ad: M2Ant-1

FCC rule to Include Ham Radio Operators

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1KGK, Oct 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1KGK

W1KGK Ham Member QRZ Page

Published on Oct 5, 2018
    The FCC Enforcement Notice DA 18-980 creates un-needed regulation that will affect lawful amateur operators. See the you tube link below

I'd like the Amateur clause removed and hams continue to be unregulated in this area: https://goo.gl/MwJ4J2
    Please sign the petition if you feel up to it: https://goo.gl/Emvv3V

2. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't watch entire video, I'm thinking are these really a problem? Yes, they're cheap and not as good as the "real radios." And can easily be made to operate in other radio services besides ham. But I ask how often does this happen compared to other problems. Bonnie KQ6XA in that other thread about Baofengs mentioned a bigger problem is proliferation of unlicensed RFI-generating lighting, powerline RF modems, power supplies, and induction power devices. I recently installed a loop antenna that Allen KG6HM wrote about in recent QST magazine, yeow! the amount of noise of all kinds of stuff in a condo.

Getting back to Baofengs, everyone encourages newbies to get one because lowcost. We have zillions of new hams that get their license in a ham-cram, buy a Baofeng and then we never hear from them again. Maybe emphasis the elmer/mentor and bring them into an activity, but that's another topic.

AE8W likes this.
  3. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is something I have wondered about for a long time.

4. KI6NAZ

Thanks for posting my video. Message/email if you have any concerns or if you think I messed something up in my interpretations.

5. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have to agree.. Bigger problems then Cheap HTs.

NY7Q likes this.
  6. K4MUN

K4MUN Ham Member QRZ Page

I use one but only on the 2-meter band, and it was what I could afford being retired.

KI2H and NY7Q like this.
  7. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "I'd like the Amateur clause removed and hams continue to be unregulated in this area:"

This isn't "law", per se.

It is, as it says an "FCC ENFORCEMENT ADVISORY". It is how they will interpret present law (applicable CFRs already existing on this subject that is) already on the 'books'.

My read of the ARRL dispatch on this brings to mind that their dispatch should be referenced in this thread as well.

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The ARRL is already in discussion with FCC staff to make sure the interpretation is correctly in favor of ham use. They should be your first contact for these sorts of matters.

http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-fcc-discussing-issue-of-uncertified-imported-vhf-uhf-transceivers

There’s also a thread on the topic here already, sorry I don’t have the link handy.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  9. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

10. KI6NAZ

I believe I made the video before the ARRL discussion memo. Further, I think the petition standing on it own is still of value.

11. KI6NAZ

re: "This isn't "law", per se." Try not to pay the fine. I assume they'll start to resemble laws if you don't comply.

12. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading comprehension, God I miss it ...

WD4IGX likes this.
  13. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Just curious, does this net catch those that have self modified their radios with a mars mod? I see those listed for sale here all the time.

14. KI6NAZ

I prefer people not splitting hairs myself, but to each his own.

Edit to add:

Specifically what CFRs do you believe match this "Amateur Radio Exception"? I queried many and looked myself and couldn't find anything standing in this area of using a radio on the ARS that can transmit outside of the ARS.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  15. KI6NAZ

It is my understanding that those radios qualify as homebrew, but would still need clarification.