ad: Radclub22-1

AnyTone AT-D878UV In-Depth Review – DMR HT with APRS!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jan 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The AnyTone AT-D878UV is a dual band analog FM and DMR (tier I and II) portable radio, it supports APRS, DMR Roaming and DPRS. This radio is designed for amateur radio. Plus, it has a lot of cool features, it’s easy to program and used via it’s keypad.

This radio looks similar to the AnyTone AT-D868UV, but with more features and processing power.

Hope you like the review.

73 Pascal VA2PV

AT-D878UV_THUMB.jpg

K1HXJ, KH6OWL and KC6SCD like this.
  2. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm.... programming software looks just like what you get with new Alinco DJ-MD5TGP and the display shows many similarities. I can’t help but think that these two radios are coming out of the same factory. Alinco has GPS but no APRS. Pricepoint is similar. Both have a couple of features that the other does not have.

3. VA2PV

Hi Curtis, everyone is wondering about that as well, until somebody got both side by side and proof code plug compatibility it's hard to tell. 73 and thanks for watching, Pascal VA2PV.

4. K0ON

K0ON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Pascal,

Great review of an excellent radio, I have one myself and have been enjoying it. Would you care to go through, or create a short video of how to set up the aprs on this radio? I've been getting caught up somewhere and have not been able to make it work on either digital or analog.

Jake

VA2PV likes this.
  5. VA2PV

Hi Jake, Thank you. You can pause my video when I show the APRS page, enter the same value but with your callsign and it should work, at least for analog APRS. There is a video you can dowload on the manufacturer website in the support page, that's where I found the information. There still a few things that I'm not sure, I used the same destination callsign identical as in the support video, but I think there must be a closer digipeater I could use, a work in progress, at least I was able to make it work for the review. I also still wonder if it can received APRS informations and show it on the display, the option "RX APRS" is only available when in digital mode, but it should be DPRS? I just notice there was a new firmware available, I will try it out. When everything is sorted out I could do a setup video, let me know if it work for you. 73 Pascal VA2PV

6. K0ON

K0ON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you sir, I'll give it a shot. Which firmware version do you have? I am showing a version of 1.09 on mine.

Jake

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    VA2PV likes this.
  7. VA2SS

VA2SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great work Pascal! Alinco and many other HT have their firmware from the same core… I do have an Alinco DJ-MD5GP and it will have APRS soon too. IMHO, Anytone seems to be well seated now in the DMR market…. a nice choice!

73 de Jeff | VA2SS

VA2PV likes this.
  8. KC2FQ

KC2FQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice job with the review.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  9. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I'm sure I am completely wrong and the outrage culture will put me in my ignorant place. The first thing I look at on these radios is the transmit frequency range. This one is 136-174 / 400-480 MHz RX/TX. To me that means the FCC doesn't like this radio since it can transmit out of amateur radio frequencies. Again, I am probably wrong in my thinking. But compare these radios to Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood this transmit range is wildly different. Okay outrage in 3...2...1.

AD4ZU likes this.
  10. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't it amazing how far you can talk on the INTERNET !!!!! sorry not real RADIO !

2E0EUG, M0DPX, K4AGO and 3 others like this.
  11. KC2G

KC2G Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, people should not be allowed to talk on the internet.

At least, in your case.

KD9VMP, KJ4KPW, W4JHU and 10 others like this.
  12. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: " The first thing I look at on these radios is the transmit frequency range. This one is 136-174 / 400-480 MHz RX/TX. To me that means the FCC doesn't like this radio since it can transmit out of amateur radio frequencies."

So can my Motorola MTS-2000 and several other HTs like it ... The real issue the FCC gets wound up about is, is it FRONT PANEL PROGRAMMABLE by the end user to operate outside the ham bands?

Well, is it?

13. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no issue with it as long as it is Humans talking & not two computers & nobody Human can understand what is being said.

Clayton
    W4KVW

KG8IU and KC2SNJ like this.
  14. K2BEW

K2BEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great review Pascal, Dave Casler just did a review on this radio on his YouTube channel as well, between the two of you I have decided to get one. 73, Tom

15. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

It's being marketed as a Part 90 radio, FCC ID T4KD878UV. Can't look it up on the FCC database due to the shutdown, but it's not being marketed as an amateur radio. Doesn't mean it can't be used as an amateur radio.