ad: Flexradio-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WH6FQE

WH6FQE Ham Member QRZ Page

It is also a "possible alternative" for those of us who have not been able to learn CW yet. And by the way, I am one of those DX operators who want more than a simple signal report, location, and callsign for a logbook.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  2. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sign me up on that one! Even at 10 wpm, I can have some ability to have a QSO! Heck we did this for years on CW, using 10wpm...I did pass the 20 wpm, (1980). But we built up to it, by using 5, 10, 13, and finally 20 wpm. But in no way, could we decode at -24 db below the noise floor, (AT 10 WPM).

Cheers, NN2X Tom

WD4IGX and WH6FQE like this.
  3. VE3VWD

VE3VWD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This will allow deaf and heard of hearing another mode to use Hamradio.

Bill
    VA3QB

W7SUA, KD2NOM, N0AN and 1 other person like this.
  4. N0AN

N0AN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No doubt, it can be fun in its own right, ....I'm chatting on 20m right now with FT8CALL. I can read and reply to email, surf the web and check out spots on FT8 ...all during a few transmissions of FT8CALL. I do appreciate the work that has and will go into this, but the pace really takes some getting used to! "-)

73, N0AN

5. N0AN

N0AN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never said anything about this mode was right or wrong. (other than complimenting its feature set). I have said it is slow. That is indisputable. If you like slow, fine. I don't consider "slow" conversations enjoyable. If you do, fine, just don't rephrase what I have said to make it something I did not say. I said it is slow and I find the "conversational" aspect tedious.

As long as I'm busy with other things and don't have to watch paint dry, I'm quite content to have some contacts using this mode.

Your example of your contacts earlier above is perfect for what this mode is capable of, and I'm glad you enjoy it....

but don't be snide. It is unseemly and disrespectful (the 100 mph comment was unwarranted)....did I call you a tortoise? Did I call you slow? No...I addressed the MODE, I did not make it personal. You , on the other hand apparently could not help yourself. More's the pity.

You are free to enjoy whatever aspects of FT8CALL that suit you. Just because I do not enjoy one particular aspect of it (throughput) , does not warrant misrepresenting what I have said. We do have differing definitions of what constitutes a "conversation", so be it.

73, N0AN

NO2Y and VK3AMA like this.
  6. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There was a time when I was a novice that I could only copy CW at 8 to 10 WPM. I still had a great time. FT8CALL will allow folks to have that same type of conversation if they so choose. Though I now run ~30 wpm most of the time and don't really relish working CW at 10 WPM, some folks DO. It's what makes this hobby fun, there are so many different aspects for so many different people.

............Bob

WD4IGX, K8XG and KD2NOM like this.
  7. NN2X

That is exactly right, when I was trying to pass the 20WPM, we practice from 5, 10, 13, 18, and finally 20WPM. I passed back in 1980

10WPM, is fine, at least you can have some, QSO, or if conditions are better, QSY and change mode to Olivia, at 30 WPM (500/8). All good!

Cheers, NN2X Tom

WD4IGX likes this.
  8. N9PBD

N9PBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously? Unless there is a RTTY contest going, the sub-band is a grave yard. Any use of the airwaves is a good thing, otherwise our respective governments will find a reason to take them away from us. At 50 Hz bandwidth, I'm pretty sure that FT8Call will leave you plenty of room for a RTTY QSO or two.

WD4IGX, W7SUA, G3NYY and 2 others like this.
  9. N1RVN

N1RVN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good point.

Besides, I don't get it why are high-power RTTY operators so concerned with a QRP-level mode.

AA5CT and W7SUA like this.
  10. N6YFM

N6YFM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey Guys & Gals: Since these are no longer comments on the article, but forum like discussion of a new mode,
    why don't we move this thread over to the eham digital modes forum group now?

11. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks,
    Until FT8CALL is formally approved as an ADIF mode, you can log FT8CALL contacts in LOTW by doing the following.

In TQSL, go to File|Display & Modify Preferences|ADIF Mode
    Add
    ADIF Mode
    FT8CALL
    Resulting TQSL Mode
    DATA
    OK

All the QSOs you upload as FT8CALL will now appear as DATA in the LOTW log.
    I have received a bunch of confirmations of my FT8CALL contacts this way.

Walt (G3NYY)

12. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Because we are on QRZ.com ... not eHam.

Walt (G3NYY)

WD4IGX, WH6FQE, K3FHP and 1 other person like this.
  13. N2IPH/SK2022

N2IPH/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not resolve FT8CALL to DATA and not to FT8?

14. NN2X

FYI I had posted this on eham (Digital), the same day I posted here on QRZ, however, EHAM posting did not have the same amount of responses...

Cheers,

NN2X, Tom

15. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks you Jordan for you efforts. It is very much appreciated. I have just completed my second QSO and so far enjoy this mode. Now as far as the logging issue...

I honestly don't understand the fuss being its a FT8 variant. Kinda like arguing over USB and LSB. But then again, I don't contest nor collect awards/diplomas.

John

W7SUA likes this.