ad: portazero-1

An RTTY signal receivable at 7107.8MHz USB shift 200

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by IK2RLM, Sep 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. IK2RLM

IK2RLM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This RTTY signal is received in almost the whole world, nobody knows what it is and how can it be deciphered ?
    Ivano

2. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

https://www.iarums-r1.org/iarums/latest.pdf

Region 1 Monitor Report says it is a Russian ship vicinity of Cypress, with 50 baud, 200 Hz shift RTTY on 7110 khz. (highlighted in red). Note that RTTY is traditionally LSB so your 'dial" or "window" frequency may be different from the IARU report which is probably USB.
    7110 khz USB - 3 khz = 7107 khz LSB.

Keep in mind that it may be encrypted or plaintext using code, even if it is a commercial maritime ship. And of course being Russian, the Cyrillic Baudot character set is likely being used which won't decode properly using English Baudot code set.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For those not familiar, here is the basic Baudot code for English:
    [​IMG]

Additional note: Just as the International Baudot code was replaced in most uses by ASCII, the Russians transitioned from Baudot MTK-2 to KOI-1 which allows computer compatible characters. I don't know if any of the usual ham programs like FLDIGI or HRD will decode KOI-1.

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It could also be using synchronous framing, such as that employed by many STANAG modems, which most amateur software won't be able to decode, regardless of the character set used.

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can make an MP3 recording of a couple of minutes, perhaps you could upload/link the audio so others could take a look at what you are hearing?

7. IK2RLM

Hi thanks to all,
    if i can record one minute of this trasnmission i will find also a system to post it here.
    It could also be a Cyrillic transmission, I tried in every way I know to decipher this signal but without success.
    But I'm curious to understand who they are and what they transmit and also because they do it in a frequency not dedicated to this type of emissions, that's all.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

7107.8MHz ?

9. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

They do it because they can.

10. IK2RLM

Thanks to all guys.