ad: Retevis-1

The QRZ 25th Anniversary Trivia Sweepstakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Sep 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Umm... Yep! That's what we're doing. Plus over a dozen other prizes. The list is growing by the day.

2. W9JEF

W9JEF QRZ Lifetime Member #571 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

3. VU3VWR

VU3VWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! Some questions are really hard to answer for an amatuer from outside the US. Spent a treat deal of time learning on the callsign districts thing and the arrl today!

I think that is the greatest prize of them all, knowledge!
    Thanks QRZ, you should consider doing this often!

YO6DDF and N0CEL like this.
  4. WV8A

WV8A Ham Member QRZ Page

One of today's questions concerned ARRL President W5JBP's former callsign. W5JBP has been SK for two years.

5. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's almost just as hard to get them all WRONG as it is to get them all RIGHT! ;-)

6. KG5ZLE

KG5ZLE Ham Member QRZ Page

AJ4LN and KC9SWV like this.
  7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been forgetting to take the quiz everyday. But I do find it very fun. It is a great learning tool as if I do not know the answer I do my best thru Google to research the question and learn from it. I just got finished with today's quiz and it was fun doing the research. Also from the last time I took it I don't remember it going thru each question and answer with some extra info to some of the answers.

I know @N2EY will know the answer to this but I will take an answer form anyone except one person!
    One of the questions was, "It was once illegal for U.S. citizens, including licensed amateurs, to use and/or possess a radio receiver." I tried to research this and could not find an explanation of the answer. Two thoughts came to mind but I have no idea if they are right. One is before Amateur Radio came into existence (which I don't think is right) and the other was maybe during WWI and or WWII. So will someone please tell me when this happened?

Thanks for any replies.
    John, WB0MPB

8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was during the US shutdown of amateur radio during World War 1. All equipment - receiving and transmitting - was either taken to a Government storehouse for the duration, or disabled in place and sealed. All antennas had to be lowered to the ground and removed.

73 de Jim, N2EY

WB0MPB likes this.
  9. VE6GPT

VE6GPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Send it north. Sweepstake time .73s VE6GPT .gord

10. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for that info Jim. I figured you knew. That was one of my guesses but I had no clue if I was right.
    John, WB0MPB

11. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

First of all, *Cheers* to you! Secondly, I agree regarding the knowledge part of the Quiz. I am studying (again) for our Amateur EXTRA license over here, and It is actually helping me with some of the knowledge base, ie. Tubes, Theory, etc. And, we all get a chance to win cool stuff! :cool: Cheers again Carl de NØCEL

12. VU3VWR

VU3VWR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Carl! Couldn’t agree more! Good luck with the exam, 73 ,gud dx from VU land!

Cheers!
    Ragav
    Vu3vwr

N0CEL likes this.
  13. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the sweepstakes

14. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. I was waiting for someone to point out the correct acronym. The "P" is not for "Position".

15. YO5ER

YO5ER Ham Member QRZ Page

It's great, but you got me with some pure US related questions ;)

73's de Septy
    YO5ER

YO6DDF likes this.