ad: ProAudio-1

2 Meters … The New CB Band Of Interference?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB4IME, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

If the satellites required some sort of technical ability to work you might have a point.

You can't complain when a repeater is placed in orbit such that a 25 dollar radio is all it takes, then complain those dam 25 dollar radios are interfering.

Let's be honest here, current amateur satellites are just expensive cb radios.

Rege

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

And in this thread we learn who some of the homicidal maniacs are.

Shooting at a HUMAN BEING because you dont like what radio he's talking on.

Wow.

Rege

NUITSBLANCHES, W8YIH, KI7ZRI and 4 others like this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would take exception to your comments here. Nodes and hotspots are considered "auxiliary stations" and are allowed in the vast majority of the 2M spectrum. They are not any more legal or illegal in the spectrum where they are allowed than simplex use. They are not prohibited from operating on repeater input or output frequencies, as long as they are not creating interference. They are allowed to be automatically controlled, so they can be as unattended as a beacon or repeater, which can also operate under automatic control.

There are some that operate in areas not authorized to aux stations, and these are simply illegal. But there is no reason an unused frequency on 2M cannot be used for these purposes, as long as it is in the aux subband.

K0PV/SK2023 and K8XG like this.
  4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

You have suggested a very positive way to deal with the situation. And, one that does not pit one group of users against the other, if handled properly.

As others have said, in previous posts, the Ham Bands are (supposed) to be 'self policing.' And, historically, that what was done. However, IMO, the definition and meaning of 'self policing' has, for some, changed over time.

Self policing used to mean that a Ham, or bunch of Hams (club), would make recordings, triangulate the offenders location, obtain a name, address, call (if possible) and otherwise do the necessary investigative work to build a dossier on the individual. The dossier would then be handed over to the FCC in a formal complaint.

Self policing does not mean calling the FCC and complaining about 14.313 or about the Good Buddies' language up on 80 meters. As we all know the FCC does not have the budget or man power to perform the investigations. And, generally speaking, the FCC does not go looking for offenders on the Ham Bands. But, if a group of Hams start complaining, makes numerous complaints, and supplies the FCC with a Dossier on the offender(s) and their egregious behavior then it is more likely the FCC will respond. The proverbial 'squeaky wheel' gets the grease.

Dan KI4AX

AC7DD and WU8Y like this.
  5. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just goes to show that the old adage about nothing new in the universe is really new is itself very true. If you have been on QRZ long enough you might remember this subject coming up years ago. Nothing was done then and nothing will be done now either.

I'm not saying that the OP is wrong, because he isn't. The problem then and now is simply that posting a thread on a website accomplishes nothing. The FCC have apparently given up on amateur radio enforcement. We are supposed to be " self policing"? We cannot do that now with licensed hams, how in the world are we supposed to "police" unlicensed individuals?

Vigilante operations? Mass protests in the front yard?

Neither option will work. The ready availability of cheap handhelds has probably made this problem worse, but it's not a new problem and we still haven't got a viable solution.

Sorry for this contribution to thread drift...

6. W0RIO

W0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like a better approach than unloading your Remington 12 gauge in their direction.
    Just like CBers, there are a certain percentage of these guys who like to play with radios. Why not
    tap into that potential pool and find the guys who might make good hams?

My first confirmed radio contact was as a kid playing with a Radio Shack walkie talkie, a friend and I were
    QRMing a St. Louis MO high powered CBer named "Moondog". He actually came back to us and told us
    kids to get off of his channel ;-) My reaction: Wow, this thing actually works!

WB9RRU, W1TRY and AC7DD like this.
  7. GW0GHF

GW0GHF Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the purposes of the Radio Society of Great Britain (RSGB) is to discourage unlicensed operation on radio waves whether its top band (160m) or UHF (70 cms ) Join today ! It costs only about £5 per month to join. See their website~~ just type in RSGB to google search. (from Brian de GW0GHF. Wales, UK)

8. N1WT

N1WT Ham Member QRZ Page

So there are taxis, tow trucks and Chinese food delivery guys being dispatched on 2m and we need a long and scathing indictment of an entire
    sport? 2m has long been an opportune target for people who want cheap communications and don't want licensing hurdles. This has way less to do with
    paramotoring than it does with the virtual discontinuation of enforcement by the FCC not only in the amateur spectrum but in LMR, broadcasting and other services. I am less offended by a few adrenaline junkies using 2m than by the licensed operators who make a zoo out of the band.

I agree with WB0RIO that extending an olive branch in the form of an invitation to help them get a license is a much better route than jumping up and down waving your fists in the air. My wife took online tests for less than a week (20 minutes per day or about 2 hours total) and managed a respectable
    passing score on the tech exam. She admits to knowing nothing but she memorized the answers and is legal. If these guys are smart enough to fly around under a bed sheet with a motor on a backpack and not kill themselves they can easily pass the tech exam.

KW4ZW, WU8Y, WQ4G and 1 other person like this.
  9. N1WT

N1WT Ham Member QRZ Page

Aha. So now you see that there are people who take amateur radio way too seriously. It is a hobby. I figured that out when I saw an add for actual ham radio operator badges in an amateur publication. Badges? Really?

We are not so special and there are a lot bigger problems in the world than sports enthusiasts of one sort or another using 2m to talk to each other.

Paramotoring actually sounds like fun and if they don't have people who are uptight and potentially homicidal among them maybe it is a more relaxing hobby than amateur radio. :)

W8YIH and WU8Y like this.
  10. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been hearing a repeater on 146.575. I thought that was simplex only.
    Seems to be in NJ.

11. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet they are all using 40$ Baofeng's up there ! & yes they should be on VHF air band so they don't end up in the intake of a fast mover ! & listen there & use MURS or FRS or GMRS ! I hope they fly better then they THINK !!! 73

WQ4G likes this.
  12. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really. $30 for one Baofeng, or around $20 for a pair of FRS/GMRS radios.

K4XJ and AC7DD like this.
  13. N2UHC

"They" are too busy playing whack-a-mole with FM band pirates in Miami or the NYC area. If you read the Enforcement Bureau notices, that's about all they have listed, unless it's a TV or Radio station not keeping a log book or running less power than they're supposed to.

14. N2UHC

We don't need no stinkin' badges...

15. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A few points:
    1. I have never ever heard anything like this. If this is common, I assume we have recordings?
    2. Air band radios are not ideal for coordinating with ground crews besides for being expensive.
    3. 2 Meters FM seems dead most places. If we actually do have all these people that want to use 2 meters, why not recruit them?
    4. I am a pilot and I think I would notice if powered parachute use was "exploding". Outside of an airshow, I rarely see these things.

K4XJ, W8YIH, AC7DD and 4 others like this.