ad: elecraft

JS8CALL (FT8CALL on Steroids) 20wpm - 24 db / Jordan KN4CRD does it again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So much thread drift; so few pages!

It's a modern miracle!

KF4ZKU, KV6O and KN4PHS like this.
  2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Brevity is the soul of wit ...

3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Much like any conversation with a room full of people. The likelihood the topics amongst us will drift is high. Particularly if the original subject is already well-covered early.

4. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is why I am a big fan of JS8CALL

It simply allows the ability to have a QSO at 20wpm at -24dB below the noise floor

Lets look at other means of working DX

1. BPSK31 requires at least 6dB above the noise floor to close the link (Along with RTTY)

Lets say you are using 1,000 watts to close the link, with JS8CALL only required 1 watt to close the link (30DB difference)

Yes, BPSK31 can work at 50wpm, but now JS8CALL can work at 20wpm. Not bad

Now lets look at CW

At very best CW works about -10dB below the noise floor at 20wpm.

Lets say you are using 200 watts for CW to close a link, all you need you need is 8 watts with JS8CALL (All at 20wpm) (Delta 14DB)

And we all know the program (And digital modes in general) will continue to advance, this is where the innovation will be for years to come.

KD6SM, G3SEA and N0YPD like this.
  5. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Io.groups is a good spot as I believe it offers chat, message and archive resources in one place The instant sign up, easy download of fast coming versions seems to provide easy development for fast coming versions. The downloads are painless, install quickly and easily while providing instant radio interface with no hassles. I think this mode is terrific as it is similar to FSQ, another fav but with ten db more sensitivity. Oh, Girthub has been scooped up by Microsoft I believe.... what could go wrong here?

6. ZS6BV

ZS6BV Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool innovation. Thank you Jordan.

7. KW1NG

KW1NG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's the info file..

Attached Files:

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

A calculated value of -24dB SNR means that the real effective SNR is closer to -18dB. Half the signal is provided out-of-band (the clock). That changes the real SNR value that was achieved by the modem by half, as well.

If the SNR is being calculated the same way WSJT-X is calculated, it has a number of additional skewed terms added to the SNR (or rather subtracted), as well.

W4MHZ likes this.
  9. WA1ZMS

WA1ZMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never been a fan of the way WSJT calculates the signal. I fully understand WHY it was done the way it was. Yet when people start using other SW to try and compare the pros & cons of one vs. another, the numbers become skewed.

>>>Nerd mode = ON<<<

What I dearly wish people would start to do is to reference the 99% BW of the transmitted signal
    and start using positive SNR values for a given BER %. That's the way I/we talkabout digital comms in the commercial world. We don't reference things to the noise power is some almost arbitrary SSB filter BW. For SSB, sometimes I like 1.8kHz and others 2.9kHz, but somebody else picked 2.2kHz. When/where do you stop?

kTB = -174dBm/Hz
    SNR = xdB above kTB for a given BER.

>>>Nerd mode = OFF<<<

N5RFX likes this.
  10. AI6XK

AI6XK Ham Member QRZ Page

both FT8 Call, and this new mode require people to create a new login, and forcing you to give them your email address! This is ham radio software, not some email gathering scam... or is it maybe both? I am not going to download either of these until I can download it without having to hand out my email! This seems excruciatingly LAME to me!

KF4ZKU and KN4PHS like this.
  11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

But maybe, for lots of us, CW is just plain fun. It can take lots of WORK to pull out a weak CW station - and that's fun.

Ya know? Fun? It's not always about "best S/N ratio" Think "challenging". Sometimes doing something hard is more rewarding than doing something easy. Stairs vs. Elevator. Bike vs. car. Lots of examples.

FT8 JS8 whatever ... computers talking to computers. Yes, I do FT8. But it's a computer yakking with a computer.

But comparing it to CW and the experience of CW, means you just "don't really get CW" so it's not really fair to just push it aside based solely on S/N ratio.

Photoshop does wonders for a skilled software person - but it's very different than a paint brush and full paint palate in the hands of an artist.

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    KF4ZKU, W4MHZ, KA2FIR and 5 others like this.
  12. W0FW

W0FW Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8Call IS this new mode....it was just renamed to JS8Call, but they are one in the same.

This software is also in the "development" stage. If you are insecure about giving out your email address, then you most likely are not a good candidate to be "testing" an experimental software package.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.........

When it becomes a "general" release, it will be made available to the public without the need to "sign up" or provide any "bits of information" from the user. We hope that when it reaches that stage, you will consider trying it out.

KD6SM likes this.
  13. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can still have negative SNR values in heavily coded systems like DVB-S2 without specifying bandwidth. The Es/N0 of 1/4 rate QPSK in DVB-S2 is -2.35 dB.

DVB-S2X has added a VL-SNR (Very Low - SNR) mode with Es/N0 down to -9.9 dB for 1/5 rate spread BPSK.

WA1ZMS likes this.
  14. WA1ZMS

WA1ZMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough. I had not considered DVB and its heavy coding. But to your better point, why don't the authors of the code hams use include specs such as Eb/No as well? I wish there was a more level plsying field instead of the broad guestimates which are often reported.

I've used WSJT & CW. I prefer CW if only for that it can be sent and coppied by the human operator. But digi for EME has a serious advantage. Working 6m FT8 when sigs can be coppied by ear? That's just wrong IMHO. :)

15. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Truly remarkable signal level parameters ! :cool:

G3SEA/KH6