ad: elecraft

Amateur Radio Operator BSA uniform patch discontinued

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AK2M, Oct 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

https://k2bsa.net/2018/10/amateur-radio-operator-rating-strip-discontinued/

Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip — Discontinued
    The BSA's National Awards, Insignia, and Uniforms Committee has advised us that the Amateur Radio Operator Rating Strip has been discontinued. Here's the message from John Duncan, Volunteer Chair:

The BSA recognizes that our uniform remains an important method in our program delivery. It follows that we must be good stewards of the limited space available on the uniform. It is wonderful that there are so many organizations, certifications, ratings, and professional credentials that are so well aligned with Scouting's core values, as evidenced by a high volume and continuing flow of similar requests for uniform pieces to identify current military, military veterans, civil servants, doctors and other medical professionals, EMTs, firefighters, law enforcement, clergy/faith leaders, environmental professionals, and others. The view of the committee is that while all such professions, certifications and ratings are laudable, the BSA uniform is not a proper way to recognize any of these. Instead, guidance in response to such proposals is generally what the ARRL has already done -- creation of a national-level Award for Service to Scouting, approved for inclusion as part of the community organization knot.

While this is disappointing news, we can take consolation that we had a good run with the rating strip. Moreover, the existing rating strips can continue to be worn on the uniform. Here's the information shared by the Awards, Insignia, and Uniforms Committee:

All discontinued Boy Scouts of America uniforms and insignia may be worn in keeping with the applicable uniform and insignia guidelines as of the time of their production, so long as condition of original insignia does not detract from the neatness of the uniform. Exact reproductions or “private issue” insignia are not authorized for uniform wear. Furthermore, existing supply will continue to be sold until exhausted, so for the passionate followers, consider buying a lifetime supply now! Although the diagrams errantly created and communicated broadly via Bryan on Scouting never made it into a Guide to Awards and Insignia, existing awards may continue to be worn as depicted in those diagrams, in keeping with this guidance.

Given this information, it's probably time to stock up on the patches from BSA Supply. It's order number 617431 and here's the link for online ordering https://www.scoutshop.org/amateur-radio-operator-rating-strip-emblem-617431.html

The details for uniform placement and requirements can be found at https://k2bsa.net/operator-rating/

AC7DD likes this.
  2. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

I give these out to scouts and scouters who earn their ham radio licenses, with the next one likely to be in November. I just bought a bunch (more than I intended) so I will be issuing these for years to come.

W5JGW, K1GDI, KW4WL and 5 others like this.
  3. NW9F

NW9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is disappointing, but the BSA has become increasingly disappointing to me over the past decade.

ND6M, KB2QQM, NY7Q and 53 others like this.
  4. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE="KD4MAX, post: 4827537, member: 798279"

The BSA recognizes that our uniform remains an important method in our program delivery. [/QUOTE]

I haven't actually seen a Scout in uniform in many years. Most scouts this day and time, only wear the shirt with a pair of bluejeans, and 9 times out of 10 the shirt is not even tucked in. IF it is such an important part of the program...perhaps they should worry more about seeing that it is properly worn, rather than a little strip on the shoulder.

NY7Q, W5JGW, N8ZL and 14 others like this.
  5. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

Our troop is a 100% uniform troop, with random inspections counting toward inter-patrol competitions. I tell scouts to tuck in their shirts all the time. It's rare to see a scout in jeans (though I did see one at our meeting this week) but we do have to police the green socks. We only get about 70-80% compliance on that one.

N9OU, NY7Q, N3VMM and 6 others like this.
  6. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

The alternative is to let down our children and our neighbors' children. I prefer to work from the inside.

N9OU, KD5INM, WA0TDA and 2 others like this.
  7. AA0RI

AA0RI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Several years ago, I believe it was about 1994 our Amateur radio club in Manhattan, KS was asked to come to Kansas State University and put on radio merit badge training for certification one Saturday. There were various other merit badge sessions going on at the same time at various locations on the campus.

None of the boys that came to our radio sessions had read the book that was assigned reading prior to the session. Most paid no attention to our program and they all expected to receive the merit badge upon completion. Our club never returned to the event again when asked, we gave our reasons to the Scout officials.

If this is what the merit badges stand for, why have them?

Chuck Carter, AA0RI

NY7Q, WK0P, KA2FIR and 5 others like this.
  8. KM4AHP

KM4AHP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is the Radio Merit Badge Patch. That has not been discontinued and has to be earned when a scout completes all of the requirements for that merit badge which then is signed off by the merit badge counselor for that badge. The strip they are talking about is this one.
    617431.jpg

NY7Q, AE4LH, NA3P and 5 others like this.
  9. W8JBM

W8JBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps the patch has simply gone the way of the word BOY in Boy Scouts of America. It will always be hard to watch traditions and customs die out, with some having both intended and unintended consequences. Good luck to you guys doing your best fighting the good fight!

KB2QQM, AC0OB, WW3JR and 10 others like this.
  10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There were no Amateur Radio Operator strips when I was in scouting in the 70's. BSA has always had continually evolving uniforms. I don't see this is a big deal.

N4LRY, NY7Q, KT4RK and 4 others like this.
  11. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Kinda like the memorize-50-questions-and ZAP! I' m a ham, right? No *real* effort required to know the material--just be rewarded for NOT knowing it. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained". The product of a lazy, self-indulgent society. So long as I've got my I-pad, I've got all the 'communications' I need. :(

K0WJ and KF4ZKU like this.
  12. K5SPP

K5SPP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The view of the committee is that while all such professions, certifications and ratings are laudable, the BSA uniform is not a proper way to recognize any of these.

There ya go.

I have no problem with this decision.

N4LRY likes this.
  13. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Times change, Organizations change As a former cub scout, Webelos and Boy Scout, the organizations are not the same when I was a youth. I hope the organization flourishes in the 21st century. The Boy Scouts were founded in 1910 and the Cub Scouts in 1930, so I would expect changes as societies evolve through time.

KT4RK and AG5DB like this.
  14. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    It's REALLY SAD the the "BSA" is NOW A ORGANIZATION FOR MAKING EVERY MEMBER TO FEEL GOOD WITHOUT ANY REAL WORK, INSTEAD TO BOYS "EARNING THEM", AND (NOW) even GIRLS ARE ALLOWED IN THE "BSA"!!! Gawd !!! Whaddah paradigm SHIFT!!! HUH? SAD!!!

K9WIS, K7BOA, K8PG and 4 others like this.
  15. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

Where did you find a 50 question pool for an amateur license? Sure, there are 50 questions on an Extra exam, but you can't just pick any 50 and call it a day. But before you even get to Extra you've gotta deal with the Tech and General question pools. To imply people are memorizing 50 questions, passing a test, and being issued an amateur license is disingenuous and, frankly, flat out false.

N9JML, WA7WJR and KC2EGL like this.