ad: QSLWorks-1

AnyTone AT-D878UV In-Depth Review – DMR HT with APRS!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jan 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K5JM

K5JM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great review! Anyone know if the GPS receiver can be powered down from the front panel if you’re not going to be using aprs features ..but then later go on a trip and want to fire it up ? Or does it require going into the programming softwares to achieve that ? My Yaesu Ft1dx allows you to do it from the user menu easily ..didn’t see it in the video.

Sam
    K5JM

2. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes you can shut off the gps from the settings menu.

Don.

K5JM likes this.
  3. N6NLX

The only thing I have found that I don’t care for is that it occasionally locks up then reboots. Also, the receive, in the ham band is a little less sensitive in my case. The APRS is not consistent on either analog or DMR. I can see gaps of 20 or more miles with no reports on DMR APRS. That could be to the repeaters and or hotspots not forwarding APRS data. They have to be set up to pass the data. Analog APRS is spotty simply because there isn’t that many stations anymore. Even when I set up my Igate there isn’t much traffic. I have found that while sitting on the top of a hill talking to my brother simplex in a mobile, my mobile could hear him fine but the 878 could only hear him part of the time. That was while using analog. He was about a mile or two away LOS with no obstructions in the desert.
    I like the radio. I’ll probably sell the 868 since I don’t need it anymore.
    The CPS for the Alinco looks almost exactly the same as for the Anytone. I tried to open an Anytone CP on the Alinco CPS but it won’t recognize the file. The Alinco is a little smaller than the Anytone. I’m told it’s not the same board as the Anytone. But who can say?

Don.

4. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jake, I used 1.07 for the review, but upgraded today to 1.09.

5. VA2PV

Jake, here's my latest APRS config, work very well. 73 Pascal VA2PV

[​IMG]

6. K5JM

Another curiosity ...so if there is a lot of APRS traffic (I live in an urban area where hearing multiple packets in one minute is common )..that would affectively mean the other VFO would be incapable of receiving audio during the active high volume of packet traffic ?

7. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

hi, i read some collegue that have problem to fix the GPS signals , over 5 minutes etc.... possible this ?

PROBLEM with the Roaming funcion... in all the world there are two DMR network the BM and the Plus ...

the anytone scan only the frequencies, and with this problem of 2 network there is the problem that

if i to do a qso on a TG in a network with the roaming is possbile that change in other repeater in other network TG... its NOT good this ! there is a solution for this ?

8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think that can happen if you program the radio correctly.
    I looked at the programming software and I think you have to make roaming groups. I think you have to put all the repeaters from the same system in one roaming group and other repeaters in other roaming groups. I could be wrong.

IW2BSF likes this.
  9. N6NLX

The Anytone radios don’t respond to polling. So, they won’t answer anybody. They only send out packets. It doesn’t receive and fwd. If you are using it in digital mode it appears to wait for quiet time before it sends out the packet. I have mine set for two minutes. It doesn’t appear to be a brute force method. That being said, I’m not sure how it does ranging.
    You can also set it up to send the data packets on digital or analog. I set mine up to send out data on 144.390 on anything not DMR. For DMR I set it up accordingly for the system I’m using. You can set it up to send packets on 144.390 while using DMR if you want to. If using a hotspot you need to make sure to enable passing APRS data. I don’t know how many hotspots do this. I’m running a ZumSpot with a Bluetooth board and there is a selection for this in the BluDV app. I believe there is a setting for this in Pi-Star as well. I have fire and law enforcement freqs in mine that are set as receive only. It still sends data even when I’m listening only. It’s pretty flexible.
    So, depending upon how you set it up, it may not effect your second
    VFO.

Don.

K5JM likes this.
  10. VA2PV

If that's the case it's always possible to configure a tone in reception to avoid muting the other VFO. 73 Pascal VA2PV

11. K5JM

Hi Pascal ..that’s an interesting option. Thanks for the idea.

More specifically there is a local digipeater located on a very tall tower that has wide area coverage and relays packets (including weather stations )..so there is often a lot of activity being relayed on 144.390.

To quickly recap (if I understand correctly )..You’re saying that in fact during that reception of packet info the other (non aprs) VFO would be incapable of also simultaneously listening to its assigned frequency because the VFO tuned to the Aprs frequency would capture the receiver first.

But to combat that problem, a recieve tone could be set on the APRS assigned VFO..which would allow you to send packets..but would consequently ignore incoming packets.

Thanks for helping me understand the issue!

I have a Yaesu ft1xdr which has true dual recieve VFOs and is aprs capable..so it’s nice to compare the pros and cons objectively.

Sam
    K5JM

12. K5JM

Hi Don, thanks for the helpful info. I’ve posted another reply above.

13. IW2BSF

hi .... NONE have problem to FIX the GPS (aprs) signal ???

some collegue report that in the old 868 the fix is too fast, but in the new 878 is very long , some

report to me over 10-15 minutes to fix a satellite outdoor .... NOT GOOD this !

why this too long time to fix ? 73

14. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

I last heard the CPS was riddled with issues

nice looking radio, but Im not dealing with half fast radio issues that a manufacturer couldnt address before releasing the product

K5KNV likes this.
  15. IW2BSF

NONE ??? in how seconds or minutes your 878 fix the GPS sats ???