ad: elecraft

ICQ Podcast Episode 274 - PiStar - 12 months On

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Aug 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. M1MRB

M1MRB Ham Member QRZ Page

In this episode, Martin M1MRB is joined by Leslie Butterfield G0CIB, Edmund Spicer M0MNG, Bill Barnes N3JIX and Matthew Nassau M0NJX to discuss the latest Amateur / Ham Radio news. Colin M6BOY rounds up the news in brief, and this episode’s feature PiStar 12 month on.

ICQ Amateur/Ham Radio Podcast Donors

We would like to thank Charles Riley (G4JQX) and our monthly and annual subscription donors for keeping the podcast advert free. To donate, please visit - http://www.icqpodcast.com/donate

News stories include:-

• FCC Action Against Illegally Marketed HT's
    • Prohibiting Illegal Use of Two Way Radios in New Zealand
    • Ofcom Release UK Amateur Ham Radio Callsign Figures
    • VOACAP Propagation Prediction Wheel Returns
    • Key Triathlon Role for Amateur Radio Operators
    • BIRDS-2 CubeSats to Deployed
    • 83% support 50 Watt Australian Foundation Power
    • Paraguay Joins 60m

The ICQPODCAST can be downloaded from http://www.icqpodcast.com

upload_2018-8-19_21-27-4.png

2. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It would've been extremely helpful if you'd provided a summary what PiStar is. Why should I care? Why should I listen to this?

73 Mike

KV4MO and WD8ED like this.
  3. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pi-Star is the software many of the new MMDVM hotspots run on and has become very popular.

4. K5TRI

Please throw more acronyms without explanation. MMDVM stands for? Why is it so hard for people to communicate clearly?

I think the new HHDB is the best thing since the invention of FMDV. Clearly not as superior when it comes to RDG in terms of HHSM, but then again
    CFTG hasn't been around for that long.

VE3EWN, KM5BOR, K2DVA and 2 others like this.
  5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Pi-Star is a Linux-based distro for the Raspberry Pi and a few other single-board computers that works with many MMDVM boards to give you a D-Star, DMR, Fusion, P25, et al hot-spot (micro-repeater) -- If you don't have a nearby repeater, but have an internet connection, you can use your radio at the house, or tethered to your phone.

Google is your friend - it took me less than 5 seconds to type "what is mmdvm":

"The MMDVM is intended to be an open-source Multi-Mode Digital Voice Modem, which utilities the power of an ARM processor and a simple analogue interface board. The Multi-Mode Digital Voice Modem is a combined hardware and software development of a modem to handle all amateur digital voice modes."

When confronted with something new, the curious look, the lazy complain.

K2TL, KA2RRK, K5MPH and 2 others like this.
  6. K5TRI

I don't think you understand my point. I know how to use a search engine, thank you very much. Unlike many others I also do understand how to properly market and message a product/ service.
    Marketing 101 is not a bad thing to understand when producing content.

KM5BOR, K2DVA, N5RP and 1 other person like this.
  7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you should partake of the content before criticizing the summary?

8. K5TRI

Yeah, you still don't understand but that's OK ;). It's actually the other way around, but never mind.

W6SFO and KM5BOR like this.
  9. KC5TT

KC5TT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no idea why some people need other people to do their home work. While on the Internet how hard is it to find out what any acronym means? Really... The topic may be a bit to much for you if that is what you have to complain about. There is some entertainment value to it though.

10. K5TRI

There is something magical that happens when you put your own ego aside and really try to understand what the other person is saying without the intent to show how smart you and how
    dumb the other person is. Unfortunately you will never experience that magic as you so eloquently demonstrate how little your understanding of my comments is.

VE3EWN, KC1DR, KM5BOR and 3 others like this.
  11. N8DAH

If you are to lazy to google and read like the rest of us sorry for ya mate. I can't help you nor will I if I could....nice trolling and derailing a post. The podcast is a good one and was a rather nice listen. I will be blocking you as it seems you are just trying to be a pain in the ......

K5MPH and KD5QHB like this.
  12. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

You entirely missed his point. You derailed your own message. And you even went one step further blaming someone else for it. ??? If you don’t care about growing a following then why bother at all?

I followed the link simply because I did not know what the thread was about and was a little curious. Once clicked on, I was treated to what looked to me to be gibberish. Right there I’m at a crossroad. Go elsewhere or try to sort thru it. If It wasn’t for your blaming others for your shortcomings I’d be long gone.

Your original posts did not get me caring enough to open a can of worms called a google search. That would normally be the goal of the original post right? Get a new person interested enough to put more effort into it? Maybe help start with a bit more background data? You failed. It’s the fisherman blaming the fish for not biting.

You had not done enough to make an outsider to that tech interested enough to give a crap. And when someone points it out, they are the bad guy? Do you happen to be an IT guy?

KC1DR, KM5BOR, K5MPH and 1 other person like this.
  13. N8DAH

I almost didn't reply to this but, I am just to say this: Not my job to force tech on people he had enough to read up on it like all the rest of us do. His snarky comments is the reason for the short answer. He asked what Pi-Star was and I as well as others answered...not my fault or theirs he didn't like it...or you for that matter. Have a great night/Morning.

P.S. I will not be continuing this commentary as it takes away from a very good podcast.

14. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t think he started that way. But it’s clearly how you took it. He had exactly the first impression I had. He was clearly trying to help. As am I.

Maybe the podcast is great stuff. But the original link probably didn’t help get many additional viewers. In fact, these exchanges probably did more to help the thread than the original post.

Thanks,

Ed

KM5BOR likes this.
  15. K3STG

K3STG Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish everything were explained to me in detail ... but in my world Google is Webster's and Youtube is my Elmer

KG7OG likes this.