ad: elecraft

Yaesu to release 200W and 100W HF SDR Transceivers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Aug 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. SV3IRG

SV3IRG Ham Member QRZ Page

YAESU still provides quality,case,knobs very good materials...like other Japan products....but isn't Kenwood,Icom etc...

AK5B likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not really. The Flex M transceivers are most assuredly SDRs, but they do have knobs...Flex pasted a Maestro on the front. Why? That's what people want, SDR or not. ;)

KM5BOR likes this.
  3. K1FBI

K1FBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If there are 20 hams calling a DX station and running 100 Watts the 200 watt station has the advantage. (antennas being equal gain, distance, etc.)
    200 Watts with a high gain antenna will be giving 600 watts and a vertical station a run for the money.

KA2K and KM5BOR like this.
  4. KK6GBY

KK6GBY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And from my perspective the addition of the Maestro created a departure from a "true" SDR which was meant to be PC controlled. And this is just my spin on things - nothing important.

AK5B likes this.
  5. KF5GTX

KF5GTX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just wish the FT-DX101D and FT-DX101MP had full duplex for satellites, plus everything the FT-847 has.

6. AB5S

AB5S Ham Member QRZ Page

"Barbie and Ken's Radio."
    Another big-money computer-with-an-antenna.
    Hooo-Hummmm

KR3DX and AK5B like this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But the thing is, whether you've got the Maestro or a M version, you can still control it with a PC. Just like the no-knob models. If you're still bothered, you can disconnect the Maestro and hide it in a closet, or you can turn your M to the wall so you don't have to see those darned old knobs! :p

N8DC likes this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu -- never again.

W4KVW likes this.
  9. KF7WAG

KF7WAG Ham Member QRZ Page

Another part of The digital revolution, year’s ago They talked about hf Going digital, I’m not so sure That I like It Though.

10. KK6GBY

Yeah, I think I have a knob problem. I'll talk it over with my therapist.

KM5BOR and W4NNF like this.
  11. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope these rigs are successful for Yaesu, but they're outside my budget.

VK6APZ/SK2022 and W2CSI like this.
  12. KK6GBY

My therapist wasn't very helpful. She suggested that I should move to Knob Hill.

KA2K likes this.
  13. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have enough knobs even in icom-706 =)

14. G0VQY

G0VQY Ham Member QRZ Page

At the moment, I use an ICOM 7800 which is like a small suitcase sitting on the bench. I'm looking into getting one of the Expert Electronics Sun SDR Pro2 radios. The reason being is will free up a lot of space because I can make all the big changes using my trackball and computer screen. I don't really understand why someone would trade in something like what I've got and replace it with an SDR radio of exactly the same size with all the knobs and buttons

N0YPD likes this.
  15. 2E0EUG

2E0EUG XML subscriber QRZ Page

The real question is have Yaesu solved the ultimate problems all British Hams want solved?

1 Can it make a decent cup of tea and
    2 Can it stop a woman from nagging that your on the radio to much ?

When these pressing technological problems are solved we may finally have found the ultimate rig !

WV4M, WA8FOZ, NL7W and 1 other person like this.