ad: HamHats-1

Breakthrough Invisibility Cloak & Absorber Technologies Receive Patents

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Aug 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing and important technical innovation in part cultivated through Amateur Radio. Congrats Chip!

73, John, WØPV

https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...y-Cloak-Absorber-Technologies-Receive-Patents

Fractal Antenna Systems, Inc. today confirmed the issuance of its newest patents, enabling the next generation of stealth-like invisibility, and absorptive shielding, with commercial applications as well as defense options.

The firm pioneered and invented invisibility cloaks and holds both the ‘source’ patent (8,253,639) and the related comprehensive IP portfolio.

Recently issued patent 10,027,033 is a continuation of that state of the art innovation. It discloses a novel means of turning invisibility cloaks on and off, by changing the characteristics of a boundary layer. Notes inventor Nathan Cohen (W1YW): “The person or sensor inside the cloak is thus no longer blind.” Cohen asserts that not being able to sense the outside has previously been the number one impediment to the use of invisibility cloaks.

The newest patent, 10,030,917, describes related technology where electromagnetic energy is absorbed by fractal-based metamaterials. Called ‘fractal absorbers’, the innovation uses evanescent waves to divert such impinging energy off to the sides, where it is absorbed in a resistive layer. Previously, absorbers relied on the thickness, not the width, of materials to accomplish this. Now these very thin fractal absorbers accomplish the same result with dramatic thickness and weight reductions.

Fractal absorbers have been known and recognized as important for many years. Explains Cohen: “It is outrageous and bizarre to see teams from PRC (China) claiming invention of fractal absorbers. They have received unusual attention for their alleged invention, under the premise of so-called ‘supermaterials’. Fractal absorbers were discovered many years ago, at this firm, and the new patent conclusively establishes fractal absorbers as an American invention that pre-dates others’ alleged invention: we didn’t give it to them. We held it under wraps, waiting for this patent issuance. The patent application was withheld from publication. Ironic for them, the Chinese have unwittingly established credibility for our invention and its American uses. And, in my opinion, they are now very far behind in the game.”

Cohen sees a variety of commercial applications for fractal absorbers, whose broad bandwidths and ultra-thinness are especially sought. Demonstrations targeting specific applications will be completed in the Fall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip is one smart cookie for sure. Congratulations on your latest patent(s) Chip...

Dan KI4AX

NU4R and K5VZD like this.
  3. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations to Chip W1YW on the new patent.
    10 years of patent prosecution takes a lot of patience and perseverance.

Wideband electromagnetic cloaking systems
    US8253639B2
    Inventor: Nathan Cohen
    Current Assignee: Fractal Antenna Systems Inc
    Priority date: 2008-08-25
    Info Patent citations (7) Cited by (17)

Wideband electromagnetic cloaking systems
    Abstract

Arrangement of resonators in an aperiodic configurations are described, which can be used for electromagnetic cloaking of objects. The overall assembly of resonators, as structures, do not all repeat periodically and at least some of the resonators are spaced such that their phase centers are separated by more than a wavelength. The arrangements can include resonators of several different sizes and/or geometries arranged so that each size or geometry corresponds to a moderate or high “Q” response that resonates within a specific frequency range, and that arrangement within that specific grouping of akin elements is periodic in the overall structure. The relative spacing and arrangement of groupings can be defined by self similarity and origin symmetry.​

US08253639-20120828-D00000.png
    ^ FIG. 4 depicts a perspective view (photograph) of an exemplary embodiment of a cloak system 400 according to the present disclosure. As shown, the system includes a number of resonator shells 402 each having a close-packed arrangement of electrically conductive material (self-similar resonators 404) formed on one surface. Two different shell configurations are shown, four larger shells and two smaller shells. The smaller shells included close-packed arrangements of resonator structures in which each resonator shape (as shown by 302 in FIG. 3) was about 1 cm on a side. Similar fractal shapes of larger size (e.g., about 1.5 cm on a side) were used for the larger shells.
    US08253639-20120828-D00003.png
    In exemplary embodiments, the closed loops can be configured as a fractals or fractal-based shapes, e.g., as depicted by 302 in FIG. 3 for an exemplary embodiment of a shell 300, or 402 in FIG. 4. The dimensions and type of fractal shape can be the same for each shell type but can vary between shell types. This variation (e.g., scaling of the same fractal shape) can afford increased bandwidth for the cloaking characteristics of the system (e.g., system 100 of FIG. 1) This can lead to periodicity of the fractal shapes of common shell types but aperiodicity between the fractal shapes of different shell types.

Claim 1 (of 14 claims). An electrical resonator system, comprising:
    a plurality of concentric electrical resonator shells, each shell including a substrate having first and second surfaces and a close-packed arrangement of electrically conductive material formed on the first surface, wherein the closed-packed arrangement comprises a plurality of self-similar electrical resonator shapes and is configured to operate at a desired passband of electromagnetic radiation;
    wherein the close-packed arrangements of at least two of the electrical resonator shells are different in size and/or shape; and
    wherein a resonator in the close-packed arrangement comprises a second order or higher fractal.

Other patents and cites:
    US9134465B12012-11-032015-09-15Fractal Antenna Systems, Inc.Deflective electromagnetic shielding
    US9166302B22008-08-252015-10-20Fractal Antenna Systems, Inc.Wideband electromagnetic cloaking systems
    WO2016164080A1 *2015-04-082016-10-13Fractal Antenna Systems, Inc.Fractal plasmonic surface reader antennas
    US20170111024A1 *2008-08-252017-04-20Fractal Antenna Systems, Inc.Wideband electromagnetic cloaking systems
    US9811700B22015-04-082017-11-07Fractal Antenna Systems, Inc.Fractal plasmonic surface reader antennas
    US10030917B12017-12-052018-07-24Fractal Antenna Systems, Inc.Radiative transfer and power control with fractal metamaterial and plasmonics
    US8937579B2 *2008-08-252015-01-20Fractal Antenna Systems, Inc.Wideband electromagnetic cloaking systems
    WO2014055573A1 *2012-10-012014-04-10Fractal Antenna Systems, Inc.Radiative transfer and power control with fractal metamaterial and plasmonics

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    WQ4G, NU4R and K5VZD like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks all for your well wishes!

Here's a typical PRC paper (abstract) . Couldn't be clearer on the intent. There are many such papers.

I didn't invent fractal electronics stuff for the benefit of the PLA.....and I certainly didn't 'give' it to them.

Thank you, Royal Academy of Sciences in Sweden--home of the Nobel Prize-- for showcasing this 'derivative' (to be polite) work. Congratulations on making ME the 'invisible man'.

Heheh!

Chip W1YW

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Design of a wide-band metamaterial absorber based on fractal frequency selective surface and resistive films
    Yong-Zhi Cheng, Yan Nie and Rong-Zhou Gong

Published 17 September 2013 • 2013 The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
    Physica Scripta, Volume 88, Number 4

Abstract
    We present the design of a wide-band metamaterial absorber, based on fractal frequency selective surface and resistive films. The total thickness is only 0.8 mm and shows a polarization-insensitive and wide-angle strong absorption. Due to the multiband resonance properties of the Minkowski fractal loop structure and Ohmic loss properties of resistive films, a strongly absorptive bandwidth of about 19 GHz is demonstrated numerically in the range 6.51–25.42 GHz. This design provides an effective and feasible way to construct a broad-band absorber in stealth technology.

WD3N, WQ4G and KQ6XA like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

PRC scientists are SURE SMART:They found a way to do intercontinental MINDREADING--without others knowing it!

...or may be they used a way of 'sharing' information without others knowing it....

Here's a blowup stuff from another PRC paper....and...

[​IMG]

...the GRANTED CLAIMS of US patent 10,030,917 (filed 2012) :

1. A plasmonically-coupled resonator system, the system comprising:

a plurality of close-packed fractal cells disposed on a supporting surface, wherein each fractal cell includes a shape at least a portion of which is defined by a second iteration or greater fractal, said shape then defining an electrical resonator;
    wherein the plurality of fractal cells are positioned sufficiently close to one another to support plasmonic transfer of energy between the fractal cells;
    wherein the plurality of fractal cells are configured as a fractal plasmonic surface (FPS), wherein the FPS is operative to dissipate power from one location on the FPS across the surface area of the FPS, and wherein the dissipation is through absorption over a wide band of electromagnetic frequencies.
    2. The system of claim 1, wherein the FPS incorporates a resistive layer.

3. The system of claim 2, comprising a plurality of FPS layers.

4. The system of claim 3, wherein the plurality of FPS layers comprise one or more resistive layers

N5PZJ, WQ4G, KQ6XA and 1 other person like this.
  6. KB7AA

KB7AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanna make my HOA invisible!!

K0WJ, WB9VPG, N5PZJ and 2 others like this.
  7. WA9WSJ

WA9WSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Outstanding!
    Can this technology be adapted to help eliminate the ability of idiots from affecting pilots with lasers shot into cockpits?

WQ4G likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is already a narrow-band solution for that by a company in Canada. I'ts not cheap, IMO. IOW it works on one laser 'color'.

My objective has been to find wider band applications, and useful lower Q commercial applications. Obviously adversarial interests tried to 'appropriate' a potential 'defense' application, with the naive notion that 30 years of thought had not anticipated a fix to that.

Interesting news piece:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/dip...-bombers-warplanes-training-strikes-against-u
    s

Dumb move. Even dumber to think that said fix is not known to appropriate others.

I sleep well at night, and so should you. I have no interests in seeing future generation of Americans learn 'duck and cover'.

A balance of terror is never desired....but at least there is a balance.

;-)

AK2M, AC0OB, WD3N and 2 others like this.
  9. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

For your cloaking metamaterials, I would imagine there's a lot of trade-offs and nuance in the transition region between very Low Q vs. commercial effectiveness, for small-in-terms-of-wavelength structures.
    With too low of Q (very broadband), it doesn't do its thing; with too high of Q, it only works in a narrow frequency band.
    I'm impressed at the effective bandwidth you have achieved.

W1YW likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is too much discussion about invisibility cloaks, and related tech, as 'optical devices'. At visible light, other camo techniques , including active ones, work better. I am more interested in RF and IR.

No one has yet demonstrated to me a NEED for a visible light invisibility cloak. I finally convinced myself of one. Fortunately it is not yet needed, but that may change in the next few years.

What has happened in the last decade is the really cool field of controlling EM waves with close-packed sub-wavelength resonators. Much of my work is at the forefront of that.

BUT!

Marconi started it first! 99 years ago!

Take a look at my Zed page if interested.

I do have a painful point to make here-- much of the alleged 'professionals' in the field have totally ignore my stuff BECAUSE they say ' he is a HAM. Ignore it.' I have actually been told this. Many times. As recently as last month.

&*(&) them! Be damned if I will apologize for being a ham. MOST of the breakthroughs in wireless and radio were by H-A-M-S. This ain't just history either.

You've got young people who will surprise you in the next few years. They are H-A-M-S.

Chip W1YW

K0WJ, NK9Y, K3SX and 7 others like this.
  11. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed that too. There are several other news sources repeating the basic story, example below,

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/16/politics/china-military-mission-targeting-us/index.html

All the whining from the defeated communist yet still authoritarian realm, ie, Russia & China, about the continued "Cold War mentality" of the USA woefully reminds me of rhetoric emerging out of the Weimar Republic after The Great War a century ago.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    G3SEA likes this.
  13. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand the Klingon Empire is filing a Patent lawsuit over this :)
    Congrats Chip !

G3SEA/KH6

W1YW likes this.
  14. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the first claim to prior art is from Romulus. They licensed it to the Klingons before their falling out. Ya know, lately Chips ears have appeared a bit more ... pointy. :p

WQ4G, G3SEA and W1YW like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I snow.... you snow too :)

upload_2018-8-18_23-18-39.png