ad: Radclub22-1

Help required in final MarconISSta tests

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Help required in final MarconISSta tests

The International Space Station MarconISSta experiment will cease on February 9. Martin Buscher DJ1MBB asks radio amateurs with suitable equipment to participate in final tests

The MarconISSta is a spectrum analyzer payload that monitors parts of the frequency spectrum in VHF, UHF, L and S band from the ISS in order to analyze current use and availability of bands for satellite communication.

Martin Buscher DJ1MBB writes:

We were just informed that it is likely that MarconISSta will be deinstalled on February 9, 2019. This is about three weeks earlier than expected, so we quickly have to finish any outstanding activities. Therefore: All Power To The ISS!

We want to invite everybody who owns a UHF antenna, preferably with an e.i.r.p. of more than 30 dBW, to do transmissions to the ISS. These transmissions will be recorded by MarconISSta and we will publish the results here. This experiment is a nice way for you to test your antennas, while it is great for us and ARISS to evaluate the ARISS VHF/UHF antenna pattern.

Transmission Details:
    • Transmission time: Whenever you see the ISS between now and February 9th.
    • Frequency: 435-438 MHz. Please avoid 435.95 MHz (our reference frequency) and 436.5 MHz (center frequency of receiver)
    • Power: Continuous transmission of carrier, we recommend an e.i.r.p. of more than 30 dBW

Please do not use Doppler correction. We want to see the Doppler shift, it might help us to localize your transmission from this.

Further information
    https://marconissta.com/2019/02/05/urgent-call-all-power-to-the-iss/

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/february/help-required-in-final-marconissta-tests.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Am I misreading this? They need a 30 dBW, that is 1000 watt signal to detect the transmissions? Folks work two way with HTs I believe? Any clarification?

3. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

1000 W EIRP.

A 9 dB gain antenna would need a little over 100 W into it ...

And their their receive gear is "a spectrum analyzer payload" ... I assume they need a BIG SNR signal to be caught by their spec an ...