ad: elecraft

Tour the Russian 'Woodpecker' (DUGA): Featured in CNN Travel News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip, terrorism (freedom fighters, revolutionaries) is asymmetric warfare; MAD is symmetric. Duga was built in the MAD era, cold war.

2. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the Wood Pecker in my log.

K5HFG and K4KP like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. But the second function was asymmetric: offensive, quick, and unexpected.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

A CRUDE estimate of the antenna gain...

8 x 15 array = 120 elements. (I may have counted wrong, please correct).

Each element has roughly 6 dBi (with GP)

ROUGH gain = 6dBi + (about) 21 dB = 27 dBi.

ERP estimate, attack mode (no losses)....

log P(Chernobyl)+ 27 + 13 (focussing) dBW

If P(Chernobyl) is 4 GW....

ERP (rough) = 96dBW +40 = 136 dBW

This is too high; probably lose 6+ dB for cabling limitations .

Call it roughly 130 dBW (max).

With losses, 120 dBW is conservative....

That's a terawatt+. At HF.

Arecibo is about 2 terawatts at 430MHz, for comparison.

Take into account prop /path losses(Friis, not radar equation...one way), but add large number of delivered impulses for irradiated damage. IOW add another 20 dB after subtracting the prop losses, to get the delivered power to target.

Your calc...

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I get well over a KW irradiated **at target**....

If my 120 dBW is too conservative, (try 123 dBW) that can easily be a megawatt at target.

Nasty stuff.

6. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Notwithstanding the soviets (both old and re-branded) hate us, Duga was a great first attempt at OTH detection and tracking. Unfortunately for the soviets, it was not very good at targeting incoming aircraft, so from the bang-per-buck perspective, it was a bad deal .... so it's now defunct. As P/Od at us as they are now, I wouldn't be surprised if they resurrected some sort of new OTH copy of US technology ... after all, the Chicoms certainly are!

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm...typo. Not megawatt. 130 dBw gets you over 10KW at target.

Not easy to shield, on surface, 10KW at HF....

It is interesting that the frequencies chosen produce resonances on rocket-long platforms.

8. K9NR

K9NR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pretty typical CNN "report" full of gross technical errors and inaccuracies. When "reporting" technological stories, the pop news media seems to lack any credible experts and often produces claptrap worthy of a supermarket tabloid. Fortunately for CNN, there is no shortage of cretins who love to wallow pseudo-science and conspiracy theories

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    W2JEL likes this.
  9. K5HFG

K5HFG Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember many cw QSO's obliterated by this peckerwood back in the 70's. Glad it is dead.
    Don

10. W4MHZ

W4MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well lets see. BACK OF ENVELOPE APPROXIMATION
    I estimate the one array to be 18 x 18 dipoles.
    18 x 18 = 324 dipoles.
    Gain of the array is going to be about 27 dBd So 1 kw in is going to look like about 350kw EIRP
    10 kw in is going to look like about 3.5 megawatts EIRP and so forth; 100 kw in 35 megawatts EIRP
    That is for ONE of the arrays. I believe there were 4 arrays?

N4JTH likes this.
  11. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Assuming 1kW into Duga at 27 dBd gain, received power at Chicago (into a dipole) for path length of 8100 km at 14 MHz is -42 dBm. (More or less for an ionospheric path)

Scale accordingly for greater or lesser xmtr power.

KK5JY likes this.
  12. CT7ANG

CT7ANG Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to copy this array and planning was thrown out!!

Councils are just not ham radio friendly these days.

W1FVB and K6CLS like this.
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I built one but hid it my attic ... thank goodness I have a really big attic ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

14. WA3YRE

WA3YRE Ham Member QRZ Page

In 1979 I was on a cargo ship that called on Maputo in Mozambique. The chief mate and I were both hams. As we started into harbor he told me to knock off that he would take over my duties and I was to go to my stateroom and hide my ham gear as he had just done with his.

Just before I tore things down I took a fast listen on 20 meters. I had pegged S meter on my Argonaut 509 from the woodpecker. I took the antenna off and it was still pegged. After that I quickly secured my equipment in the bottom of my seabag with clothes on top. I left out only my portable sw rx.

When I went up on deck to resume my duties I saw a huge HF array similar to the one in the photos in this article on an island to our starboard (north side of the channel). I have no idea how much RF exposure there was but I am sure it was very high, especially when I could have the S meter pegged with no antenna in a steel box with a 13 or so inch opening (port hole).

With modern satellite one wonders why such HF radar is needed. I expect it is because those countries who have built the HF OTHR have the means and plans to destroy satellites in orbit and feel that others do as well.

ALPHASIERRA6, W1YW and WN1MB like this.
  15. IW2DMO

IW2DMO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.