ad: elecraft

AMSAT's Fox-1Cliff Satellite Launched, Initial Telemetry Received

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8HM, Dec 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the biggest problems with AMSAT is that they never get back to you. My account was hacked, at least 20 email and 10 phone (all ending up on a voice mail recorder) were never returned. It's hard to believe that an organization is run like that. Maybe this post will catch their attention

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep in mind, there is one (thats "1") paid employee of AMSAT. That's it. Everybody else is a volunteer. Just sayin....

WE4B likes this.
  3. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well, so far, while the foxtelem software seems to be "working", and seems to have recognized the RTL-SDR, I haven't found a setting that results in any telemetry.
    just enabled logging this morning and hopefully will dig into it tonight, hopefully (tis the season for non stop decorations up to, and including, Christmas Eve...)

4. G0MRF

G0MRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice !

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Per the advice and info given in post #12 of this thread, yesterday I called AMSAT and left a voice-mail. Martha returned the call today. It was said she will be there all day today. I recommend you give her a call ASAP @ Phone: +1 (301) 822-4376.

Regarding my previous inquiries on this thread, Martha was able to clarify some issues on the subject of AMSAT-NA program fund and launch financing. Better then other AMSAT people attempted to do in previous posts here. I may share that info later.

However, she was not able or hesitant to provide sufficient detail. Instead she referred me to yet another AMSAT person. That may be my next phone call. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The fact highlighted above is painfully becoming more obvious as what I perceive could be a major problem for the future of the Amateur-satellite radiocommunications service in the USA.

IMO, the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation staff, being largely voluntary, has structure and resources that are just TOO SMALL and inconsistent to achieve its strategic vision, perhaps even accomplish its stated missions, in a reasonable time frame. It may be adequate for present technical purposes (the fun stuff) but seems particularly lacking in marketing, fundraising, and associated management.

The status quo at AMSAT-NA has worked OK for nearly 50 years, and deserves to be congratulated for their accomplishments. However just as NASA has seriously reinvented its organization to cope with the paradigm shift and pace of the emerging commercialized space industry, perhaps AMSAT-NA ought to consider doing so too. Why remain so autonomous and fight the emerging more powerful competition?

A potential solution to lacking 'critical mass' as a business is to find synergistic partner, probably larger, to become more closely aligned with or merge as a division. They should be able to provide better support for the non-technical marketing, fundraising and overhead functions. There are several possible other nonprofit corporations and institutions with related missions that could be envisioned.

Just my thoughts. 73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  7. KD2MDP

KD2MDP Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread was supposed to highlight the recent accomplishments of AMSAT and the the Fox1-Cliff, but John, you've made all about you. If you don't want to support AMSAT, don't! It's not always about you! I don't know you, but let AMSAT have there moment of accomplishment and stop the bashing, and start your own discussion thread

WU8Y, WE4B, W4HM and 1 other person like this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

No bashing AMSAT at all. Right off the bat I congratulated them for this accomplishment and have praised it in more then one post, even including a video link to the launch.

Simple fair questions were asked regarding statements made in the OP by a rep of AMSAT regarding how funds are raised and budgets managed. The intent was to help satisfy the expected curiosity of others within and outside of amateur radio that may be interested to contribute support for future missions.

Unfortunately several responses to the fair questions posted here were not made in a very friendly tone. After making the suggested contact with AMSAT-NA HQ and doing more online research it was also found some answers offered in this thread were less then accurate to just incorrect. Sad to state, but IMHO, this is not helpful nor a good sign for the future of AMSAT-NA. That's a shame. :(

Far from being about any individual, the attempt was to open the topic just a tiny bit to explore possibilities for improving the future of the Amateur-satellite service. But now I see others have tried this in the past and also received similar rebuke.

By all means Hawk, continue having fun with the exclusive LEO sat club! :D

9. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

So you are reading the minds of others? You are the only one I have seen that has posted anything questioning/accusing the misuse of AMSAT-NA donations. Either join the organization and vote for the leadership YOU would like to have or quit fussing about something, of which, you have no right to fuss about. Put your money where your mouth is. I'm a very average ham with a lot less money than many, but because my child and I are active on the birds, I spend the money to be members (both of us). We attended the last Symposium and are trying to budget for the next Symposium. I realize that average folks like us are who keep the organization alive and help to keep amateur radio in space.

KD2MDP likes this.
  10. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not a member nevertheless as a licensed radio amateur AMSAT forwards my email, and has never demanded 2 ¢

I hope my email address advertises AMSAT for inquiries and subsequent donations.

WE4B likes this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The "others" mentioned are those in the public with philanthropic inclinations who may not (yet) be Hams and/or don't know AMSAT from AMWAY but perhaps could be persuaded to take a serious interest in advancing amateur radio, amateur satellites, and associated STEM education. If only ...

Mind reading is not necessary, when solicited serious philanthropists freely speak their concerns and requirements, and are astute enough to ask the same questions (and many more and tougher) that have been posed here.

Please understand, I am not trying to cause harm to AMSAT-NA. Where does that mistaken notion come from asking questions? Quite the opposite, I would prefer to see its vision flourish. But am not getting much cooperation from temperamental LEO sat fanatics while trying to prepare for and offer "others" engaging answers. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  12. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who are you talking about?

13. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not you. Although your answers including deflecting to AMSAT-HQ have not offered new insight either. Martha was far more helpful. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  14. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I literally just walked inside from a pass of AO-92 where my daughter worked a DX station. Granted, Mexico isn't that far away but it would seem to me that the birds AMSAT-NA have launched have been extremely successful and are teaching a new generation how to operate them.

I will, once again, invite you to become a member of AMSAT and to vote in elections. Until you do so, none of us will take your comments seriously.

Why are you obsessed with AMSAT merging with another non-profit?

15. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Me? Please note that I have been working satellites for decades dating back to the RS series of birds. The first FM bird I used was AO-27. I don't recall your amateur radio call sign on any contacts be they analog or digital.