ad: elecraft

Australian changes to amateur radio qualifications

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Feb 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Changes to amateur radio qualifications

Following an open tender process on AusTender (Approach to Market reference 18ACMA148), the ACMA has selected the University of Tasmania—through its institute the Australian Maritime College (AMC)—to deliver amateur radio examinations, issue amateur certificates of proficiency and for related callsign management.

The ACMA thanks all organisations that expressed an interest in providing services, and also wishes to thank the Wireless Institute of Australia (WIA) for its provision of services over the term of the current Deed, which came to an end on 1 February 2019. After that time, an examination conducted by the WIA will not be an approved examination for the purposes of amateur qualifications and the WIA will not have the power to issue further certificates of proficiency under theRadiocommunications Act 1992.

The ACMA is working with the AMC to finalise a Deed for the delivery of services and will also need to make enabling instruments to support the AMC’s activities. Once the Deed is signed, the ACMA expects the AMC to progressively commence delivery of services from 25 February 2019.

While these arrangements are being made, the ACMA will consider any applications for certificates of proficiency. A certificate may be issued if the applicant has successfully sat an approved examination under the previous WIA arrangements. The ACMA will also consider any applications for licences related to those certificates of proficiency and will assign callsigns to those licences on issue. Enquiries should be sent to licensing@acma.gov.au.

Last updated: 01 February 2019

Source: https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/changes-to-amateur-radio-qualifications

2. VK2PZ

VK2PZ Ham Member QRZ Page

3. VK2PZ

VK2PZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A Tender process occurred and the best tender won thats how the Australian government works clearly this speaks for its self The WIA was not the best Tender . I feel the WIA has lost touch of the vast number of hams they don't listen to there concerns and I feel their relevance representing the average ham is slipping look at your news item today on the WIA broad cast on 10th February 2019 what relevance did your talk about politics, sexual genders etc have to do with this hobby and then you commenced to tell hams what the regulations are. (You need to listen to what you said ? ) I was offered to think a foundation call of a few years of operation has the fortitude to preach the regulations at Hams that have been on air for over thirty years in fact you breached the regulations by talking about it on the broad cast . If you want to talk about these subjects buy a phone and ring someone that will listen to you . How is it lately Globally we have so many people telling us what to do and think . If you want to do the hobby a favour stick to technical aspect which is what its about and stay away from dictating to the rest of us as its not appreciated it is a news broad cast not a Class room however I have heard foundation calls on non approved bands clearly operating high power without any kind of proper radio procedure ring them up and preach to them I don't want to hear it I just want to enjoy my hobby in piece . In fact I much enjoy the boys and girls of Ham Nation and Amateur logic George and Tommy do a great Job and I always look forward to Ray Novak from Icom on the net. Dial in they are real Hams promoting the hobby.

4. VK2OZ

VK2OZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well i have to agree with the posting of VK2pz what in the name of ham radio does commentary on transgender issues have anything to do with amateur radio,if anyone can tell me please enlighten me.I was amazed to hear this banter from Onno VK6FLAB the self elected preacher of does and donts regarding our once great hobby it comes as no surprise to me that this utter rubbish was broadcast on the WIA broadcast Sunday 10th February no surprise here this mob have well and truly lost contact with the majority of hams.