ad: elecraft

Tour the Russian 'Woodpecker' (DUGA): Featured in CNN Travel News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NE2I

NE2I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Open wire feeders.... The Toad harbor boys would be proud......

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip removed comment, in spirit of cordiality.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Chip & Rege - knock off the endless barbs. Debate is fine - but all the personal barbs at each other are getting near the line and starting to poison the thread.

It's otherwise an interesting discussion that is on the way to being locked.

Thanks!

Dave
    W7UUU
    [Wearing my Moderator hat which I rarely do in a discussion thread]

K0CBA likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Connect a KW amp output directly to another transceiver.

What happens?

You can do a lot of damage with 1000 watts...

Chip W1YW

5. ZL4IV

ZL4IV Ham Member QRZ Page

Video was UN-inspiring, if they knew the significance of the equipment they were flying their drones around then there could of been some good shots of the feeders, dipoles and other gear. Reasonable effort but typical of dumb down tech users. Sorry for the alternative response but they missed a perfect opportunity to gain knowledge but instead seeked personal thrills over knowledge. Very typical of what the education system produces.

AI3V and WN1MB like this.
  6. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

My father W7VQH sk always said "It's all in the antenna" Looks to be the case at the DUGA site. Feed lines look a little small for all that power stated. King sized fractal maybe??

Would be fun to load into it....5-9

Interesting, WA6VVC.

W1YW likes this.
  7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No. It is called an Antenna Array.

KM1H and AI3V like this.
  8. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Where were their animal experiments - didn't they do animal experiments first? Even the Soviets had 'bean counters' to judge the 'level of efficacy' when their rubles were being spent ...

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt very much the 'ladderlines' (if that's what they are)were the original feeds. Certainly they would take relatively little power for the system as it was, in either mode.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

What ARE you talking about?

Why is there a deviation to biologics? I don't get it.

11. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed. The "RF as a weapon" idea has long been hindered by inverse-square, among other considerations. To bank-shot weaponized RF off the ionosphere is definitely in the neighborhood of science fiction. When you look at how much energy it takes to make an effective EMP at a distance of just a few hundred miles above a target, there's no way Duga could do similar damage, no matter how big the Chernobyl plant might have been.

There is no doubt that the Duga station would have a made a smashing good jamming transmitter, however. There are many witnesses to that use of the station. ;)

12. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

What is it, coax or waveguide?

You do understand "waveguide" is simply parallel wire transmission Line supported by a infinite number of shorted quarter wavelength stubs?

In other words a pipe with nothing inside it?

Rege

13. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

What?

Waveguide beyond cutoff?

Or a box with many many in-bypassed wires in and out.

Can you say TEMPEST?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEMPEST

In any case there was never such a device on Madagascar.

Rege

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess its fun to ignore the math...

OK, enjoy. No biggie to me if you want to impose a belief system.

On a related notes, I am taking bets on how long it will take for the DUGA to fall down...

50 years?

150 years?

500 years?

15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I wondered much the same thing... in looking at lots of photos clearly showing lots of rust, the fact the array was begun in 1972 and has not been maintained since the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 (likely not much maintained for years prior to that even), and considering its own sheer massive weight and wind load, I'd say 50 years more, tops. Probably less IMO.

Just my guess...

Dave
    W7UUU

W1YW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.