ad: Alphaant-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Right Walt. I am monitoring 14080 kHz and have seen up to 3-4 RTTY contesters running CQ and at least that many or more FT8CALL users, some even landing between Baudot mark and space carriers. And I am copying everyone's text at the same time using DM780 for RTTY and FT8CALL simultaneously on the same PC, same sound-card. See screen shot below,

[​IMG]

TIP to dynamic shared band plan skeptics - turn the speaker volume way down / off ;)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Meanwhile with 100w and a low dipole wire I'm quickly in-the-log and watching TX5T work their pile-up on 14090 kHz using WSJT-X DXpedition Fox -Hound FT8 sub-mode. Also sharing the USB pass-band with occasional RTTY signals.

I have seen them xmitting up to 5 simultaneous data streams per cycle achieving a HUGE QSO RATE - peaking nearly 10 Q's per minute, 600 / hour. :eek: WHEW!

Not an event for chewing rag. Always use the right tool for the job at hand. :cool:

N0AN likes this.
  3. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is not the problem, I observed FT8 modulation interfering with the RTTY decoding even as far as 400hz away . Of course FT8 isnt going to be bothered by the RTTY but doing that may have interfered with the RTYY folks decode, even if you were still able to decode it.

See my Friday post about it with screen shot. FT8call is great when not around PSK,MFSK, or RTTY modes.

NO2Y likes this.
  4. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it amusing that a ham is telling me I can't pursue my hobby because he thinks his take on the hobby is better.

Evolve, you say? You mean like get a satellite phone and stop pretending that you're all that stands between your neighborhood and anarchy?

My hobby doesn't revolve around disaster scenarios and it certainly doesn't revolve around what I can do with 1 watt. My daughter's radio mounted in her baby stroller is capable of putting out 100w for hours. I don't have to pretend I'm going to be in a situation where I only have qrp levels to work with.

Yeah, I get it. You haven't learned how to share and you think forcing others out of their hobby is a clear sign you're better. What's funny is that it's not even something you've done yourself. It's something someone else created and you're still all gungho with forcing everyone else out of their hobby.

I just think it's over compensation for a certain lack somewhere else

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  5. K7JNT

K7JNT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good grief, pure hyperbole on your part. I see nowhere anyone is saying you cannot pursue your hobby. But from your very own repeated complaints in this thread, you are expecting the city to stay out of the park playground so you can play your own game there with just a couple of your friends, all because you were there first.

An ad hominem attack? Seriously? How old are you? Honest question.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps consider what you observed may have indicated a problem at and with the receiver configuration of that particular station trying to decode the RTTY.

Again, as seen in my screenshot, at this QTH there was no problem decoding RTTY and FT8CALL simultaneously at a wide range of signal levels and within a few tens of Hz of each other in the 14080 kHz USB window. FT8CALL'ers were rag-chewing and RTTY contest CQ runners were taking calls and racking up points.

Similar results were observed later in the 14090 kHz USB window with WSJT-X as TX5T ran FT8 DXped mode; RTTY and FT8 signals commingled and everybody was making QSO's. In the case of the DX Fox, lots and lots of QSO's very rapidly. :D

G3NYY likes this.
  7. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

About half the posts in this thread have been about how they should push us out of our spots, how it's evolution, etc....including that post. Thankfully, the creator of this variation is willing to be respectful of others and work to share bandwidth, choose frequencies that won't interfere with others, etc. but that has NOT been the sentiment of a vocal portion of the discussion. I could go back and quote...including that post, but I suspect if you didn't see it, you're trying hard not to and my quoting would be of no use.

FT8 has its own frequencies, JT65 does, JT9 does and WSPR does. FT8CALL will when it's finalized. There's no reason the JT modes should be the only ones allowed to have their calling frequencies. You, and others, seem to think that you can't have any space unless you're forcing others out and that is patently untrue. You want to ask my age and I find that comical considering this bully attitude trying to "replace" others in the hobby and what they do. They're over compensating for something. They didn't even have a hand in creating the mode

8. K7JNT

K7JNT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm out, it's like trying to have a conversation with a skipping record.

Justin, I commend you for creating something extremely innovative and advancing the technology of ham radio. Don't let the Negative Nancys, or in this case, Negative NO2Ys, dissuade or suck the life out of you. Peace, all.

9. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You got my vote! I agree, just another great mode that only takes up 50 hz per TX...at 10 WPM...and able to decode at -24 dB below the noise floor!

This is a great time...I worked plenty of folks on FT8CALL and the features are really neat, especially working directly to the ham you desire, (On the right side of the window...Just super feature, along with ALLCALL? (That is super, tells how propagation right on the spot..)

I just wish anyone had commented on this mode, had tried it...This reminds me of Ham operators sending a review on eham without ever owning that particular equipment.

C U on FT8CALL! Cheers Tom NN2X

10. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah yes.... everyone is negative who doesn't think the JT modes should be the only ones who get frequencies. Shame on us

11. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Meh... until we get out of the minimum, and comms become easier, I predict FT8Call is going to absolutely kill everything else for DX. It's just turned a great many modes into a novelty.

12. WH6FQE

WH6FQE Ham Member QRZ Page

I attempted to log one as FT8 in QRZ and the other person rejected it, so I'm not logging any more of the FT8CALL QSO's until the logbooks have FT8CALL as an option.

13. WH6FQE

How did you log yours as FT8CALL in QRZ? I do not see that option and when I logged it as FT8 the other operator rejected it so I erased the entry and stopped logging them at all.

14. WH6FQE

I am noticing the same thing here in Hawaii, I am seeing some real possibilities for serious EmComm work using FT8CALL to pass traffic in situations where less than perfect antennas and poor propagation are the only things we have to work with. By being able to use low power to get the message out, it will be perfect for off-grid battery backup situations.

LB9YH, KN4CRD and W0FW like this.
  15. WH6FQE

Exactly. I have not been able to make a single digital contact all year from Hawaii other than with FT8 and FT8CALL. With the way propagation is right now, FT8 and derivatives of it are the wave of the foreseeable future.