ad: cq2k-1

FreeDV Digital HF Voice QSO Party Apr 27/28th

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK5GR, Mar 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is different

2. K3DFD

IMHO, it looks like fun. One of things this Ham is sure of, my next home will probably have an HOA and less space. Digital modes are friendly to downsizing. So is CW, but after 45 years of radio, I still struggle with it.

Lets play with FreeDV! Its on my calendar.

K4AGO and KK4HPY like this.
  3. K3DFD

Can I humbly suggest that flaming just stop altogether? I dunno about everyone else, but boy am I tired of the current state of human discourse. I just want to enjoy life, play with my toys and get along with my fellow man. I really can't find the energy to give a rat's ass about politics and just about anything else. Even if you think something posted here is dumb, can I ask that you just ignore it...unless it's dangerous and needs to be addressed. If not, just ignore me please.

K4AGO likes this.
  4. K3DFD

From another Philly guy (me), one neat thing about the Roxborough antenna farm is that it is HUGE and impossible to miss, even from most rooftops in the area. If you're ever in the region, get to clear site and look around towards the Schuylkill River. You can't miss them. Some will argue, but I think they're beautiful.

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm just an analog guy, I think there was a famous amateur radio operator that had a song entitled that. I'm sick of hearing digital signals on the VHF channels when I scan driving. Now HF too.
    I'm sure I'll get a lot of negative responses from this comment , but he only digital I do is, CW!!!!
    On DTV, it's terrible in rural areas where I live but I love it when my wife and I are traveling in our RV around metropolitan areas there's lots of additional new channels.

KG5GCC likes this.
  6. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I have seen the Roxborough farm from the expressway. Used to travel into S. Jersey via the Walt Whitman or Ben Franklin bridge into Collingswood. Can't miss that for sure! You probably wouldn't guess that people as far away as me are tuning in with ease. Channels 3, 6, 10, Fox, PBS, etc come in beautifully up here in Schuylkill County.

K4AGO and K3DFD like this.
  7. K3DFD

In case anyone wonders what they look like at night, here's a pic from my nephew's house up the street from the Ivy Ridge SEPTA train station

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FvfZZbFeePTGbhJW9

[​IMG]

8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that is a beautiful sight! But besides that I did install the FreeDV today and got it working, I think. I was able to listen to a station briefly and they sounded good. But he was the only one of several that I could decode. I intend to play with it some more and perhaps participate in the party if time allows. It's never going to replace my CW because I don't really operate any kind of voice much. But I like the limited bandwidth footprint of the FreeDV.

K3DFD likes this.
  9. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. KA2K

FreeDV is a data mode. The fact that the data contains voice information is irrelevant.

From article:
    "Speech is compressed down to 700-1600 bit/s then modulated onto a 1.25 kHz wide signal comprised of 16 QPSK carriers which is sent to the Mic input of a SSB radio."

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    W3DJ likes this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think the signal source being voice information (compared to text or telemetry) is irrelevant, and the actual definition of HF DV in regards to FCC regs as a data vs voice mode IMO is ambiguous. I have been casually searching for a reference to clarify with no joy yet.

The reference link Operating Tips you linked in post #39 indicated DV activity on 20m, 14.236 USB. That would suggest it is being considered a voice mode.

If DV is to be classified as a data mode, not voice, that presents an equally bad situation for the proposed DV QSO Party. According to FCC Amateur band charts, data modes are prohibited on the event sponsor suggested operating frequencies for 80, 40, and 10 meters, as well as on 14.236 USB as suggested.

It can't be both ways, voice AND data o_O and if so, that's another regulatory train-wreck. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    K4AGO likes this.
  12. KA2K

Good Point(s)

13. KG5GCC

KG5GCC Ham Member QRZ Page

SSTV is a Data mode and yet it is in the phone section of 20M at 14.230

KF4ZKU likes this.
  14. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

KF4ZKU and KG5GCC like this.