ad: Schulman-1

Texas HAMS Alert - SB 43 Pending in Texas Senate

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA5ETX, Jan 11, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0DMH

W0DMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Colorado, a similar bill is moving through the legislature. A key difference is that Colorado's bill has a specific amateur radio exemption. However, if said bill gets passed, I will be carrying a printed version of the law with the exemption highlighted. Most police will be reasonable and accept something like that as long as the driver isn't a complete jerk about the stop. That is not to say they all will, though.

2. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K4KWH

That IS just IT! And, No, I will not "get over it"! What the state is doing IF I read this new law correctly, they are prohibiting an activity that has NO relationship to driving for the simple reason that using a two way radio has NO measurable EFFECT on the separate activity of driving a car. Therefore, because the studies that have been done about that effect shows it to be minimal--no more than turning down the A/C. FCC has ENDORSED the operation of mobile amateur radio, and it is reflected in the court record. *I* don't have to prove that 2-way radio is NOT a hazard; it would be up to the state to prove that it IS using available data, studies, incidents. The problem IS, they CAN'T! The evidence is not there. This is what *I* would bring forth if it were ME in front of a FEDERAL judge. The two activities--driving a vehicle and operating a 2-way radio are separate activities, none of either having any impact on the other. And I am going to press on with this until they tell me it is a lost cause. Because they ARE separate activities that have nothing to do with each other, and trying to prohibit the historic use of 2-way will do NOTHING to impact "distracted driving", their "law will achieve exactly nothing--except piss off a bunch of people when the next hurricane or fire happens!

4. W8ERW

W8ERW Ham Member QRZ Page

This is indeed an interesting discussion. Texas allows for "Radio Operator" license plates. Indeed you can have you Call on every vehicle you own. The requirement clearly states that you do
    have a radio in your vehicle and that you use it.

5. K4KWH

The whole thing is based on hypocrisy and ignorance of 1) US law, 2) the difference/impact of a two way radio vs. a cell phone.
    Another example is, the state(s) want to BAN, or restrict, the use of a two way radio, but ALLOW their own use of the same device.
    IF the use of a two way radio were "dangerous" (and its not), then the SAME use of a radio by a state trooper would be JUST as dangerous, and, therefore, should be BANNED as well. "Do as ah say, boy-ah, not as ah do, y'all heah me?" I call BULL **** on their "law"!

6. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

X

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  7. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I never knew this hobby had so many constitutional scholars amongst its ranks.
    Amateur radio operators sure are a comical bunch of folks.

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K4KWH

I wouldn't think of it as "comical" when the nanny state wants to make everybody into an Energizer Bunny. And thanks to the efforts of individual hams and, sometimes, ARRL, many states have been convinced to include an exemption in their laws for amateur radio. If we sit still, cower in the corner, acquiesce to every "command" the nanny state'ers have for us, we will get exactly that; control over our every move. I just don't happen to be one of those who will willingly obey everything the state wants. I don't think that is "comical"; rather, those obedient sheep that kow tow to ALL authority (Yassir, yassir, boss) are not comical, but pathetic!

Control of our licensed radio service is one of them we have to protect from IGNORANCE and robotic obedience to laws that do nothing to curb "distracted driving".

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019