ad: MLSons-1

Using The International Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX4W, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2019-3-7_11-54-0.png

K5PO, WU8Y, WZ7U and 3 others like this.
  2. K1XV

K1XV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So I really shouldn't use Kiss One X-rated Vermonter ??

WQ4G and K1ZBT like this.
  3. K7UU

K7UU Ham Member QRZ Page

It has never made any sense to me why phonetics include one, two and three syllables names. Why not standardize all on two syllables?

4. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

It's easy for the licensee of the call to adhere to these phonetic standards but how about when the other guy or girl uses non-standard phonetics when returning your call?

There have been a couple of times back in Arizona when a local Prescott Az. ham would return my local CQ on 6 or 10 meters with the following>> WHEN BUYING 8 VIRGINS LOOK CLOSELY.......this is ....

K1ZBT likes this.
  5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They mainly wanted to make the 26 words easy to distinguish from one another, and also easy to recognize as phonetics. They had to:

1) Avoid rhyming or similar sounding words within the alphabet.
    2) Avoid words that rhyme with or sound similar to words outside the phonetic alphabet, across common languages.
    3) Choose words that are easy to pronounce and recognize, both by English speakers and by people whose native language is not English.

They didn't perfectly achieve all of those goals, because the goals somewhat conflict with one another. Adding constraints on the number of syllables would force more compromises on the more important criteria.

KR3DX, W8LV, AC5WT and 3 others like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

You escaped from NJ, so did I, some years ago. You have won the right to use any phonetics you like. Did you notice when you leave NJ via a toll bridge, you only need to pay one way...OUT!!

K1XV likes this.
  7. WW1I

WW1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Except that is not true. The Russians use the same standard we do. Been there, done that.

K2WPM, W8LV, WQ4G and 1 other person like this.
  8. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahhhh but most hams are like blizzard snowflakes, unique, special, not made to follow any "rules" or even "suggestions".

b4b.gif

W8LV and K1ZBT like this.
  9. KM5QS

KM5QS Ham Member QRZ Page

If they can not understand you , turn on the 77sx , life is to short for qrp. If you can not understand them , build a better antenna , or accept the fact that there is no propagation. And always remember ---free will --- if you do not enjoy it don't do it. And most important , do not ever force your opinions on those who don't care.
    KING MERCURY 5 QUICK SILVER 73

KX1MAD, K3XR and K1ZBT like this.
  10. K4MKM

K4MKM Ham Member QRZ Page

As a new ham but a 20+ year airline pilot, I agree 100% with WX4W's post.

I was amazed at some of the "lingo" that I hear on HF.

In my opinion, it makes it harder to decipher what the letter is in a pileup when not transmitted using the IPA.

My .02

W9AT, N4AHO, M0UMG and 11 others like this.
  11. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_spelling_alphabet

They use a different alphabet. My point is that what is standard in one part of the world may not be here, and vice versa.

What do you do when the DX station tells you the temperature is 20C? Tell him he's using the wrong standard?

K3XR likes this.
  12. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    K0PV/SK2023, WU8Y, WZ7U and 3 others like this.
  13. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't count the number of times that poor band conditions has made it impossible to convey a single-syllable "Mike" for "M". It's only when I invent some other common word that's more resilient to QRN that I get my meaning across.

KE4KY and N0TZU like this.
  14. K8NY

K8NY Ham Member QRZ Page

Right on, the only requirement now is your First Personal.

K1ZBT likes this.
  15. K5TCJ

K5TCJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How about this:
    We all speak different languages. We pronounce consonants and vowels differently. Words in one language don’t always translate to the intended letter/number in another language. But we can all memorize the spoken sound of the same 26 words that translate to letters, to help get the message through.

WU8Y, KR3DX, WQ4G and 3 others like this.