ad: elecraft

Ham Talk Live! Episode 129 - What's Up with Please Copy?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Aug 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday night at 9 pm Eastern, Ward Silver, N0AX will be here to talk about why contesters don't like people saying "Please Copy" and looking at ways that hams can be more efficient communicators. Is it polite? Or meaningless words that waste precious time? And you can join in on the conversation by calling into the show!!

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night (8/23) at 9 pm Eastern time (Friday 0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 812-NET-HAM-1 live during the call-in segment of the show, or by Skype. Our username is hamtalklive. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

And while the intent is to generate conversation on the show... I have a pretty good idea what's going to happen in the comments below. So please, keep it civil. :)

n0ax.jpg Photo Jun 25, 7 50 17 PM.jpg

AC7DD likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Please copy is better than radio check. ;)

WW5RM, KD7DGK, N6QIC and 3 others like this.
  3. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Boy, I tell you what!! People get butt hurt over the smallest thing now days!!

Bob

N3GTO, WK0DX, N1SCA and 39 others like this.
  4. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah.... this is why you should listen to the show!! It's not just about contesters, nor just one phrase. It's only 1 example. And it's not about being offended!!

K6JO, K4AGO, KD5BVX and 4 others like this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is why this cream is so popular.

You can buy it in a tube disguised as heat sink compound, Delivered to your door in a unmarked box. Free Thick Skin available, Just pay extra handling fee. :cool:

upload_2018-8-22_8-15-1.png

KB9WVK, W3KKO, KC8EQF and 30 others like this.
  6. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

why is this topic "NEWS"..
    get a grip qrz..

K4DXG, K5KNV, WW5RM and 8 others like this.
  7. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

OH MY GOD !!!! DON, I AM STILL LAUGHING OUT LOUD OVER YOUR POSTING
    YOU HAVE EARNED THIS AWARD....... ENJOY.........

========== FIRST PLACE AWARD FOR KA9JLM.jpg
    OH YES !!!! LET'S NOT FORGET THE GOOD REVEREND DAWGMA.......THREE CHEERS FOR HIM..
    73 - K1LKP
    CARMEN

WN1MB likes this.
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

============================ contesting_new_1 2018.jpg

==================== CONTESTING HAVE FUN.jpg

============================================== good_luck_comment_015.gif

================================================ SMALL CFO 1008  SMILE 73 CANDID CAMERA HAVE A HAPPY DAY.jpg

K4SAW and AF7ZA like this.
  9. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

PLEASE COPY sure does get under the skins of some hams and I see it as almost like pleading and begging with the dx-pedition to give you a 5x9 report when we all that even after having you repeat your transmission 20 times your still going to get that 5x9.

This seems to be one of those 20 meter phrases kind of like saying CQ CHECKING DX PROPOGATION FROM CALL AREA XXX instead of just saying CQ DX!

AB9LM, AE2B, VK6APZ/SK2022 and 4 others like this.
  10. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Please Copy -- the latest lid-lingo - no different that Seventy-thirds, I've destinated, and first-personal.

Filler words seem to have made it into ham radio vernacular - giving the user a brain pause to think/type the call-sign into the computer.
    Just like Milennials saying "like" every other word out of their mouths when describing something.. they're thinking aloud...

Banish the use....it does sound silly on air.

The equivalent on CW is sending the ever-worthless 5NN report, same use/effect. Before days of computer logging, we'd work the station and then add it to the dupe sheet. Now it's done near real-time and many need the pause/ filler words as their brains are slow.

Where's Mike when we need him : No slopbuckets, Buster Brown Haircutters, Phoney Phonetics, Wet Bottoms, or long talking old washer women. No lids, no kids, no space cadets. Class A and only the better operators please.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    KA8SBI, K4AGO, WB2WGX and 8 others like this.
  11. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure is a lot of "copying" going on in the phone bands,.................... Jus Sayin

K4AGO and WB9VPG like this.
  12. AD8BM

AD8BM Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's don't forget over over

K2XT likes this.
  13. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

You have got to be a real knucklehead if you get upset over a few words like "please copy"
    this hobby has become a place where the rules and standard operating procedure is out the door.

if i had a nickle every time i heard someone say 73's or someone who doesnt use the proper phonetics......

we have become too relaxed.

people treat ham radio like its a yahoo chat room.....

they just got their license because

a. they were bored
    b. they wanted to move beyond the childrens band
    c. they wanted to join the others whom really have not transitioned from cb to ham radio
    d. or last but not least, they got it because.....who knows why.

Ham radio has changed so so much

i often hear people say we broadcast....well let me tell you one thing I DO NOT BROADCAST.....I am not a commercial broadcaster

and then my favorite is......this is amateur radio we are all amateurs........well just because we are amateurs does not mean we have to act like we dont know better.

Stop making excuses for being a lid

KA8SBI, WF7BSR, KR3DX and 5 others like this.
  14. W7ZFG

W7ZFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Please copy, really. We need to get rid HI HI OLD MAN too. Just laugh you crotchety old........

AG5CK, K6MTS, KC8YXA and 4 others like this.
  15. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All I hear is GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

K5KNV, KD7DGK, W1SS and 1 other person like this.