ad: CQMM-1

FreeDV Digital HF Voice QSO Party Apr 27/28th

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK5GR, Mar 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ6ZH

KJ6ZH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an RS-918 and R928+ with FreeDV included in the radio.
    The current firmware is showing FreeDv 1600.
    So I guess it is not compatible with 700C or D.
    Will download and install FreeDV on my shack computer and will try it on my TS590 this weekend.

Need the sponsors to realign or add to the proposed frequencies to match the General portions of the US band plan to maximize participation.

Looking forward to participating in the event.

73 Chris KJ6ZH

K4AGO likes this.
  2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a month to get my extra... ;) But seriously, general frequencies would help.

[edit]

How do you enter FreeDV qso's into LotW? I've read some people using "phone" and others "SSB". There doesn't appear to be a "digital voice" option (or "FreeDV").

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Dan,

The issue is the frequency used for TV is weather sensitive, not the mode.

Also Digital Voice software like FreeDV belong in the digital sub-bands. They use less bandwidth than the Winlink Pactor modems. If the use takes off, then increase the size of the digital sub-bands. Don't mix digital with analog voice.

K4AGO likes this.
  4. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Make no mistake, this "QSO Party" is to let analog users know that DV is here and sucking up some of their available bandwidth. Wrong way to do it.

5. 9A0S

9A0S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will try to communicate from Europe. :)

6. AB2YC

AB2YC Guest QRZ Page

I'll need to make a point of listening for it.

I built a little ORP rig that has Digital Voice built in, and I had it set to the DV freq.
    I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it for the first time.

7. VK2SVN

VK2SVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there some confusion here between Free TV and FreeDV (digital voice)?

8. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am 40 miles from the Charlotte, NC transmitters and broadcast antennas for several of the Charlotte stations. I purchased a new high dollar TV antenna and mounted it 30 feet high. The digital reception in my area is extremely bad; AKA unviewable.

Rain, weather, aircraft and yes, even wind affect the digital signal in adverse ways. It is so bad, I have given up on digital over the air TV. I live on top of a hill and the antenna points through (at) trees 50 yards away.

Analog TV gave much better reception. Living on a hill should help my reception; the trees are probably detrimental to reception.

I now use the internet and a Roku box to stream what I watch. The result is more channels, clean signals and, for the most part, it's free. I do buy Netflix for streaming commercial free movies. I can receive the major Charlotte news channels and weather free. I can also get probably a dozen movie streaming channels with commercials.

I could not get what the Roku box gives me for free even if I lived 100 yards from the transmitters. Unless something drastic changes, I will not go back to over OTA broadcast TV.

John
    K4AGO

9. K4AGO

Nope... The thread got off topic. I am guilty. Please accept my apology.
    John
    K4AGO

10. K4AGO

I'm happy for you. I sincerely wish we had something similar down here in NC.

I hope some day soon I can cross the Walt Whitman bridge again. I really like that area of NJ / PA.
    John
    K4AGO

11. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "The issue is the frequency used for TV is weather sensitive, not the mode"

Waiting for "the study on that". Not. Oh brother ... the myths that abound ...

12. K4AGO

The way I see it (which means absolutely nothing in the scheme of things) voice is converted to data by the software and then transmitted. Data is received and converted back to voice by the software.If I am wrong, I welcome being corrected.
    John
    K4AGO

13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

John, I understand your perspective. But it conflicts with what is presently written into FCC Part 97 rules, where emissions designation indicate the type of information transmitted,

§97.3 Definitions ... (c) The following terms are used in this part to indicate emission types. ...

(2) Data. Telemetry, telecommand and computer communications emission ... D as the third symbol

(5) Phone. Speech and other sound emissions ... E as the third symbol.

These types of information are clarified in 47 CFR § 2.201 - Emission, modulation, and transmission characteristics.

The short-hand official emissions designation code indicates type of information in the third character, ie, Voice via SSB = J3E.

Digital Voice is listed in this doc as emission code F1E, another "E" mode, ie, Voice. Same as SSB.

Therefore DV or any emission designated as third letter "E" is only permitted within FCC Part 97 Phone band segments, NOT in the sub-bands for emissions designated third letter "D" or Data.

If DV were to be designated for BOTH Voice and/or Data, it probably should have the emissions designation third letter "W" instead.

Perhaps it should (?) No shortage of revisions to FCC rules needed to keep pace with innovations!

73, John, WØPV

HEY, this week Friday night in the USA, in two days, is the FreeDV QSO Party. I will be tuning around trying it out. Hope to make some QSO's with y'all!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

WHERE ARE ALL YOU FreeDV guys ??? It's QSO Party time!

Listening / CQn on designated calling freq 14236 KHz.

Also on 7180 KHz now and then.

15. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just had a nice QSO with WB9TLH out of Indiana on 7.175 MHz using FreeDV mode 700D ..

Power on my end was only 50 Watts into vertical FW 40 m loop.

We coordinated using: QSO finder here:

http://qso.freedv.org/

I'll set to listen on 7180 kHz USB FreeDV 700D starting 8:22 AM CDT