you're not wasting the other operator's time.

HOWEVER ... you must provide the required contest "exchange" information (that you can find in the rules of each contest), which in some contests includes a contact serial number. So for those contests you'll have to keep track of the "number" for each contact even if you don't keep a log with the date, time, band, the other station's exchange, etc.

ALSO ... if you're operating without submitting a log, DON'T MAKE JUST ONE CONTACT, because absent a log from your call sign, your call will be tagged as "unique" and may be interpreted as a call sign that was copied incorrectly, resulting in a penalty for the station you worked. Make at least two, three or four contacts to avoid that possibility.

Jump in and have fun. ;)

W7DCM, KG5THG and K1LKP like this.
  3. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Kind of funny. The whole point of stupid contest is Logging As Many Contacts you can make to earn your Warm Fuzzy Award patch. The more contacts, the Warmer the Fuzzy.

There is a joke buried in there if you can catch it ha ha. Say STD!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

YES, GEORGE
    MEL - KS2G GAVE
    YOU SOME GOOD ADVICE.

JUMP IN AND HAVE FUN
    THE WATER IS WARM.
    CRUISE CONTROL CONTESTER.jpg
    CONTESTING REMEMBER HAVE FUN.jpg
    73 CARMEN.jpg

KS2G likes this.
  5. K1LKP

MEL, YOU OLE RASCAL.

HERE IS A SNAPSHOT FROM MY LOG
    REGARDING A QSO I HAD WID YOU
    DURING A CONTEST
    QSO WITH KS2G.jpg

MEL.... THANK YOU FOR THE LOTW RESPONSE
    ON THAT QSO.

AS FOR AN OLE RASCAL,

I TURN 75 IN APRIL....HIHIHI
    73 CARMEN.jpg

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Logs are not required. Jump in the contest have fun, follow the FCC rules and regs. All the rest is irrelevant.

WA7PRC likes this.
  7. KS2G

Thanks, Carmen.
    With the help of your contact, I finished #1 NLI and #3 Hudson Division SOLP in that contest. :)
    Mel

K1LKP and WR2E like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

KF5NAJ -Just know that if the other guy has too many unconfirmed QSOs in his log he may be penalized or even disqualified. Depends on the contest.

N0TZU likes this.
  9. K1LKP

MEL,
    CONGRATS
    AND
    BRAVO
    KS2G  FIRST PLACE AWARD.jpg
    73 - K1LKP

10. KF5NAJ

OK, I may record the time, frequency and contact number just for the practice

Thanks for the answers

George KF5NAJ

11. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Every contest is different, and you don't want to waste time/effort exchanging and logging unneeded info. Rather than searching for each contest sponsor's info, I just use the WA7BNM Contest Calendar (http://www.hornucopia.com). It lists seemingly ALL contests, in a consistent no-nonsense format. The exchange info, and everything else needed is listed. It is sorted several ways (I usually use the 8-day listings).

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

AG5DB likes this.
  12. KF5NAJ

Thanks again I will use and save Contest Calendar (http://www.hornucopia.com), it answered all my questions

Great site George KF5NAJ

WA7PRC likes this.
  13. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to be an avid contest operator both from my station and the NK7U mega station and contributed to a lot of award winning both at Joe's station and my own. My contesting has decreased significantly and no longer enter with any intention of trying to win anything. I just do it to give the serious (and not so serious) operators some contacts. When I do play in a contest (like WPX this weekend) I do so S & P and make at least 50 contacts just to insure no one is penalized for a "unique" for having worked me. The exceptions will be next month's 7 land QSO Party where I will make a concerted effort to insure Crook County Oregon is represented. While not a contest, also in May during National Police Week I will operate special events station K7P. My goal in both of those events will be to make as many contacts as possible.

WA7PRC likes this.
  14. KS2G

That URL is obsolete.

The correct URL is: https://www.contestcalendar.com/

15. KS2G