ad: TinyPaddle-1

Yaesu FT-70DR Full Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Dec 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jason, me too I wanted to download the list but I wasn't able to do it. The only way I could find was with the 5 recall memory when connected in Wires-X. 73 Pascal VA2PV

2. W3BAY

W3BAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Press Function then the AMS button. Then you can use the knob on top to see what room is connected and to change the room (if you have some favorites stored).

3. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a nice little radio, I’ve had mine for about 6 months. It is easy to program without the software and battery life is bordering unacceptable but it’s usable. You’ll probably make it about 6 hours or so on one battery. Not the typical battery life that most of us are used to with other HT’s

If you’re thinking of buying one of these be sure to buy a second battery or your going to be disappointed. Sound quality on receive is very good with nice full sounding audio.

G3SEA likes this.
  4. N5INP

N5INP Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree. I bought the radio knowing that the volume control had to have a button pressed on the side before it would work, but now I hate that "feature" it with a passion. I would have at least thought that the menu would give an option for allowing the user to change the knob functionality, but no. Very bad software design on that issue.

Also, the battery life is terrible - no, resetting it isn't the problem. The problem is the radio uses too much power even when not transmitting, probably due to the many times the LEDs light up and a poor choice of minimal battery amp-hours. I would never take it anywhere and expect it to last very long, without several extra batteries. It now sits on the kitchen table so I can listen to the local C4FM digital repeater, and within close reach of the recharger.

Do not recommend! :mad:

KD9VV likes this.
  5. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct!
    After I purchased the radio I read many similar complaints.
    Reset etc does not cure it and it is not a defective unit. Everyone I talk to who owns the FT 70dr is experiencing the same issue.
    I've had the rig a little over a yr which probably precludes Yaesu or the vendor I purchesed from accepting a return.

6. KC2OXJ

KC2OXJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have this radio and other than the very poor battery life, I do love its features, size, robustness, ease of front panel programming and of computer programming, and audio quality out of the front speaker.

However, I have to concur that the battery life is not great.

I've trimmed down some of the lighting and beeping options in an attempt to decrease battery consumption but doubt it will help much. The battery indicator comes up within a work day, with occasional scanning or monitoring on and off during my commute, and very light TX use.

My next purchase will be the extra battery and charging cradle, maybe even a charging lead to juice up the radio while in my car.

73s
    KC2OXJ

7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Guess this falls under the "pricier cheap Chinese junk"?

8. G4IRX

G4IRX Ham Member QRZ Page

Reasonably happy with the RF and audio performance of mine as it's my first venture into Yaesu's C4FM digital mode. It's used mainly with various MMDVM hotspots.

Unfortunately the ADMS software lets it down, or rather the performance of having to remove a battery and some other tricks to get it into read/write modes. Also, beware if you buy a US model and take it somewhere with 240v mains power - although the charger is spec'd up to 240v mine failed on the first attempt to use it. Fortunately a UK replacement was easy to find for a modest cost of £10.

9. KC2OXJ

I found this annoying too, particularly the battery-removal process I have a problem with. My Yaesu FT7800R has a similar procedure with powerdown/button press to enter programming mode, so this part I'm used to.

So - it seems unnecessary to have to remove the battery to engage programming - unless powering off the radio doesn't fully remove all voltage from the board which might explain battery drain when the radio is off. Wish I had a spare radio to test my theory, but I'm not opening this one until the warranty expires, lol.

G4IRX - have you noticed any programming issues by which the frequency you enter, say 440.790, gets changed to 444.7925 or similar? I'm trying to figure out if this is an issue with ADMS or with CHIRP, as I use both.

K8XG likes this.
  10. K3STG

K3STG Ham Member QRZ Page

I talked to a friend today who just got this radio for his birthday, he loves it but his chief complaint was battery life

11. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Talk and proclaim all you want about your $25.00 throw aways! You STILL can't program one on-the-fly like you can...SO EASILY... this one!

And, 6itch, moan, whine and cry is so typical when the solution has been at our fingertips...since the HT was invented!

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD...BUY A SPARE BATTERY! I can go ALL DAY on 2 batteries!And,have you every heard of power management boys and girls? No? Come on! Sure you have!

Ya' know what? You're right! It's the American way to 6itch, moan, whine and cry instead of doing the obvious! Carry on whiners. You never fail to prove the 21st century methodology in America!

KB1FUA likes this.
  12. KC2OXJ

To be fair we need to also consider that those complaining about battery life could be comparing it to previous equipment they've used and not just whining for the sake of whining. I compared to previous HT radios I've used in the past and for the use I am putting it to, it shouldn't even be getting to 50% within 3-4 hours. This radio could have definitely used a juicier battery.

Not that there is anything wrong with the radio per say. Comes down to battery capacity, which we are not given the option to purchase. I wish they had a 3600 mAh or better battery for this little gem. On long treks, I'd rather only carry one spare battery and as I said in my previous post, without worrying about charging while in the vehicle.

73s

13. KP4X

KP4X QRZ Lifetime Member #390 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Oh wow now I am so confuse after reading your posts. I want to order 2 of them, one for me and one for my YL, but after reading the reviews I can't tell.... Don't get me wrong the information here is helpful, just I don't know whether the battery issue is actually a global issue or just a single-isolated case...

4I1AOC likes this.
  14. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's global...check the reviews; it IS systemic.

PS: Contact me, I'll sell you mine for 100 bucks!

15. KX3DX

KX3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Battery indicator on the display is poorly calibrated. If you measure the battery voltage with a DVM, you'll see there is plenty of capacity left in the battery when the indicator shows it needs recharging. I ignore the battery indicator now and take it down to almost shut-off and then swap batteries. Still maybe not the greatest battery life but quite acceptable.

I have many HT's; this one, along with my VX3, goes everywhere with me. It is so easy to program and use from the front panel. The volume control is manageable.

Works well with Pi-star in YSF and YSFtoDMR mode.

New price is now $139.

The Baofengs and others are amusing and fun but really don't compare with the main stream offerings. They are great for playing around for a few days and then gifting away.

Dave

KB1FUA likes this.