ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Using The International Phonetic Alphabet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX4W, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

We are all free to use the phonetic alphabet we like, NATO or otherwise, that includes no specific standard at all. Can find no convincing argument to adopt any standard let alone a specific one. If one feels they should make the case for a standard, please feel free to do so.

WA7PRC likes this.
  2. KN4KEY

KN4KEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always found that in less than optimal conditions, a slight change to the alphabet helps a lot, like sayin “Kilowatt” instead or “Kilo.”

JA6XZS, KR3DX, KE4KY and 2 others like this.
  3. KN4PWL

KN4PWL Ham Member QRZ Page

As a relatively new HAM operator (October 2018) I do find it confusing when operators use other than the NATO phonetic alphabet, especially during contesting.
    The problem that I have, especially, when call signs are spoken fast, (or at least fast to a new operator) is catching the whole call sign and writing it down correctly.
    I know that it is not mandatory to use the NATO phonetic alphabet, however, when studying for the Technician and General class license, I thought that it was
    common place to use a standardized phonetic alphabet.
    You guys that have been in this great hobby for years, have developed a "ear" to "translate" the "words" to letters, and as time goes by, I am picking it up faster, and
    can write down the call signs correctly. Be patient with us new operators, and try to remember the frustration that can come with a new hobby.

W7GG, K1BRM, K2WPM and 3 others like this.
  4. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't really care to talk to that guy if we can't have a decent conversation. In that situation I spin the dial and stay out of the way.

1 person likes this.
  5. K0CV

K0CV Ham Member QRZ Page

Some flexibility is occasionally needed. I was in a contest years ago as N9GC and a French station just couldn't wrap his head around November Nine Golf Charlie. Finally I decided that Normandy is a province in France, Neuf means Nine in French but was stuck for the rest. Then I realized that any Frenchman over the age of 30 would remember Charles de Gaulle whose massive ego earned him the title of "Le Gran Charles" in the French press. I came back with Normandy Neuf Gran Charles and the response was instant: "Ah N9GC!"
    Similar issue in SSB contest as WCØV. The Eastern Europeans had a hard time with the letters and the phonetics. I resorted to the German pronunciation Vee, Cee, Null WEE. worked liked a charm. Like I said, you need to be flexible. One size doesn't fit all.

KC7JNJ, JA6XZS, KR3DX and 3 others like this.
  6. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Brought to you by the same people that say shipping CONUS is obsolete.

WZ7U, WA7PRC and K3XR like this.
  7. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can think of one reason: Romeo and Juliet can confuse operators trying to sift through a bunch of calls.

My call ends Juliet, and several times after answering a CQ the operator came back, "Charlie Alpha Romeo????" I suspect that when an operator's mental effort is focused on several things at once, those two phonetics sort of flip the same switch in their brain.

8. WX4W

WX4W Ham Member QRZ Page

Carl it sounds like your creativity got the message through...congrats! Hopefully there are some German, French and other hams that will make the case for standardization so that their next QSO's won't be so hard to understand. Really I think these arguments make the case for standardization rather than against it. That being said I do understand that there will always be the stubborn ones who will go their own way!

AC5WT and W6SAE like this.
  9. WX4W

WX4W Ham Member QRZ Page

Damn that Shakespeare guy. (kidding)

10. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that everyone should use a STANDARD.

I wish I had a Nickle for every time a DX station mistakes India for Radio..... Or Echo for Alpha....

XX-0-ZZZ Q R Zet?

Kilo India 4 Alpha X-ray...

Kilo Radio 4 Alpha X-ray your 59...

Negative, Kilo INDIA 4 Alpha X-ray

Kilo Radio 4 Alpha X-ray?

Negative, Kilo India 4 Alpha X-ray...

Uh, Kilo Radio 4 Echo X-ray?

Negative negative, Kilo INDIA 4 ALPHA X-ray - Kilo INDIA 4 ALPHA X-ray...

Kilo Italy 4 Echo X-ray?

NEGATIVE NEGATIVE, Kilo India 4 ALPHA X-ray - Kilo India 4 ALPHA X-ray

Echo X-ray? Echo X-ray? What is your suffix?

ALPHA X-RAY - ALPHA X-ray - ALPHA X-ray

Roger roger, I have it now. Kilo Italy 4 Alpha X-ray...

QSL QSL, This is Kilo India 4 Alpha X-ray you're 59

OK, thank you and good luck... XX-0-ZZZ Q R Zet?

What is my report? What is my report?

Kilo Italy 4 Alpha X-ray you're 59...

Thank you and 73's

XX-0-ZZZ Q R Zet?

I'm sure you've been there...... Not very efficient during a contest. Makes for lower QSO rates.

Dan KI4AX

W6SAE and K9GLS like this.
  11. K1ZBT

K1ZBT Subscriber QRZ Page

This is entertaining for sure....

K8XG, N1NDN and KC2DHU like this.
  12. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a very valid point. Contesting is an area where NON-STANDARD phonetics can win the day (and maybe the contest).
    A few examples:
    N6HC, Arnold...N6 HOTEL CALIFORNIA...I can't remember how may times I've worked him in a contest but if you're a contester you better believe his call stands out with those phonetics. Of course, we have computers now but going back to the "all paper" days did not even need to check the dup sheet to know I already worked him. In fact, recalled if we worked the previous year.

K2XR, Dave... K2 X RATED. Dave lives not that far from me and we have worked a number of times over the years frequently in VHF/UHF contests. If you don't think Dave gets attention (think points) when he calls CQ contest, this is K 2 X RATED than you may not know too much about contesting.

W3KKN, Ernie (SK)...W3 KING KING NELLIE. Worked Ernie in many contests and at least in 25 separate Jan. VHF SS. Similar to N6HC never a problem with his call and immediately knowing you had already worked him so you can move on.

I love uniformity in things like the military or law enforcement but ham radio is a hobby engaged in mainly for fun. Enjoy it and disregard the "phonetics police".

13. K5XOM

K5XOM Ham Member QRZ Page

When someone says Kilowatt, I automatically think K W is the prefix. It does throw me off.

K2ACD, WU8Y, KK4DAS and 6 others like this.
  14. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

What "Standard"? I understand here in the US we like (and use) the NATO phonetics, but there are many "standards". And you example is exactly why be flexible is important - NATO phonetics don't often work in other parts of the world. There is nothing in Part 97 about a "standard". I suspect the Russians use their standard, not the NATO standard...

This is a hobby. We're not vectoring aircraft around dangerous weather. Use what is most effective given the conditions and audience.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    WZ7U, KE4KY and K3XR like this.
  15. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I always repeat it bk just as incorrectly as it was received i.e. KW3XR.... and they always sound amazed with that.
    Another good reason for my leaving the good ol boy "Bubba got him a radio" SSB ranks and going full-time CW.
    None of this nonsense there.
    Sounding foolish must outweigh sounding professional these days I suppose.

AI7PM likes this.