ad: Halibut-1

2019 State of Ham Radio Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8RMA, Mar 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Control. It's all about control.

K3XR and NU4R like this.
  2. K1HMS

K1HMS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nor do I (fans, fire, or flames). I belong to a active club with a focus on getting younger people into the hobby. Data is useful as we expend a lot of time and resources.

3. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dustin,
    Can you do a survey why the code requirements SHOULD BE BROUGHT BACK to become an amateur radio requirement? Or, what has the elimination OF the previous requirements of the simple discipline of learning CW DONE to amateur radio?

And, how about a survey as to why hams CONTINUE to move into HOA communities, knowing VERY WELL what THEY'VE bought into yet, IMMEDIATELY, begin to 6itch, moan, whine and cry the moment they're prohibited from putting up any old antenna they want to?

Good job nevertheless Dustin!

W4KVW and KA1FWW like this.
  4. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

While I dont agree with all the conclusions of (they show some bias) , The questions are pretty good and 90% of them are valid and the data from them is useful information. They're much better than some of the Quick stats the ARRL asks , they seemed to be designed to elicit a certain response , presumably so the data can be used to justify some decision that has already been made. I still answer them but with both eyes open !

The most important piece of data I saw was the distibution of participation vs licensees , That tells you alot about who's active. My bet is that the 6% of Techs that responded will be the same people who will go on to get General and Extra.

Your questions seem to be pretty unbiased and they don't tend to sway you . So I like your data.

5. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

The first question is easy to answer , of all the hams that I've worked with over the years the vast majority passed a code requirement . And they're still in. The ones that didn't come and go through the revolving door.

As far as HOAs go some may be getting annexed. Forced in. HOAs are treated as government entities , they have some if not all the same powers(they pave roads , pick up the garbage , collect mandatory fees , exact fines ,ect...), they behave like a municipality . It varies from state to state .

KF4ZKU and KA1FWW like this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting annexed by who/what?

7. KA1FWW

KA1FWW Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone ever hear the Phil Hendries Radio Show with episodes of "Bobby Dooley, HOA President"?
    Absolute riot. Bobby is a woman (voice by Phil) confronting callers against her plan to enter people's garages to verify they have proper seat belts in their cars among an endless multitude of trivial and invasive HOA infractions that she will uncover and punish. Absolute riot, can probably be found on youtube.

8. N1KFC

N1KFC Ham Member QRZ Page

I started answering the survey but partway through, I chose not to answer some questions but since they are required, I dumped the survey. FYI.

K2LED and WN1MB like this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

You had nice things? :eek:
    :D

W8JBM likes this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Darn! Missed one. Should have read:

"They're ewe Gogh again about spell Czech."

I feel much better now...

11. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

In many places you have only a few choices: 1) Move into an HOA community, 2) move into a run down high-crime community, or 3) move so far away from your work that you spend hours every day commuting.

The damn things are everywhere - like fungus.

KF4ZKU and K0TWA like this.
  12. WD4IGX

I've never heard of THAT! Here the only way for an HOA to come about where there isn't one already is for 70% of the home owners to vote to do so. Most of them are set up by the developers of new housing developments.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen somewhere of course, I just never heard of an HOA being able to "annex" anyone.

I can't wait for my land in the boonies. If I could afford it I'd buy a mountain top. And fence the entire mountain in. With concertina wire. And a moat. With alligators. And maybe piranha...

W6MQI, WA9WSJ, KQ4MM and 1 other person like this.
  13. KE7WNB

KE7WNB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not aware of an HOA annexing any areas either. But, here in the Portland, Oregon metro area, all developments (thats I'm aware of) have an HOA. I followed the sale of some farmland and the development of it, and the county/city required the developer to create the HOA so that the country/city isn't responsible for the utilities in the development. But not all HOA's restrict antennas, etc. I'm not sure when the development/HOA connection started. But most newer homes will be in an HOA. We made sure to buy an older home that is not part of a development and therefore no HOA.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  14. WD4IGX

When I bought my house it had an optional HOA - I never joined. Some flooding in 2009 did massive damage to the pool and tennis courts and the HOA disbanded. I have looked around for my next house and it's possible to find them not in HOAs but they do all seem to be older. My plan is to move to the north Georgia mountains anyway where people even oppose zoning and an HOA would never go. It's a very, um, independent minded area. :)

KF4ZKU, W8JBM and WN1MB like this.
  15. N8RMA

N8RMA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those are some excellent questions, ones that I will consider heavily for 2020. If you compare the survey from back in 2017 to today, you'll find that much of it has grow from suggestions just like this.

I appreciate the feedback and look forward to bring those to the table in 2020!

KK4HPY likes this.