ad: k1jek

Thanks WPX RTTY contest for QRMing the bands!

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KP3FT, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KP3FT

KP3FT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet Another RTTY Contest. Never gets old. It's really great to have two days of massive QRM for no good reason.

2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, you're right! Two days of folks getting on the air, working each other and having fun? You're absolutely right: Two days is not long enough!

AF4RK, K4OBL, KA0HCP and 3 others like this.
  3. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Many folks enjoy RTTY as much as you enjoy whatever it is you do... Relax...

K4OBL and WA7PRC like this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, they have every right to use the bands,. BUT...

I listen a LOT more than I transmit, and my impression is that rtty ops do not listen to a freq before they transmit. Time and again I hear a cw qso in progress destroyed, sqauashed, ended by a rtty op dropping on the freq.

I suspect that part of the reason is the seeming anonymity of rtty operation. Unless the other op has rtty decoder set up and running they have no idea who the inconsiderate op is. (not that it might make a difference even if they did know, just my speculation)

They seem to me to operate with impunity, not caring who they qrm.

Say I'm wrong, but I know what I've heard.

I'm not anti-rtty, or anti-contest at all, but I am anti-"entitled" ops that think they can just pick a freq and start "owning" a frequency where there are qsos already in progress.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    ND6M likes this.
  5. KP3FT

The issue is QRM, not RTTY itself. Etiquette goes right out the window just about every weekend. I haven't "relaxed" over this issue for 25 years... unlikely I will now.

WR2E and ND6M like this.
  6. WG7X

Could be worse: like my current problem. Due to the snow and wind, my antenna is literally down and out until the weather allows figuring out how to untangle the wire from the tree.

Puerto Rico probably has problems with weather too? Kind of like that big wind that decimated the island in the recent past?

So did you get on QRZ and complain about the hurricane?

Of course not, for various reasons, the least of which was that ham radio is a hobby, which is something that we do if everything else is OK.

So sit back, take a deep breath and realize that in a very short time, it will be quiet again on the bands. Very quiet. Until the next contest or other operating activity, most of which are fully advertised well before the actual event.

7. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's quite a stretch comparing Mother Nature to inconsiderate ops!

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Nothing like a good old "contest hate thread" to start off a cold winter Sunday.... :)

Damn all those hams actually USING THE BANDS instead of just tuning around complaining that nobody ever gets on the air because the sun has no spots :rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

W5BIB, KA0HCP, KS2G and 4 others like this.
  9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a huge difference between ( 1 ) inadvertent QRM, ( 2 ) inconsiderate QRM, and ( 3 ) deliberate QRM.

In a big contest like this one there is bound to be some inadvertent QRM, maybe even some inconsiderate QRM ( blame the op not the mode or contest ) ( and mostly not even the op, he-she may ( most likely ) not hear what you hear ).

From what I can see ( 320 casual RTTY QSOs so far this weekend ) the RTTY players have almost completely avoided the CW and digital areas. They have mostly expanded up-band which doesn't really interfere with anyone.

10. WG7X

Well, maybe... But this is “daZed” where hyperbole is not just fun, it’s a way of life!

KA0HCP and WR2E like this.
  11. KP3FT

Gee, maybe it's a common thread because it's a common problem. I didn't start the thread because I just felt like bashing HF RTTY contesting out of boredom. I've been attempting to track a friend's HAB balloon on 20m WSPR, but for two days RTTY has been parked right on top of WSPR. That's just one example of one weekend. Other weekends make the HF packet region unusable. Some of us can only get on the radio on weekends. There's been times when I seriously considered just selling my stuff, for the single reason of getting QRMed weekend after weekend. But hey, leave 'em alone because they're USING THE BANDS and it's FUN! I can have fun too... maybe start a wide-mode Olivia contest and walk all over agreed-upon subbands, because it's FUN and I'm just USING THE BANDS!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    WR2E and ND6M like this.
  12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

You can either yell at rain clouds or work for change. Have you written a letter to ARRL asking for RTTY contest rules to be changed? Have you contacted the FCC to start petitioning for formal band allotments?

Just because YOU didn't get to do what YOU wanted to do does not in any way, shape, manner or form make a RTTY contest illegal or something that should be banned.

While I feel for you and your friend's balloon project - why did he not choose a WARC frequency? RTTY contesting is barred from WARC bands. And if he had no other band he could use (you didn't mention what band, but surely it was 80/40/20/15/10 since those are the contest bands), why didn't he give more consideration to the Contest Calendar links and release on a weekend when there is either no major contest or it's a SSB contest?

I'm sorry but lack of proper planning on his part does not mean the thousands of folks having fun doing a RTTY contest are in the wrong in any way.

Dave
    W7UUU

K3RW, W5BIB, KA0HCP and 6 others like this.
  13. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

This past weekend I observed that the RTTY operators were respecting the SKCC frequencies, (at least on 20...I didn't check the other bands) where I didn't see that in the past.

Re RTTY, I hope to be on this mode soon. I'm still fighting issues between my laptop and my rice box re MMTTY. One of the ops I tried contacting during the XE RTTY contest was kind enough to tell me what the problem with the signal was.

Re SKCC, I enjoy the sprints. It was an SKCC op who QSLed my QSO with VY1.

14. KP3FT

The ARRL encourages contesting, and I'm sure they're quite aware of the QRM problem.

This isn't just about me on one particular frequency and mode. Its about the general fact that the bands are QRM'ed intentionally by lids.

ND6M likes this.
  15. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the latest (Insert Here)OTA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.