ad: AbAuRe-1

SteppIR UrbanBeam and SDA 2000 full review (HF antenna)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Nov 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a full review of the SteppIR UrbanBeam (multiband HF antenna) with the SDA 2000 controller (OptimizIR). It’s part 3 of a video series. See part 1 for the unboxing and part checklists and part 2 for the full assembly.

Hope you enjoy. 73 Pascal VA2PV

SDA2000_thumb.jpg

KC2KKQ, W2CSI, W5RSC and 12 others like this.
  2. K2CB

K2CB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

First class videos, Pascal!

Eric
    K2CB

M1WML, W3FLH and VA2PV like this.
  3. VA2PV

Thank you Eric, 73 Pascal VA2PV.

M1WML likes this.
  4. W3FLH

W3FLH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent video series, Pascal. I'm readying a rooftop install, and had settled on the Tennadyne T6 LPDA for my first directional antenna. Then, I stumbled across the UrbanBeam, and began to give it some serious consideration. Finding your videos, coupled with a conversation with another ham from my club who has a SteppIR DB-18, made up my mind: there will be an UrbanBeam on my roof in the near future!

Thanks again for posting this informative series, and for sharing your experiences with the rest of us.

de Tony W3FLH

M1WML, WB5THT and VA2PV like this.
  5. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video Pascal,

Max
    VE3TMT

M1WML and VA2PV like this.
  6. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thought provoking...nice work:cool:

7. VA2PV

Hi Tony,

Thanks for watching and for your good comments. This antenna is very impressive and I really like it. 73 Pascal VA2PV

M1WML and W3FLH like this.
  8. N3AWS

N3AWS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic review!

Jim N3AWS

9. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the T-11 you would have loved the T-6 trust me/ my friend runs the t-6 he loves it. moving parts wires motors fiberglass and what not in the north = maintance good luck

Attached Files:

M1WML likes this.
  10. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally somebody did a review !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pascal thanks was waiting for this for the past year.
    Especially the new controller!

Ian

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    VA2PV likes this.
  11. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

a great antenna but... they do break eventually..
    had mine up 10 years then broke.. parts were to expensive to replace..
    i now have a 10 element log periodic which was half the price as the steppir
    and no motors... yipeee

12. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

THUMBS UP ON YOUR 10 element I have the T-11 Tennadyne, THEY CAN KEEP THEM GROSLY OVERPRICED fiberglass antennas. my 960.00 vs there 3000.00 and for what? so they have great swr? our logs already have great swr's with no parts to break or wear out.

M1WML likes this.
  13. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

to right mate...
    and no parts available here in the uk...
    i phoned the supposed dealer here and they were not interested anymore... shame on you steppir...

14. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

wayne they can keep them measuring tape fiberglass antennas. our antennas are great swr's. so they have 1 2 db more is it that much of a difference? my tennadyne was 960.00 compared to 3000.00 u.s.d. and for what? I achieved the same thing they did and you as well wayne. if I had to do it over again? ide do it no different GREAT CHOICE AND MOVE WAYNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Eddie Barra AE2B

M1WML likes this.
  15. VR2ZQZ

VR2ZQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using two Tennadyne T8 6 el logs which withstood Hong Kong Typhoon No 12 with minor damage even being thrown from mast...Needed just a few tubing to be replaced .
    Sophisticated designs with electronics , motors and CPU would be evaporated by direct lightning bolt when my aluminum T6 just had deep welding marks.... And the price for them is beyond the limit.... See you in Contests< Oms... 73 Mr. Igor VR2ZQZ / VR2EH

M1WML likes this.