ad: Schulman-1

How Did QSL Cards Become a Thing?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Feb 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7WIA

W7WIA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for nice video

Yes I have a QSL card. It is set up to print from my printer on QSL blank stock. Design in upper right corner on my QRZ page. Inspiration from photo while a very young ham seen further down the page.

73 Oliver W7WIA

2. WB9MSM

WB9MSM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Matt -
    You did a great job with your video! Excellent presentation on QSL cards that I shared with Club members. I literally have a few thousand cards in shoe boxes and in QSL plastic holders in my shack. Next year I will celebrate fifty years in ham radio so before the internet that was the only way one could confirm their contacts with fellow hams. I have noticed that the whole physical sending and receiving QSL cards has greatly diminished since the advent of electronic QSL cards such last eQSL, Logbook of the World(LoTW), QRZ Log, etc. It is somewhat sad to see this form of artwork disappear but it is a sign of our modern times. I still send out QSL’s mainly to newly licensed hams and to those who send me a card. I have cards that have traveled from all over the world to get to my QTH. Thank you and 73 from Wisconsin, Denny WB9MSM

WB9MSM QSL Card 2014.jpg Russian QSL Card & Envelope 1992 (2).jpg Russian QSL Card 1992-2 (2).jpg
    My Current WB9MSM QSL Card Plus My Most Rare QSL Card That I Received After Working The Russian Mir Space Station in 1992 With My 2 Meter Rig

KF4ZKU likes this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K0LWC

K0LWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, no. Tell her I want MY glasses back.

WJ4U likes this.
  5. KK6DOA

KK6DOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just had this drawn for me, this would be my fur kids.

[​IMG]

KI7PMQ, KF4ZKU and (deleted member) like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Kudos. Well played.

7. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I either get a paper QSL or don't bother. I fiddled with the inkjet homemade but finally just had a stack printed and put away the scissors. I even just bought another package of the clear plastic wall hangars to display cards. My fav is the US South Pole station I worked with a vertical ant. on 20M SSB. Go to ebay and look at the vintage cards. Lot of neat style back in the 30s thru 50s. 20s were usually plain. Even bought several that were personally interesting. Beware that if you search QSL on ebay, it will also display alot of the ugly CB cards. You have to do that as sellers don't specify ham QSL card, usually.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  8. W6SAE

W6SAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nicely done! I really like receiving paper cards and am usually the first to send one out after a QSO. I don't collect them for awards so much, more just for the fun of collecting them. As a result, I usually just send one out for the first contact with a new station. 73, Steve.

Attached Files:

KI7PMQ and N7KO like this.
  9. N5VAF

N5VAF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow, thanks for posting those QSL cards. Those are really cool!
    KG5WLK
    Phil

10. F4GVO

F4GVO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for this very interesting video about paper QSL card. I love QSL cards even if nowadays there is no reason to not use also the electronic way (I personally use LOTW).
    I am 'new' as an hamradio (got my license in 2012) even if I am in the radio hobby since the '90th. So for I have printed 3 different QSL card. The first one is from a photo I took and represent a standing stone (menhir) which is located a few kilometers from my QTH, a rare one from the region I live. I sent about 1000 of this card all over the world. The second is also a picture of mine, but I wanted something more personal. It is a picture of our cherry tree with a "spiritual sentence". I think I already sent about 500 of them. Last years I thought about a more personal QSL cart and ask a friend of mine who is professional drawer to draw a picture of me doing radio with some personal element to represent me better. I have just made printed 1000 QSL a few week ago. I really love this card ! It is very me ! A the time I wrote, only 2 people have it: my artist friend and a french SWL who sent me several reports during past years and sent me a new one but have already both old ones.
    At last, I has been honored in 2018 from an family of an old hamradio who is sk since several year to get all his radio stuff. In all the boxes there are 3 of them full of his QSL card, some one them old one (from the ~60th to the ~80th), a lot are "deleted European dxcc" like ex USSR countries, West Germany. I am starting to tidy them, really like the "simple" design and already thinking about a new QSL card for my self !

Well, that's it, my two cents about QSL cards !

73 de Thierry, F4GVO (any english mistakes you'll may find in the above text are my exclusive property ;-) !!! )

N7KO likes this.
  11. K1SPD

K1SPD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Enjoyed the video.
    I just have the cheap, plain, basic info card.

12. N4MI

N4MI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great and interesting video! I too still love receiving QSL cards, and especially DX cards. For my own card, I wanted something personal so I had it designed by K1NSS. I have two designs from him ... one for CW and one for digital.

[​IMG]

AC2VX, KI7PMQ, WT5NA and 2 others like this.
  13. WA8IHW

WA8IHW Ham Member QRZ Page

mine is custom I designed and if features Evel Knievel evel qsl.jpg

AC2VX, LU9FMS, KF4ZKU and 2 others like this.
  14. WT5NA

WT5NA Ham Member QRZ Page

N1ADM, WA8IHW, awesome cards! I would love to have yours, hope to work you sometime.
    I enjoy sending and receiving QSL cards very much. Even if I got plain, basic one in my mail box it is an excitement.

15. WA3QLW

WA3QLW Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting in that QRZ shows him as a Technician and I see 14.252 on the 706 so how does he justify being on 20M ??? If QRZ is wrong then lets update.