ad: CQMM-1

Coastal HF RADAR Program

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA0KA, Feb 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tyler,

Yes, the HF radars around the Pacific are quite strong here on the west coast of California.
    When I was in Hong Kong, we heard a 50kHz and 100kHz bandwidth radar that visited 40 metres for hours on end... sometimes S9+60dB... and we all knew where it was coming from.

The 2o metre example I posted earlier probably wasn't JORN... it didn't have JORN's characteristic centre-of-sweep unmodulated CW that immediately precedes the usual JORN sweep.

Your videos and commentary on the radars are quite informative.
    Please keep up the good work.

A lot of the west coast CODAR / Seasondes that were in and near the 5 MHz ham band have moved down to 4 MHz recently.
    There were a couple of CODARs on Oahu that covered the 27MHz CB band near Honolulu.

KA0KA likes this.
  2. KQ6XA

Here is a one minute waterfall HF spectrum snapshot of a few minutes ago, Saturday morning here in California.
    Some of the signals annotated: coastal ocean radars (CODAR) and HF radars (RADAR) and IONOSONDEs.

[​IMG]

N0TZU and KA0KA like this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the ARRL Spectrum Defense aware of these I wonder what they would say?

KQ6XA likes this.
  4. KQ6XA

:D

There is an ancient saying:
    "Does the fire dragon fear the origami tiger?"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    WZ4K, N0TZU and W0PV like this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

And then there's Puff the magic dragon, and Little Jackie Paper. The song makes me cry every time.

6. ZL2TUD

ZL2TUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not use the feature on the kiwiSDR's to triangulate the source Time of flight is very exact if the kiwisdr is GPS trained

that way we know exactly which megalith is responsible. Don't just blame a place near Hong Kong, Australia has one of these monsters in Darwin that pollutes our bands here in New Zealand Zl2TUD

N0TZU likes this.
  7. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Guest

Thank you for this post, learned al lot. Like your QRZ page too! Many Ham complain about the QRM caused by radar and other digital stuf on HF. Maybe it is time to step out our comfort zone and invest more in real filters and DSP. When we can guarantee communication during/after disasters why not now?

Keep posting, it shows what we can learn.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2019
  8. KQ6XA

You're right, it works quite well, especially when you have an effective geometry of stations available.
    Please feel free to post your TDoA exposé on all the government HF radar locations.
    Some who already know, would rather not post such info on a public forum.

9. W7WLL

W7WLL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For those on the OR central coast the local CODAR sites are WLD2 off Beachside State Park operating at 12.233 MHz (forgot exact freq) and YHS2, operating on 13.443 MHz off Yaquina Head. Both run about 40 W with an omnidirectional antenna and are under the auspices of Oregon State University's College of Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences. (info for K7FD up in Seal Rock). WLD2 is 3 miles N of me. Also WSH1 off Washburne State Park just N of Heceta Head LH although it had been off the air awhile back. I've not experienced any interference from WLD2 but certainly can hear it!!!

KQ6XA likes this.
  10. AA7YA

AA7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

On the Wikipedia entry, for visual representation of what CODAR is or looks like on a waterfall, the CODAR was transmitting at 14.195 MHz.

11. N1SZ

N1SZ QRZ Lifetime Member #233 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

CODARS generally don't operate in the amateur bands (especially in the US). Typically what you see in the amateur bands are OTHRs and various surface wave radars (likely military, not used for oceanographic research).

KQ6XA and WA1ZMS like this.
  12. AA7YA

AA7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

My point exactly.

13. N1SZ

N1SZ QRZ Lifetime Member #233 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So just for clarification, my point about your post was that you were using misleading terminology by calling it a CODAR. Radar or OTHR would have been more appropriate and not misleading as to the application or intent of the radar. CODAR is the name of the company that makes oceanographic research radars (CODAR - Coastal Ocean Dynamics Applications Radar). Its a terminology thing.:)

Jim, N1SZ

KQ6XA and KX0DW like this.
  14. KX0DW

KX0DW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Exactly, Jim (and Stacey),

Not every HF RADAR is a CODAR, just like not every candy bar is a Snickers. Naming matters.

WA1ZMS, KQ6XA, PD0JBV and 1 other person like this.
  15. KG0BK

KG0BK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

TNX for the clarification. I was some what confused as an electronic tech.