ad: cq2k-1

It's Ham Vs.Ham As Radio Amateurs Are In Conflict At ARRL

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KX4OM, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W2WDX

W2WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It never ceases to amaze me how people quit organizations when things are not being done for THEM (and most times it's over a single issue). An organization such as ARRL cannot and never will be able to makes sure all of its decisions are in line with every individual member. Someone is always going to be on the other side of a decision. YOU are not always going to be in-line with whatever decisions or direction they may take. If you can't accept that and live with it, and see the broader picture then you are myopic and unrealistic.

It is impossible for the ARRL to do its work and make every ham happy. They must make choices, and there are always two sides to every scenario. So if you quit or don't join over some issue they didn't pursue your way, you are just not thinking realistically. You're being reactionary and unable to accept the greater good nor able to understand how any organization functions.

To say it's about money is ignorant. Most of these top positions are a full time job and the stipends paid are tiny compared to what can be had in the private sector. Non-profit organizations do not mean people work and make a commitment for free. To think so is childish and naive. Like any position you have to pay to get anyone with any competency, even marginal.

Furthermore, if you are not a member and do not even read the information how can you even express an opinion that would be considered valid?

So the OP is saying there WAS a problem with transparency, of which those rules have been suspended. And the problem is? Clearly they are reviewing the very common confidentiality and compliance guidelines. Such guidelines are by no means unusual for any board, whether the corporation is profit or non-profit. A board is there to make decisions, and once those decisions are voted upon and in place, to come out afterward in opposition to that decision undermines the ability of the board to make any decisions. There is a process in place and if a board member continues a debate after a decision was made, he simply did not make an good enough argument when debate on the issue occurred and any action after the vote is meant to undermine the boards decision making process. Since the board also makes decision that may involve political lobbying efforts it is strategically ignorant to make certain decisions public. Confidentiality means not showing your hand. If you cannot understand the need for strategic confidentiality of a board, again, you are naive and do not understand how the world works. A board would be incompetent if it failed to have some form of confidentiality requirement for people seated. Another single stupid concept is that somehow people think a corporation (whether for profit or non-profit) is somehow a democratic body. That's ludicrous. It is not. It can apply some limited democratic ideas in its charter (like elections), but it is not and cannot be expected to function adequately as a fully democratic entity. Decisions would simple never be made if that was the case.

WU8Y, W0MSN, K7NDE and 5 others like this.
  2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

That just doesn't make sense.
    Exactly what does "being a member" have to do with knowledge regarding making a decision.

Are you saying that the arrl only provides information to members only?

Is this "secret" info only spoken behind closed doors?

N2AMM likes this.
  3. N2AMM

N2AMM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pleased that you are "amazed" and would like to state that I find your five paragraphs amazing, too.

4. N1SCA

N1SCA Ham Member QRZ Page

RIGHT ON N2RJ WELL SAID AND 73, DE N1SCA:)

K2WPM and K2GOG like this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

No, they are one of many. They may have more visibility than others, but they have no more sway with the regulators than any other individual or group.
    No, this is just another AR club having another internal squabble. Nothing more. This has been going on for decades, in many AR clubs. The only difference this time is that the A**L has more visibility than the Podunk, OK, ARC.
    On the contrary, if enough people "vote with their feet," this issue will go away, and we (as a service) can move on to talking about more interesting subjects. Since the League's US membership rate is now less than 20%, this whole issue is already well on its way to irrelevance.

6. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's one of the reasons I voted for you - and sent my ballot in the day I received it.

K2GOG likes this.
  7. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? According to the tax information (public record for non-profits, so feel free to look it up) the combined salary for the top 11 paid ARRL Officers in 2016, was in the neighborhood of $7 MILLION....I'll let you do the math from there.

The ARRL is just like dozens of other non-profits...only a very small portion of the money they take in, actually make into the program. The bulk of it goes to paying excessive salaries to the executives.

N6CXD, KC1DR, WB6RDV and 1 other person like this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course they must claim a lot of deductions to offset that as well as the profits from their publishing empire. Yet they still beg for equipment donations to W1AW

9. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I just love the question and answer for Section A, 7b:

Question: Are any governance decisions of the organization reserved to (or subject to approval by) members, stockholders, or persons other than the governing body?

Answer: No

N9WFT and KM1H like this.
  11. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

That figure is total compensation, including benefits & payroll taxes, for one hundred staff members, not just the officers.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    WU8Y and N2EY like this.
  12. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

that's dumb. do you know how to read? look at form 990 page 7 and 8. most directors are uncompensated; officers' compensation was $800k.

N2EY likes this.
  13. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So if we take $7,000,000 and divide by 100, the total compensation is about $70,000 each, including all benefits and payroll taxes.

And that's in CT, where the cost of living isn't low.

IOW, nobody gets rich working at ARRL Hq.

73 de Jim, N2EY

WB3EYB, KE5OFJ and KA0HCP like this.
  14. KM4KGN

Actually...no. It's just for the 11 top officers.

15. KM4KGN

As I said...the information is public record. It not my fault you lack the ability of how to look up ALL of the relevant information.