ad: Halibut-1

QSO Today Podcast interview with George Allison, K1IG

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Mar 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K2PHD

K2PHD Ham Member QRZ Page

There was also a Wallunbrenner (elephant cage) antenna at Sabana Seca in Puerto Rico.

2. WW5F

WW5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I maintained the computers on the other side of the receivers from the FLR-9 at RAF Chicksands from 1986-1989.

A goniometer is not a venereal disease! :)

3. KE6SLS

KE6SLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This was an unexpected trip into the past...

I was on Guam., NAVCAMSWESTPAC 1982-1984, then on the Blue ridge with 7th flt .. I had used google earth to look at the array on Guam several times, but just about a month ago, was shocked to see the entire array removed :(

These were the days before the birds took over. I always maintained the best HF comms on all the boats I was sent to. I recall running comms for 7th flt since they couldn't get good rx at HF!

Inside the array was a whole community of wokerbees busy exploiting RF activity. The T' brancers, R branchers, and us, the O branchers keeping them all linked. I loved spotting signals in real time, even back then, we usually had a bearing well under 60 seconds! We also had lots of company K marines with us then..

And we used teletype and tape readers. I can still read the tape!

Wow, the world has changed so much. God bless all you silly spooks!

j

4. K4PKR

K4PKR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was in the 2862 Ground Electronic Engineering Installation Agency (GEEIA) in 1966 and helped install the antenna at Karamursel, Turkey. My team worked 12 hour shifts for three months with only Christmas day off. GEEIA squadrond from all over the world provided teams to install this antenna.
    CMSgt P.K. Reid, ret.
    USAF

NL7W likes this.
  5. K1TST

K1TST Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W4KIL

W4KIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was at RAF Chicksands 66-69. We told the blokes that the Flr/9 was a big plug that we would pull and sink the island when we left. Guess it didn't work.

W4MHZ likes this.
  7. N1NA

N1NA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! What a great thread, sure brings back memories! I reenlisted after my tour in Vietnam as ASA with PRD-1 and TRD 21's but joined the AFSS the second and worked the FLR-9 in San Vito (Brindisi) for 18 months, then RAF Chicksands 65-68 (No aircraft no runways). An incredible experience, especially trying to get up to frequency for the DDR spies to try and DF them - about 40% chance getting to get up to the correct frequency in time after the high speed burst from the DDR originating station! Being a short drive to London, everyone celebrated after the murderous mid shifts! I probably have met W4KIL, but was not a ham then. I had no problems with the Extra class code tests (smile).

8. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We used to tell the people in the "vil" that the Field Station was an under ground submarine base and that the subs came up the river from the S. China Sea then through a tunnel into the base. ;);)

9. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, but nobody can afford the shipping charges.

KK4VRE and KK5JY like this.
  11. W4KIL

W4KIL Ham Member QRZ Page

N1NA,
    I was on Charlie most of the time I was there. BUT I had nothing to do with radio. Worked in the computer room(AFSC 685). The guys on burn detail hated us when we brought bags full of punch cards to be incinerated. HI HI.
    Didn't become a ham until late 70's.

12. KH2TJ

KH2TJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Company K was the training command at NTTC Corry Field, Pensacola, FL. Company C, Marine Support Battalion, was the CT Marines at NSGD Guam. We ran two full watch sections of Marines in Building 200, out of a total of four watch sections. Manned 24/7/365...Working the Fleet Flash Net was a kick in the rear! ;-) 73, Todd KH2TJ CT Marine...

13. KE6SLS

KE6SLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the update Todd.

Also, all you lurkers, PLEASE, if you served with us, PLEASE log onto this website:
    https://www.navycthistory.com/

These guys are doing their lever best to help us find one an other as well as log our losses. There are so many wonderful men and women I would love to reconnect with .. No money, just need your service dates and your rating.

tu and 73
    j

14. KN0A

KN0A Ham Member QRZ Page

There was one at Sabana Seca, PR. Fred- KN0A

AE0Q likes this.
  15. KN0A

KN0A Ham Member QRZ Page

AE0Q likes this.