ad: portazero-1

AMSAT's Fox-1Cliff Satellite Launched, Initial Telemetry Received

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8HM, Dec 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Trust me, I hardly worship AMSAT. You were given answers to your questions. It was explained to you that there were NDAs in place yet you want to keep trying to create controversy by making it seem like there is some kind of conspiracy. I've told you before and I'll tell you again, if you don't like how AMSAT-NA operates, become a paid member and vote for who you would like for leadership. Attend symposiums, network with fellow members, offer to be an AMSAT Ambassador. Become a part of the AMSAT community rather than an outsider accusing the organization of misusing monies.

My 12 year-old daughter made a contact with a board member (W5PFG) this evening using an AMSAT-NA satellite. This contact would NOT have been possible without AMSAT-NA's volunteers working to keep amateur radio in space. About 45 minutes before my daughter's QSOs with several stations via AO-92, I used the digipeater aboard the ISS to make digital contacts. Yep, I'm a cheerleader for AMSAT-NA. You may ask why. I'll tell you why. The time that I get to spend with my daughter operating via satellites is precious to me. It's time that can never be replaced or duplicated and it has taught her so much about science and will impact her future. She may never be a rocket scientist, but it has/will affect her future life.

I'll continue to be a member of AMSAT-NA as will my daughter and we will continue to be cheerleaders for the organization as it currently fits our needs as radio amateurs. AMSAT-NA keeps amateur radio in space with satellites that allow communication between other amateurs, not just satellites in the amateur bands with CW beacons.

@W0PV why do you think AMSAT-NA is squandering donations? Why would you imply this? I've never heard you on a satellite and my daughter and I are typically on the birds every day. I would love to hear the back story of why you seem so obsessed with what AMSAT-NA is paying for a satellite launch.

2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, I'm Methodist, but I would suggest that you not take jabs at the religion of anyone else. I think Matthew 7:1 said it best, "judge not lest ye be judged".

3. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the AMSAT Journal, there's been a fundraising ad on the inside last page for quite a while asking for $125,000 for the launch of FOX-1C and FOX-1D. I'm not sure exactly what that covers, but it's at least a number.

W0PV and AG5DB like this.
  4. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, whatever... go pick a fight somewhere else. I'm not interested.

5. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

For anyone interested... yes, it was Fox-1C (later named Fox-1Cliff). https://www.amsat.org/new-premium-for-amsat-fox-donations/

A really good campaign... they offered challenge coins and solar panel covers used on the ACTUAL bird now in orbit! I'm glad I was able to contribute and am proud to display my coin. SAY! I should remember to pack it in my rover bag for any show and tell that might happen while out roving. Good way to make interesting conversation. You know... something more sane sounding than being asked, "Why you keep saying 'UFO'? You tryin' to talk to aliens or sumthing???" :eek::D:cool:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    WD9EWK and W5PFG like this.
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a start, thanks, and what I am looking for, a ball park figure. But apparently, by implication, to launch Fox-5Cliff whatever remained in the Fox fund was exhausted and then resources from the General Fund were used to make up the difference, which is now one of the justifications being used to "refill the coffers". I am curious what that ball park figure may be.

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not picking a fight. On the contrary, I am trying to further the cause of the Amateur-Satellite Radiocommunication Service, by asking fair questions about the process and finances being used by AMSAT-NA.

What I get so far is stonewalling, obfuscation and diversionary responses, and now in some cases, attempts at online bullying. Others observing that who may be considering joining or contributing to AMSAT may be repulsed.

No jab. Scientology does not follow the biblical writings of the Apostles. Like fanatic worship of other celebrated organizations it is paganism. 2 Corinthians 13:5 "Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves."

73, John, WØPV

AG5DB likes this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

This morning about 9:30 am EST I called the number and got voice-mail. I left a message after the greeting from Martha. Patiently waiting for the return call.

Meanwhile I did a bit more digging online and looked at the AMSAT-NA Financial Review and IRS forms 990. The last one published was for 2016. On page 2 it shows a precise dollar figure of $162,258 for Satellite Development, etc, which reportedly includes launching, but don't know if any occurred. This is down substantially from the same category in 2015 which was $261,451.

Those numbers do not specify to the level of detail PER PROJECT FUND, but they start to form the answers being sought. And it demonstrates that despite any NDA that may be in place, public discussion of such finances need not / ought not be entirely limited.

Why hasn't the AMSAT-NA Financial Review and IRS form 990 been published online for 2017?

9. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure why. If the 2016 Form 990 is any guide, maybe it is still being prepared for filing with the IRS.

Another source for recent Form 990s is the IRS web site. You can search for organizations either by name or their Employer Identification Number at:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/

When I searched for AMSAT by its name (Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation), I saw 2016 copies of Form 990 and Form 990-T were available. I downloaded AMSAT's 2016 Form 990, and saw that the return was signed by the former president Barry Baines on 10 December 2017 - almost one year ago. There was a Received stamp on the middle of the first page, which had 19 December 2017 as the date it was received by the IRS in its Ogden, Utah, facility.

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

If a nonprofit org fiscal year follows the calendar as most do the IRS 990 is due in May. One six month extension is allowed, making it absolutely due in November. So to be in compliance it needed to be filed by now. Other non-profits like the ARRL have filed with such extensions, and their 2017 form 990 is now online.

A bit more troubling is that the AMSAT-NA Financial Reviews, created by their CPA auditors and published online, used as the basis for the IRS 990, do not indicate the status of donation funds for separate programs, ie, General vs. GOLF vs. ARISS. They are basically just the 990 data in a different format. This doesn't demonstrate the principle asserted earlier in this thread that donations to the funds are separately accounted and utilized.

11. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh goody, we can recycle all the League-bashing conspiracy theory threads with AMSAT as the target!

KF4ZKU, KD4IEM, KO4MA and 3 others like this.
  12. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

The launch was great & having more "BIRDS" to work now is wonderful ! less time to wait for the next pass of a different satellite ! But we still need a geo stationary bird over the mid Pacific ! so we here on the west coast can work Asia & more Islands in the P.O. Great work AMSAT & Space X ! Got to run I have a pass coming in 10 min. see you on the birds. 73' Phil KI6PMD..

W5PFG likes this.
  13. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

its-a-conspiracy-conspiracy.jpg

KF4ZKU, KO4MA, WE4B and 2 others like this.
  14. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that only AMSAT officers would have the info you need... not sure the rest of us AMSAT 'regulars' would have that info to even hazard a guess. I sure don't and don't know if it's available online.

Think contacting AMSAT directly would be the best approach. Can't imagine that reasonable questions wouldn't be answered.

15. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On another note, have repurposed my PI to Fox In A Box w/RTL-SDR. We'll see how my ground plane at 10' picks up telemetry on the upcoming passes...

KO4MA, WD9EWK, WE4B and 3 others like this.