ad: TinyPaddle-1

YLs on the USS Batfish

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N5HZR, Oct 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N5HZR

N5HZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On October 12th through the 14th of 2018, some YLs from Kansas, Texas, and Oklahoma were guests of the USS Batfish Radio Club and participated in honoring the memory of 75th anniversary of the lost 52 submarines event. More information and photos are available at https://w5nor.org/batfish.

The USS Batfish is a Balao-class submarine. During WW2, the Batfish sunk three Japanese Navy submarines in a 76-hour timeframe. As a tribute to the 52 submarines and 3,505 US sailors that were lost during the war, Albert Kelly and a group of submarine veterans worked to bring the Batfish to the Muskogee War Memorial Park, at the port of Muskogee, OK in the early 1970’s.

The members of the USS Batfish and USS Oklahoma Amateur Radio Club are working to remember and commemorate each of the United States Navy Submarines that were lost during the Second World War on the 75th Anniversary of their loss.

During this activation, there were two submarines that were honored. The USS Wahoo was sunk in October 1943 with 80 men on board. The USS Dorado was also sunk in October 1943 and had 77 men on board. The YLs made a total of more than 350 contacts during the 3-day event. QSL information is available on the WW2SUB club website.

They called CQ on board the Batfish from one of the three radios systems they had on board. They used the WW2SUB club gear that is located in the original radio room. And, with the assistance of their USS Batfish Club host Wade Harris KF5IF, built temporary stations in the crew’s mess and in the operation area. They hung wire antennas and deployed the club’s portable tower in the rain. Many of the YLs slept overnight in the original crew quarters on the ship. They even got to experience a power outage on the sub.

Attached Files:

KG5SSW, K7YB, AC7DD and 10 others like this.
  2. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Were some of these YLs the granddaughters of some of the original crew?

KA5RUZ/SK2022, AE1CT, N5HZR and 2 others like this.
  3. W5MQC

W5MQC Ham Member QRZ Page

No they were not. It would have been an honor to have them with us.

DW3TRZ and K2JBC like this.
  4. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Honoring boats of The Silent Service.
    My family toured the Battleship Alabama Memorial in Nov 2007, We also toured the USS Drum. To actually spend the nights in the sub. Scary and Amazing!
    I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

Erika DD

N5HZR, WE4B, W5MQC and 1 other person like this.
  5. WB5THT

WB5THT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh my, what a great event for the girls! We've toured many WWII ships and several submarines including the captured German U-505. Those subs were cramped and even the period destroyers were relatively small (narrow!)

N5HZR, W5MQC and K2JBC like this.
  6. W3VTU

W3VTU Ham Member QRZ Page

So excited to see this! My grandfather served on submarines for 20 years and retired as a Chief Torpedoman. I grew up hearing stories and I have been fortunate enough to meet some of the guys he served with in the silent service. I hope to make contact with this group the next time they activate.

N5HZR and W5MQC like this.
  7. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I've never spent the night on the USS Drum but have spent three nights on the USS Alabama with my son and his Scout troop. I can't imagine what it was like during the war.

WB5THT, N5HZR and W5MQC like this.
  8. W4KG

W4KG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's good to see that some of the old fleet boats are still around.
    The two submarines I was on are long gone.
    SSBN 632, SSBN 657.
    MT1 (SS) Wilson
    W4KG

K0DD, W2MIX, K1LKP and 2 others like this.
  9. W5MQC

W5MQC Ham Member QRZ Page

The USS Batfish Activates often. They are honoring each of the lot 52 submarines on the 75th anniversary of thier loss. They will also be activating for Veterans Day. You can find out more information on their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Batfisharc/

KG5SSW, K0DD and N5HZR like this.
  10. W3FHT

W3FHT Ham Member QRZ Page

So where does one find out the frequencies that are/will be used? I could not find anything on the web page or facebook. TIA

W5MQC and N5HZR like this.
  11. KF7WAG

KF7WAG Ham Member QRZ Page

Need more Fem’s In This Great Interest Called Amateur Radio, Not just yl’s.

12. N5HZR

N5HZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This will vary based on the activation. The Facebook group https://facebook.com/Batfisharc/ should be the best way to stay in touch. There's email info, and phone numbers that should be able to help. "Like" the page, and you'll see the activations as they happen.

13. KG5SFT

KG5SFT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Neat story, thanks for sharing. I have a QSL card from the USS Batfish.

14. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh that's sounds neat Jeff; I'm sure your Son and the rest of the boys had a blast! We took two different Alabama Tours, which got us around to whatever was accessible via tour at the time. Then the Drum experience. The Alabama being the sister ship of the South Dakota BB57, we made a day of it. Going through the SD memorial in Sioux Falls lacks the Awesomeness Factor of actually climbing through these warships... There's only pieces, photos and videos of as the Ship was scrapped long ago. Craig and I look forward to venturing to the USS Iowa someday. I did talk to the Iowa on HF during one of their Ham Radio activations in 2017

I love motor yachting or being on a pleasure cruise, however serving on one of those submarines is way beyond anything I can imagine. As an adult I got the creeps on the submarine ride at Disneyland... :confused:

Erika DD

15. WB1ARU

WB1ARU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice work by a great group of YLs! They even had a piper play on board to commemorate the lost subs.

W5MQC, N5HZR and K0DD like this.