ad: Retevis-1

Amateur Radio Parity Act of 2017 Quietly Killed Off

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0RC, Sep 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like any other politician. Blackmail or Bribe. "Here are two tickets to Jersey Boys. This is not a Bribe."

2. NE1LL

NE1LL Ham Member QRZ Page

You can't find a community in Florida that does not use the boiler plate CAI CC&R's. The reality is these associations are a form of government. I drive 1.25 miles down a private road to my home. In order to get out of paying for the road both the city and county declined the roads. Code enforcement is redefined as CC&R's and while the community and developer demand variances a home owner has no such First Amendment right.

Your statement about buying elsewhere is flawed in Florida. Every new community is in an association as a way of government getting out of the business and costs of government.

The rules are so restrictive the guard won't let you pass with a 1/4 wave 2 Meter mobile antenna on your car. I even had my car ruled a commercial vehicle by association definition for having Amateur Radio license plates.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

You might want to verify that claim as someone else here recently said that about the Sarasota area and subsequently was given a list of a dozen areas where no CC&R antenna limitations exist. That dozen communities represents hundreds of homes. I'm quite sure the Ft Meyers area where you live has a proportionally larger selection.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the chart I've seen, FL is at approximately 40% properties in a HOA (the national rate is around 25%). IIRC, most states are at around 25%.

NE1LL likes this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to reread your Rules & Regulations, I just did.

6. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Even though it's against Federal regulations to use amateur radio for business? Seems to me that this is immense overreach by your local government (yes, HOAs are privatized governments) and should absolutely be reined in.

NE1LL likes this.
  7. N8DC

N8DC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just makes me think Tennessee seems even better all the time if I do decide to relocate. I do know a ham that has a tower in a community in Florida though. ?
    Dave N8DC

8. K1VSK

That's the second time you've made what certainly sounds like an absurd claim. I've read the CC&R documents which apply to your HOA and found no such provision applicable to ham radio license plates. This doesn't pass the laugh test.

Absent a picture, I wonder if it is in fact a commercial vehicle or has commercial advertising on it.

ND6M likes this.
  9. NE1LL

My CC&R's only state that about lettering. I sent the whole board the definition of Amateur Radio and the other four members agreed it was absurd. There are just people that have to hate something.

10. NE1LL

Does not matter what the rules say, it is how they are enforced. The exact rule says "no exterior antennas," I think every car has an external antenna.

11. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, so all of a sudden your vehicle is no longer a commercial vehicle... I call BS.

... and you would be wrong about every car having an external antenna.

12. K1VSK

A little while ago, you implied it was ruled as a commercial vehicle because you have your call on the plate. Now, you said they consider it as commercial if it has lettering (which yours doesn't?).

Your contradicting yourself indicates the problem lies elsewhere.

Question - why did you buy there if you don't like it? Or stay?

13. K5VOP

K5VOP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well Nelson is out and Rick Scott is in. Maybe we can get something passed now.

14. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

15. W1FYL

W1FYL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not just gated-community HOAs: it's apartment complexes, rental houses, retirement communities. Even if you own your own home you're faced with town zoning regulations and pissy neighbors. It's damned near impossible to get an antenna up unless you're rich enough to afford 20 acres in the country.

WU8Y likes this.