ad: ProAudio-1

JS8CALL (FT8CALL on Steroids) 20wpm - 24 db / Jordan KN4CRD does it again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fellow Ham operators,

Today (Oct 7) is Jordan / KN4CRD Birthday, and he just gave the Ham community a real gift!

I always say, that most of the future innovation will be in the digital modes and Jordan (KN4CRD) has really hit a home run!

If you all recall, FT8 was criticized as robotic, no ability to have a real QSO.

Jordan (KN4CRD) created the FT8CALL, and that was great!. With FT8CALL you could have a QSO at 10 WPM while decoding at -24dB below the noise floor while only using 50 HZ Bandwidth!

But Ham operators were indicating 10 WPM is to slow

Welcome to JT8CALL...!

Now the code speed from 15 to 20WPM, mean while decoding at -24dB below the noise floor! (50HZ of Bandwidth)

Here is the down load URL

https://groups.io/g/js8call/wiki/Download-Links

You have to hand it to Jordan, (KN4CRD), this is amazing evolution in digital communications.

Some other great features.

There's a new "selective calling" (SELCALL) mode that you can enable. When enabled, it basically acts like a filter, preventing ALLCALL and BEACONs from being displayed in your RX text area. When enabled, only directed messages to you will be displayed. Along with this, is a new GROUPCALL callsign you can transmit to. It works like ALLCALL, except it will only be printed at stations that are within 100Hz of you. So, if you want to create a round table discussion with a few of your friends, QSY to within 100Hz from each other and send: "GROUPCALL HEY FRIENDS!"

The founder also created a way to manually synchronize your clock time
    (an adjust your clock drift, if necessary). It's not designed to be used as your primary means of synchronization (you should use NTP or GPS for that if you have it available).

The founder also created a new automatic "BEACON ACK" reply to be sent when you have BEACON mode enabled. It basically works as an automated "ALLCALL?" when you BEACON. This allows you to not have to send "ALLCALL?" manually any more. Just BEACON instead.

With this... stations who reply to you are now marked specially in the heard list so you can find them easily:

That's the benefit of BEACON ACK. All of that happens without intervention from you while you're BEACONing. Very cool.

A couple other things:

* Macros are renamed to Saved Messages.

* You can now save a message you've typed into the TX textbox without having to go into your settings.

* The TX watchdog is renamed to idle watchdog to be more clear with it's intent (and a few bugs with it fixed). If turned on, it'll prevent transmissions when you've been idle for more than N minutes. Useful if you don't want your station transmitting after you step away.

* Better buffering of messages while a station drifts more than a few Hz during message transmission.

There are a ton more features! Just down load and you will get the picture

Tom, NN2X, C U on the bands..

KD6SM, KM6SIK and VA3OSO like this.
  2. WA5GP

WA5GP Ham Member QRZ Page

This link wants you to log into that group site or create an account. When a download site comes available for interested individuals without having to log into or create an account ; let us know
    Thanks

KF4ZKU, KB7AA, G3NYY and 5 others like this.
  3. NN2X

Typo on my original post

Welcome to JT8CALL...! (Actually JS8CALL)

About the program

It does 15WPM, to 20 WPM....

Here is my take, if you like CW, and can do 20WPM, this does the same, just at -24dB below the noise floor. whereas at very best CW does -13db (And that is really favoring CW with many assumptions)

C U on the bands,

NN2X, Tom

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    KD6SM likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Is this ever going to be released with a direct link where you don't have to join a chat group?

Why not just host it on the web with a direct link?

Sounds like yet another really cool ham software innovation though...!

Dave
    W7UUU

KY5U, KF4ZKU and K2NCC like this.
  5. NN2X

I believe the creator of JS8CALL (Jordan KN4CRD) is still in the pilot tests phase. I think the final program will be end of Oct but I am not sure. Maybe Jordan will respond. But it is really neat program to try, and because it is similar to FT8, the familiarity allows less learning curve. The major difference is having a QSO at 20WPM, at -24db below the noise floor.

There is now a choice, FT8 click and store, or JS8CALL, click and have a QSO, at a livable 20wpm. All good

Cheers

CU NN2X, Tom

6. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Which license is this under? Why not post the source on Github (assuming it's open source)?

7. NN2X

I have no clue you can email Jordan directly, His call is KN4CRD, look on his QRZ page, and you can get his email address.

This program (FT8CALL and JS8CALL) has been out about 3 months..You should try it, amazing!

8. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure, someone create a Github repo so we can download the code and build it. Not going through groups.io for this.

9. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So have we now come full circle, back to PSK-etc?

Gotta say, I have not tried the new high-speed low-drag software yet. I kind of like it the way it is now.

I guess I'm a technological Luddite.

KL7KN likes this.
  10. NN2X

Please let me explain why JS8CALL is so important, especially when compared to BPSK31

BPSK31, requires at least +6dB S/N while JS8CALL only requires -24 db

If you needed a 1000 watts for BPSK31 to close a link, the JS8CALL only needs 1 Watt...

Note: BPSK31 WPM, is 50 words, while JS8CALL at 20 WPM..

The SN data was obtain from this URL
    https://bpsk31.com/articles/psk31-vs-cw/

KM6SIK likes this.
  11. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

So if a Technician successfully does JS8CALL at 20 WPM on 10-Meters, does he become an Extra? :rolleyes:

[ducks, hides, takes cover]

Dave
    W7UUU

AD5HR, K9ASE, WG7X and 2 others like this.
  12. NN2X

That is a good one! Well no code required! But the real deal is the fact that one can decode at -24db, at 20WPM...That blows away any other digital modes.

13. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

W7UUU, AG5DB and K2NCC like this.
  14. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Once we release 1.0 there will be a direct link. Because it's still in development it's best to join the group so you keep up to date with version releases (which happen every two weeks)

Cheers!

Best,
    Jordan / KN4CRD

AG5DB likes this.
  15. W7UUU

I'll keep an eye out for an official release at some point

Thanks for the reply.

My best to NN2X - he's surely your "fan club" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KN4CRD likes this.