ad: wmr-1

Speaking of Sunspots has anyone seen this? Very strange

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Sep 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is something you don't here about at a sunspot-solar-observatory

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) swooped into a New Mexico town unannounced and shut down an observatory last week, and to this day no one knows why. So of course, conspiracy theorists have concluded that it has something to do with aliens.

As The Albuquerque Journal reports, last Thursday was just a normal day at the National Solar Observatory in Sunspot – that is, until the FBI showed up, by some accounts in a Blackhawk helicopter, and ordered everyone out. Scientists, technicians, clerical workers, and even the janitor were told to pack up and leave.

Otero County Sheriff Benny House said that workers were terrified and called local law enforcement to keep things from getting out of hand.

Oddly enough, as Albuquerque Journal reporter Matthew Reisen was on the phone with the sheriff, the phone went wonky and cut out while the sheriff was in mid-sentence.

It wasn’t just the observatory that was evacuated on a moment’s notice: a postal clerk working at the nearby post office said agents walked in and told him to take a hike. Reisen contacted U.S. Postal Service spokesman Rod Spurgeon, who called the situation “strange.”

NN2X
    Tom

CT1EIU, WJ2L and 2E0EUG like this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that's the damnedest thing! :eek::D:cool:

3. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

some kind of a cover up. We had the same thing happen in our town when this guy that lived alone for the past 10 years was gunned down and just as quickly he was gunned down the Vermont state police,FBI,Border police,county came in sealed off the road,property for about a week. The FBI came to the town clerks,PO,select broad offices and were told that " NOBODY IS TO SAY A THING, THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN,KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT,ETC." Then they all left. His home is still condemned,roped off,warning signs,fenced off and has been this way for the last 2 years.Nobody knows a thing.This happened up in the little Vermont town of Pecham,Vt.

CT1EIU and KB1ILS like this.
  4. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Closing a post office - that's a sign something serious is up.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently someone said something. All those people involved and not one of them will reveal any information ....never?

Similar to calling 9-11 an inside job and the number of people it would have taken to pull that off and after all these years not one person has revealed the "conspiracy".

6. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed.

7. NN2X

Even the news outlets from both sides of the political isle (FOX and MSNBC) has reported on this... It does seem strange, some are saying terrorism but who would want to blow up a solar observatory?! There was also at the time of the closing, a military Helicopter flying around.

I have no clue what this could be, but I can't wait for the explanation..

NN2X, Tom

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

From the FBI?

KF7PCL, W4AAX, W8LGZ and 3 others like this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Given the proximity of the missile test range next door, anything is possible.

And after they spent all that money to install really fancy cameras and other remote sensing equipment pointed into space, it's hard to believe that the observatory only works on "science" projects -- especially given its proximity to its very military neighbors.

10. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I work in a hotel and asked one of my co workers that live in Pecham,VT and asked him yesterday if anything new about the stuff that happened last year.He said nothing!, everyone seems to be very quite about,it's not a good subject to talk about it town.

11. NN2X

I have seen a video, where as FBI told residents to leave their homes, small shops where force to close, and even the post office had to leave, all in this little town out in the middle of nowhere.

What would cause such an evacuation? I don't think terrorist would want to blow up some lonely solar observatory in the middle of no where.

Drugs? I don't think so, and hacking? What is so interesting about sun spots (Unless you are a Ham operator!)

There was a Black Hawk Helicopter, there as well.

For the FBI to be out there, and kick out folks, there has to be something

Mean while this was on the national news (FOX and MSNBC)

NN2X, Tom

12. KC1KDG

KC1KDG Ham Member QRZ Page

The FBI doesn't have the authority to evacuate a town. Don't believe everything you hear. Come on people, use your brains!

AC0OB and K2XT like this.
  13. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's the Andromeda Strain... Again! break out the rubber suits.

W5YZR likes this.
  14. NN2X

Update Sept 16, 2018

On Sunday, the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA), announced that it is reopening the Sunspot Observatory, which it manages, and that employees and the residents who had been forced to leave their homes on the site are now allowed to return.

"AURA has been cooperating with an on-going law enforcement investigation of criminal activity that occurred at Sacramento Peak. During this time, we became concerned that a suspect in the investigation potentially posed a threat to the safety of local staff and residents," Shari Lifson, an AURA spokesperson, said in a statement Sunday. "For this reason, AURA temporarily vacated the facility and ceased science activities at this location."

I really think it still is very strange, to have a Black hawk helicopter, FBI and kick out local residents plus close business, all to seek what?

73's NN2X, Tom

W5YZR and KK5JY like this.
  15. KC1KDG

KC1KDG Ham Member QRZ Page

A dangerous suspect. Why is that strange? Helicopters are used by law enforcement all the time. Look at the site on google maps. It's easy to see why the area would be evacuated and helicopters would be deployed to search for a suspect that might be in the area.

Remember that when the FBI or other law enforcement evacuates people, it is generally voluntary. Unless they reasonably believe the suspect is in your home, they cannot enter or force you to leave. The FBI didn't kick anybody out of anywhere. That kind of language is the stuff stupid conspiracy theories are made of.

Tell me I'm wrong, please!

Jim, KC1KDG

WA8FOZ and K2XT like this.