ad: Flexradio-1

It's Ham Vs.Ham As Radio Amateurs Are In Conflict At ARRL

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KX4OM, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Par for the course here on the Zed. They never let the truth get in the way of running down the ARRL.

WU8Y, WN1MB, N6HCM and 1 other person like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think he does.

All it would take is a pointer to a particular issue and page to prove the claim. Nothing has been forthcoming.

Not the same thing at all!

And to be precise, they accepted ads from the organization. Would it be legal for them to refuse? If so, on what grounds?

Exactly.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

... or singing it's praises.

N2SUB likes this.
  4. WB4IME

WB4IME Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have a copy of the ad /s that were run back then. As I said, I discontinued my membership. I did write the Ad Manager regarding the ads. His summarized response was : They would have to change the ARRL corporate registration to something else in order to have the ability to refuse such ads. I don't know a lot about corporate registrations but I presumed he meant ARRL would have to change to private ownership (no be a corporation) which would expose them to taxes and liabilities they were interested in dealing with.

I do recall the ads were in with the rest of the "regular" listings .. meaning it wasn't a colorful 'block' ad .. not a 1/4 page ad, etc. Simply a two or three line listing.

Serious of not .. the ads were there .. I inquired about them .. ARRL refused to stop the ads .. I dropped my membership. Enough said.

If anyone has a means of searching old ads ... I believe it was in the early 70's.

5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A little research shows that NAMBLA was founded December 2nd, 1978. Therefore there are only 12 issues that were both "in the 70s" and were published after NAMBLA's inception. Seems like it should be pretty easy to track it down if you're an ARRL member, since I think those QSTs are now in electronic format. Don't know....no longer a member....had nothing to do with NAMBLA or money. :)

N2EY likes this.
  6. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

they're searchable, but not available as complete issues ... of course the NAMBLA word doesn't turn up. this is for a search all the way through 2012.

N2SUB likes this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Accuracy unknown, however this was quickly discovered using the search terms "1970's arrl gay advertising controversy" - not exactly FBI or CIA level sleuthing, ffs, with the startpage.com search site.

From https://www.rara.org/:

"In the mid 1970's, a gay ham from 6-Land placed personal ad's in 73 magazine asking gay hams to contact him. He had responses and CW skeds on a 40M frequency was established. In the early 1980's another ham member who was gay had placed ads in the 'Advocate' and in mid 80's formed the LAMBDA AMATEUR RADIO CLUB. The ARRL refused personal ads in QST for LARC; (one was placed by mistake by the ARRL in late 80's). The Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund went to court against the ARRL on behalf of LARC. The court ruled ARRL violated Connecticult's anti-discrimiation laws and could not refuse the monthly ad."

Wonder if IME is lawyering up?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    N2EY, KA0HCP and N6HCM like this.
  8. WM9K

WM9K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the concept of an organization that goes to bat for amateurs is a good one, but it just needs an overhaul. Just like any organization of this type ,you find corruption after a while. Keep the faith everyone!

9. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was then and am regular reader of QST. I always read the classifieds. An ad like that would have made more than a lasting impression. Show me. Show me or stfu. The day is long gone when I let BS like this pass without comment.

N2EY and KA0HCP like this.
  10. WB4IME

Wish I could show you just for the verification. Sorry I can not because haven't been a member since that time. However, if you or anyone else is still a member and interested in researching, here is a link for members to view old issues. Hopefully it includes the advertisements as well.

http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-expands-member-access-to-em-qst-em-archive

11. WN1MB

Nice dodge. Substantiate your claim.

Look up the definitions of "liable" and "defamation." You may have been avoiding sending membership dues to Newington since the 70s, but could be ordered to send money their way in the future.

I'll repeat for emphasis: Substantiate your claim.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  12. WN1MB

Not a valid defense in a court of law.

13. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never happened. Your confused memory coupled with the desire to smear ARRL at any cost results in false claims that will be endlessly repeated. (Member since 1978).

WU8Y, N2EY and WN1MB like this.
  14. WB4IME

Does anyone know of a free website for past issues ? I'll do the research.

15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

No. You have to be a member. Which I'm pretty sure you're not.

I just did a keyword search of the ENTIRE QST ARCHIVE in the section called "Advertisers Index" for the name of that awful organization which I refuse to type here, and came back with NOTHING. ZIP. Tried the acronym, spelled out, added periods between the letters. NOTHING.

What a RIDICULOUS and utterly false and hateful claim. You really should be ashamed for making up awful stuff like that just to try to make some point about an ax you have to grind

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    WA1LBK, WU8Y, N2EY and 1 other person like this.