ad: M2Ant-1

Solar Storms are a fact of life. An enormous solar storm struck Earth around 591 BC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K1LPI, Mar 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K1LPI

K1LPI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AC7DD, MM0XXW and M1WML like this.
  2. W6KKO

W6KKO Ham Member QRZ Page

That happened when the earth was still flat.

W2TB, KC6HBB, AC7DD and 9 others like this.
  3. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably what drove off the Aliens...

G3SEA, NJ1S, AC7DD and 2 others like this.
  4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

What about propagation ;)

W5MIL and M1WML like this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is why they hardly did any ham radio back then.

N4AHO, G3SEA, N5VAF and 5 others like this.
  6. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

roll on solar cycle 25..
    :eek:

G3SEA and NJ1S like this.
  7. KW1NG

KW1NG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

their equipment was all tube then so it didn't matter..

W2TB, G3SEA, N4AHO and 6 others like this.
  8. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not worried about high energy protons...it's the high energy morons that have me scared.

W2TB, VE4MAR, KN4LGM and 17 others like this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And rock bound too.

N4AHO and KK5JY like this.
  10. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "A storm like this today would cause enormous damage to our technology."

A *lot* was learned from the event in 1989. A lot of transmission line operators "ops" manuals were re-written ... we get notification ahead of time and those procedures are put into practice.

NA4RA, KK5JY and AC7DD like this.
  11. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP got the dates wrong.
    Here is the info from the article:

"Evidence of an enormous solar storm that struck the Earth around 2,610 years ago has been found in ice cores from Greenland.
    These phenomena, called solar proton events (SPEs), represent a threat to modern society in terms of communication and navigation systems, space technologies, and commercial aircraft operations.
    Evidence of such events is recorded in annually resolved natural archives, such as tree rings and ice cores (drilled samples of ice).
    To learn more about SPEs, Lund University’s Professor Raimund Muschelerand his colleagues from Sweden, France, Switzerland, Korea, the UAE, and the US analyzed ice cores from Greenland.
    The material contained evidence of a very powerful solar storm that occurred in 591 BC.
    It is only the third such event reliably documented and is comparable with the strongest SPE detected at 775 CE.
    “We also took part in research that confirmed the existence of two other massive solar storms, using both ice cores and the annual growth rings of old trees,” Professor Muscheler explained.
    “Those storms took place in 775 CE and 994 CE.”
    The findings were published online this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences."
    Paschal O’Hare et al. Multiradionuclide evidence for an extreme solar proton event around 2,610 B.P. (∼660 BC). PNAS, published online March 11, 2019; doi: 10.1073/pnas.1815725116​

12. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Info again Bonnie I remember a large CME years ago back when Art Bell was on 80# meters & the band went dead ! the next morning I read that 3 satellites DIED ! big communication "BIRDS" as we at AMSAT say ! By the way the "Alpha Hotels" keep showing up ! Hi Hi 73' Phil KI6PMD..

KI7PMQ and KQ6XA like this.
  13. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

oh i like fairy tales---there so exciteing-----So when does the white knight ride across the sky to save us all.......

14. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So if I got the dates correct, roughly speaking 1500 years between the first two events, 200 between the second and third, and then 800 until the Carrington event. Not much of a pattern (not much data though).

AC7DD likes this.
  15. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Soon. I have to finish lunch first.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K8NY, AC7DD, KA4KOE and 1 other person like this.