ad: k1jek

Custom Coax Cables for Your Station

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K8KSU, Sep 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8KSU

K8KSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark, W8BBQ shows how easy it is to use the DX Engineering Custom Cable Builder. Just four easy steps!

The builder lets you select the precise cable type, length and connectors you want on each end. Mix-and-matching connectors is OK too! Also use the tool to create copper braid assemblies for your specialized grounding applications.

RG400 Custom Cable assemblies are being added soon!

Each custom Qcoax cable is hi-pot tested by our technical staff before it leaves our facility.

Find the Custom Cable Builder on the DXEngineering.com home page or click here!

soldering connector.JPG

ZL1SLO, KG4BFR, KA8UGB and 5 others like this.
  2. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

GREAT VIDEO.jpg

NU4R likes this.
  3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Odd how advertisements get called "news". No wonder we can't trust that word anymore, it's become meaningless. :(

K0WJ, KD5BVX, K4MRO and 11 others like this.
  4. AC7S

AC7S Ham Member QRZ Page

67.95 for a 3 ' cable of rg213 plus 2 pl259 connectors no thanks .....good idea though.

K2LED, AK5B, KP4SX and 3 others like this.
  5. K7LZR

K7LZR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is Amateur Radio News? Does the FCC or ARRL know about these cable strippers?

K0PV/SK2023, AK5B, KD5RJZ and 2 others like this.
  6. KD8CDG

KD8CDG Ham Member QRZ Page

I just purchased four 6 foot LMR 240 New Times cables with Amphenol connectors installed with heat shrink... $85.75 shipped..
    Compared to DX Engineering:
    Coax Cable, RG-8X, 16 AWG Copper, Type II-A Non-Contaminating PVC Jacket, Amphenol 83-1SP Ends, 6 ft., Each $69.50
    For a grand total of $417

And it is not even New Times cable..
    Think there is something wrong there....

KD5BVX, W4YEM, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one serious question - why does anyone do this?

K0WJ, CX3CP, W4YEM and 3 others like this.
  8. KD8CDG

KD8CDG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one serious answer... I simply do not want to install PL259 connectors on cables anymore..

W7TRD, KE5ES, W6ERM and 6 others like this.
  9. K2NCC

Careful, I had a similar comment promptly deleted. Apparently the 'Zed is okay with fake news. :(

It's regularly enough of an issue I'm considering just walking away and never donating another dime to what's otherwise a very fine service.

I get that qrz.com has to pay the bills, but it appears to be at the sacrifice of integrity.

K0PV/SK2023, NK2U, AK5B and 2 others like this.
  10. K1VSK

Why?

K0WJ and AK5B like this.
  11. NE2I

NE2I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

wow just look on ebay for your jumpers... They work great I use LMR 240 for all the inside stuff...

AK5B, KD8DEY, NU4R and 2 others like this.
  12. K2NCC

Not talkin' to me, but from my limited understanding, PL259 isn't as good as BNC or type-N connections. Google will have lots of hits for "Why?".

NU4R and K7LZR like this.
  13. K1VSK

I get that but that doesnt explain buying these. Do new hams not build anything even as simple as making a coax cable connection?

K0WJ, WQ4G, K5HS and 4 others like this.
  14. K2NCC

Me, I'd rather buy it ready-to-install. Sure, even with my basic soldering skills I can put on connectors, but I'd rather pay a couple bucks more and have pros do it with pro tools.
    And usually get some sort of warranty with the purchase.

I so rarely need to make my own coax, it's just not worth the money to buy the tools necessary to home-brew.

K7LZR likes this.
  15. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Basically advertising on how to order cables from DXE is considered "news"?

You can buy standard length cables with UHF connectors already on them, and if you want something else, buy an adapter. Fraction of the price.

Myself, I just do it the old fashioned way - Just make the things as needed. I have spools of excess coax and boxes of connectors, a good soldering iron, and a razor blade, and other tools. I have a crimper too but haven't used it yet..

KE0DZW, AK5B, W5PFG and 7 others like this.