ad: MyersEng-1

Using The International Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX4W, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’d wish everyone use standard NATO/ICAO phonetic alphabet. However having had the X-Ray in my call; many times I faced the situation when the X-Ray was falsely received as the Echo. So I was literally forced to use non-standard words like a Xylophone, Xavier and so on. Moreover, having a QSO with non-native English speaking operator it could be easier to use operator’s national alphabet if only you know its difference from standard NATO/ICAO. The most important IMO is to complete QSO especially if one is working rare DX. So why couldn’t we use anything non-standard? And yes again, I wish everyone use only standard alphabet. Whatever.
    73 from Uruguay Tenerife Siete Uruguay Xilófono. :)

2. K3CGG

K3CGG Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally wish everything was a "bit" more universal. Alot of good points were made on both sides of this thread (debate?)
    I understand that having a phonetic code is helpful, however, if DX participants do NOT use the code, and we as DX hounds would like to QSO with them, we may sometimes have to bend the rules.

Believe me, I get it. It's like playing a game of Hangman trying to figure out a foreigner's call sign when words like "Sugar" (pronounced SHOO-GA) instead of Sierra are used. Thank GOD for DX Summit. And even THEN sometimes ppl get the wrong call!

I worked a couple of stations that the English (universal language for Amateur radio also???) they spoke was so poor that the callsign was incorrect on the DX Summit site. Everyone followed suit because the first contact entered the callsign incorrectly. He spoke so quickly slurring out his call that one letter was missed. I was fortunate enough to hear it but hundreds of ppl that followed got the wrong call sign. Such a shame that he may lose credit in the contest for all those wrong calls.

...best way to handle this situation is to follow suit. I generally use the NATO phonetics when casually talking. But when DX contesting, I go with what I am hearing on the frequency since it seems to be understood. If a contact is made and the exchange is Sugar Papa Five King Japan instead of NATO phonetics, and it is understood, then I will also use the DX stations phonetic code in order to make my contact.

KR3DX and W8LV like this.
  3. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly.

4. N8QIK

N8QIK Ham Member QRZ Page

My name is Mark sometimes I use Mexico instead of Mike when spelling my name because when they hear Mike then they think my name is Mike. But I understand exactly what you're saying and I agree

KR3DX likes this.
  5. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

So what you are saying is: That using NATO phonetics cannot/should NOT be used in ham radio, even though the phonetics have been specifically chosen to decrease ambiguity across all languages on point-to-point radio circuits, and IS understood by most speakers Worldwide...

I guess that this makes the ITU conventions an Insidious Dastardly Plot, part of the Secret One-World Government. They want to confond our speech, and eventually on this Slippery Slope of Dastardly Deceit, sooner or later? We will ALL be forced to use.... ESPERANTO PHONETICS!

Yankee
    Oscar
    Uniform

Mike
    India
    Sierra
    Sierra
    Echo
    Delta

Tango
    Hotel
    Echo

Papa
    Oscar
    India
    November
    Tango

Echo
    November
    Tango
    India
    Romeo
    Echo
    Lima
    Yankee.

And English? Yes, that's pretty much the Universal Language. Aircraft, Business.

And, it could be Worse!
    In spite of Efforts by the Francophones to make FRENCH the International Language...this little matter was "Settled" so to speak, at the Bataille des Plaines d'Abraham. In 1759.

And they have been trying to pretend that it never happened ever since...

One recalls when on signs at International Ports, they once had signage where the name in French predominately appeared first. Well, I guess that you do have to give them credit for trying...

How do you feel about "Q" signals?

10-4 Good Buddy! ;-)

73 DE W8LV

AI7PM likes this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, that's not what I am saying. Please read Post 216

7. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

;-)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  8. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yankee! Got it! ;-)

9. W8LV

W8LV Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be... I wouldn't be suprised:

In Russia, you don't Tell Time: Time Tells You!

Stalin rids the Proletariat of that Capitalist Spring Ahead, Fall Back Nonsense for Good:

From Wiki: "On 21 June 1930, the Soviet Union advanced all clocks by one hour, effectively making the nation run on daylight saving time all year."

And there it stayed.

(From National Geographic) “Stalin changed the clocks in the spring of 1930,” Downing explains. “He forced all of the Soviet Union onto [daylight saving time]. And then in October he forgot to tell the Soviets to fall back. So the clocks in every Russian time zone were off by an hour for 61 years.”

Until Yeltsin (apparently by all accounts, a fan of "Happy Hour") changes it back...On 1 April 1981, when daylight saving time (two hours ahead of standard time) was re-introduced:

(From National Geographic) "Soviet officials corrected the mistake in March 1991 by not leaping forward at the typical time. The Evening Moscow newspaper advised readers to not move their clock hands, but simply “go to bed as usual.”"

I wish our time zone would stay the same all year around (I don't care WHICH hour, just pick ONE and go with that!)
    And make 24 hour time the thing referred to commonly. And use the Metric System. And write dates: Year/Month/Day from bigger to smaller, same as time: Bigger to smaller.

73 DE W8LV

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    KB2PNN and K8XG like this.
  10. AI1G

AI1G XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I hate the phonetics which ever list you use. E has got to one of the hardest letter to get across. I hear back B, T, D, G. How do you extract those from the word ECHO? They do it. Phonetics in some people is as difficult as CW. And as far as QSL is concerned, put it on a card not on the air to confirm something. Ever since I read someone's objection to "QSL" in voice transmissions, it hit a sore spot in me. I try to avoid the phrase to confirm something. A lot of Q codes have no place in voice communications, period. I guess that comes from my military and telephone background, as numbers just go in one ear and drop out the other side of my head.....

VK6APZ/SK2022 and WA7PRC like this.
  11. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes that is a good thing, it sorts correctly with any normal sort instead of requiring a date sort ;)

I end my report files for example, Report-XYZ-2019-03-10.rpt and they sort perfect

WU8Y and KR3DX like this.
  12. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in the UK, we have always pronounced it as "Kwee-Beck".

And Z is "Zed", not "Zee"!

Walt (G 3 New York Yankees)

13. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Walt,
    There are several alternate pronunciations of Quebec.
    However, when using ITU/ICAO/NATO phonetics, it should always be pronounced as directed in the standard.
    Coincidentally, the standard pronunciation is also very close to the way Quebec is pronounced in the Canadian Province of Quebec.

How to pronounce Q
    (QUEBEC)

14. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's nice.

15. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

November Lima Seven What?
    NL7 What checking in... or, NL7 Wow checking in... or, NL7 doble ve checking in.

Whiskey is for my men, beer for my horses.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019