ad: elecraft

Fan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VK6FLAB

VK6FLAB Ham Member QRZ Page

foundations-of-amateur-radio_300.jpg
    Foundations of Amateur Radio

Fan Vertical Antenna

One of the single most recurring topics within our community is that of antennas. Everywhere you look is a story or a photo or a website or a contact about an antenna that came into being because somebody had an idea.

Now if you've been in the ideas field for a while you'll have learnt that having the idea is often just the start of the process. After that there's planning, sourcing, building and testing. If you're lucky you'll end up with something and a story to tell. If you manage to persist you might even end up with a working antenna.

The other day I managed to have an idea that I'd not seen anywhere else. As it turns out and perhaps not unsurprisingly, I'm not the first to have this idea. Despite that, what struck me is that I'd not seen or heard of this combination of antennas before.

As you might recall, one of my earlier forays into antennas consisted of purchasing a set of mono-band antennas. I intended to use these on my car while operating mobile, but despite countless unsuccessful attempts at making them work, the project ended up being abandoned and written up as a learning experience.

That said, each of these antennas works just fine on a roof, just not on the roof of my car.

Recently I'd been reading about how much separation is needed between antennas that are resonant on different HF bands and my research unearthed the idea that while they might affect each other to some degree the overall effect appears to be not that large. Combing that with an antenna called a fan dipole, I wondered if I could do the same with some vertical antennas. As it turns out, yes you can. It's sometimes referred to as a fan vertical.

Before I get too carried away. A fan dipole is an antenna that consists of a set of dipoles that are all fed from the same feed point. Imagine three or four dipoles, each for a different band, with each centre connected to the same balun. Each of the legs are spaced apart so they're not touching. After a bit of tuning you'll end up with a combination antenna that works on each band. The beauty of this is that it takes up the same amount of space as the largest dipole and you'll only need one feed line, rather than several. You'll also only need two sky hooks, so you won't have to plant a forest before setting up your antenna farm.

For all those reasons I wondered if I could make a single feed point for all my vertical antennas and get the same benefits. At one point I got so excited that I started modelling this in cocoaNEC, an antenna modelling tool based on NEC2, but my learning curve exceeded my skill set, so I had to postpone that in order to actually do some income generation instead.

Discussion with fellow amateurs encouraged my tomfoolery, unearthed prior work and assured me that it would work and since then I've started down the procurement phase and have now got some SO239 connectors, a piece of metal and ideas to space holes evenly with a central socket to connect my coax to. I plan to solder all the connector centres together with some thick copper wire and use the metal plate to connect all the shields together.

The only fly in the ointment at this point is my unhealthy relationship with drills. You might remember that I managed to drill a hole in my hand a while back - all healed, I was incredibly lucky, a delightful scar to remind me - so if at all possible I'd like to avoid such a thing. Last time all I wanted was to make a single hole bigger, this time I've got four 16mm holes to drill.

You'll be pleased to learn, just as my partner was, that I'm now able to use a drill press and I even splurged and added a vice, so if I'm not too clumsy, I should be able to avoid stitches this time around.

What I'm hoping to achieve is a little group of vertical antennas, connected to the same coax, mounted on the metal roof of the house, all but invisible to our neighbours without needing to swap antennas in and out like I currently do and actually use those lovely mono-band antennas I purchased so long ago. I may have to experiment with radials and tuning and no doubt there's still a gap between theory and reality, but I'll let you know how I go.

My question to you is, what antenna project are you working on?

I'm Onno VK6FLAB

To listen to the podcast, visit the website: http://podcasts.vk6flab.com/. You can also use your podcast tool of choice and search for my callsign, VK6FLAB. Full instructions on how to listen are here: https://podcasts.vk6flab.com/about/help

All podcast transcripts are collated and edited in an annual volume which you can find by searching for my callsign on your local Amazon store, or visit my author page: http://amazon.com/author/owh. Volume 7 is out now.

Feel free to get in touch directly via email: cq@vk6flab.com, follow on twitter: @VK6FLAB (http://twitter.com/vk6flab/) or check the website for more: http://vk6flab.com/

If you'd like to join a weekly net for new and returning amateurs, check out the details at http://ftroop.vk6flab.com/, the net runs every week on Saturday, from 00:00 to 01:00 UTC on Echolink, IRLP, AllStar Link and 2m FM via various repeaters.

Attached Files:

SP6ABO, AC7DD, JN1LGH and 2 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its 2019.

But... a fan dipole (vertical). Is. News.

KS0E, WQ4G, K6NG and 1 other person like this.
  3. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Could 40 &75 meter band be added to this design ?

4. N5XGG

N5XGG Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this what you are trying to create: ? Fan Vertical.jpg

KB4W, KC9WUV, WQ1I and 12 others like this.
  5. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just install a Hustler and be done with it.

KQ9J, K1DNC, AD6FR and 3 others like this.
  6. WN4HOG

WN4HOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hang it high and let the radials drop down about 45 degrees. Easier to tune.

AD6FR, KK6QMS, WW5RM and 3 others like this.
  7. K3VVV

K3VVV Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look in the ARRL Antenna Book, you will find info on the Fan Dipole. Also is mentioned a antenna that uses wires not connecte at the feed point. The paralell wires just coubel to the feed element by their proximity. Mentioned is also a similar vertical. I am using a fan dipole now for 160, 80, 40, and 20 meters. it is build with PCV pipe like in your diagram except they all come together at one feed point. Keeps me on the air and works on all bands. I do have a LDG remote antenna tuner at the feed point. It lets me cover the entire bands.

N4GST and NU4R like this.
  8. AB4VV

AB4VV Ham Member QRZ Page

What is pictured by VK6FLAB is a horizontal fan dipole. First off he should have put the formula in right. It should be for a 1/2 wave 468 divided by the Freq. in Mhz . What he has in the article/pic is 1/4 wave formula. It is correct but confusing. But the main thing is that at 50 ft the lowest freq. is at least 1/2 wave above ground and would give you a low angle take off, just like a vertical. So the bottom line is that the horizontal fan dipole would work just as good as a vertical for low angle dx take off.

KO6KL, AK5B, K6UMA and 2 others like this.
  9. K6FVC

K6FVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks interesting and pretty simple to make. Would like to know if this has worked for anyone.

10. KI4YTV

KI4YTV Ham Member QRZ Page

I RUN A VEEish FAN DP 20/40/75 , HERE'S SOME VERTICAL AND

KC9WUV, F4BYF, R2AAV and 13 others like this.
  11. K0MAN

K0MAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Onno, Thanks for the artical and taking time in putting on QRZ'd. Building antennas is one of my Ham Radio Passions. Keep expeerimenting!!!. Jim KØMAN

K3SX and KD2DIG like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I imagine...

if you DON'T READ ANY of the ham radio magazines...(and their ads)....

if you DON'T GO to any ham radio flea market or 'convention' (and see what's for sale)...

if you DON'T look up 'ham antennas' on the internet...AND Youtube...

if you DON'T READ any of the ham radio retailer catalogues...

if you DON'T LOOK at any of the various ARRL/RSGB books with antenna info....

THEN the concept of a FAN DIPOLE would seem like a 'new idea' to you.

Is it possible to be THAT ISOLATED from the mainstream of ham radio ?

Please explain Onno...

The ARRL has a nice summary for new hams, where the fan dipole shows up under links for:

'Your First Antenna'==

http://www.arrl.org/your-first-antenna

Here's a cool video on fan dipoles...for beginners

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    AK5B, KQ6XA and (deleted member) like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's another great video that shows up on 'ham antennas' in Youtube --has almost 300,000 views...

14. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is a STEAL Whip the same as a STEEL Whip? Mom always said,Don't Steal.

Clayton
    W4KVW

NE6V, W0LP, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Or she'd WHIP you:)?

W0LP, AK5B, W4KVW and 1 other person like this.