ad: M2Ant-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes....a very bad time to be encroaching on RTTY signal space. Not one, but TWO contests in the remainder of this month.

2. WT0DX

WT0DX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LOTW logging for FT8CALL:

Until the ADIF standard is updated for FT8CALL, you can convert the FT8CALL mode to DATA by using the TQSL Preferences/ADIF Modes tab.
    Add an entry for FT8CALL->DATA.

I already have a confirmed contact with KC2NVG by using this technique.

73 Bill WT0DX

3. EA4BPN

EA4BPN Ham Member QRZ Page

An easiest approach. If you hit Send button, disable AUTO feature automatically.

The AUTO will be pressed again by the OP once he finish the QSO (if it is desired).

KF7VUT likes this.
  4. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Michael (NO2Y) Just wondering, have you tried yet FT8CALL?

5. NN2X

I have been noting the activities for FT8CALL, It has a second place solid during the day time (USA time zone), and third place at night (USA Time zone)

Also noted the international Ham operators have not really embrace FT8CALL, Once they do, I believe FT8CALL will approach the same popularity as FT8

Below are the stats today

FT8 630074
    FT8CALL 4334
    CW 2806
    PSK31 584
    SIM31 435
    JT65 264
    ROS 131
    PSK63 106
    PSK 46
    JT9 42
    OPERA 37
    RTTY 37
    MFSK16 13
    PI4 12
    OLIVIA 8
    FSK441 5
    SSTV 3
    MSK144 2
    SSB 2
    PSK125 1
    JT65B 1
    QPSK31 1

VA3OSO likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys are watching 'disruptive innovation' happening in real -time!

K8XG likes this.
  7. NN2X

100% agreed

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Posting so others that responded will see too.

Regarding PSK63 there is a world-wide DX contest event sponsored from Spain. It moves along even faster then most do on RTTY. Quite fun.

https://concursos.ure.es/en/eapsk63/
    I don't see a big problem with those two modes coexisting in that same spectrum space. They are both clearly separated on the scope. Plenty of room for several RTTY and many FT8 QSO's. A couple of FT8 signals could even sit between a 170hz RTTY mark and space; that's unused territory. :eek:

It's not the same as decoding CW Morse or SSB voice by EAR. I am quite sure the DSP decoding software for both modes has brick-wall bandpass selectivity and will automatically discriminate between all but a near dead-on zero-beat situation quite easily.

Regardless of band plans, good ops pay attention and strive to minimize xmsn conflicts.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  9. G3NYY

G3NYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Except that the average FT8CALL station will be running 25 watts to a wire dipole. The average RTTY contest station will be running 2.5 kw to a 6 el yagi!
    :)))

Walt (G3NYY)

WH6FQE and SV1UY like this.
  10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps. The FT8 stations have the QRO / big antenna option too. But that doesn't predict the actual signal strength in any particular QTH or preclude effective temporary sharing of that portion of spectrum.

Imagine the QRP FT8Call signals to be like flies swarming around the QRO RTTY cows tail. Plenty of munching and biting by both still going on. FT8 seems in particular to be a mode with features that would enable that to work well.

Just requires the ops to pay a bit more attention. That's what playing radio ought to still be about ...

Making QSO's "effortless" should not be a primary goal of band sharing or voluntary sub-allocation.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  11. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've noted the FT8 modulation Worm Drops knocks out my copy of PSK31 and RTTY when its only 500hz away. I see it happen when FT8 spreads down into the PSK31 band I work on 20 meters. Olivia can still get thru, but not PSK31 , RTTY, MFSK or Contestia. Sort of like how PACTOR grubs [the sound they make] wipe out those other modes in the waterfall close by. And this is using width and shift even to narrow my copy bandwidth of the Contestia signal for example.

I am embracing FSQCall, evangelized it to the local and regional ham friends of mine, and like it. However, I really feel [IMHO] 14.080 needs to change as the default to something else. Folks this morning didn't move their VFO or pointers in the water fall when the RTTY signals where running in 1900-2500 today.

12. NN2X

A Great Milestone + 5000 contacts for FT8CALL...2nd Place....Can't wait until fully released!

Mode Count
    FT8 720973
    FT8CALL 5145
    CW 3785
    PSK63 424
    JT65 380
    PSK31 357
    ROS 108
    SIM31 54
    JT9 41
    RTTY 34
    OPERA 32
    PSK125 13
    PI4 12
    MSK144 8
    OLIVIA 8
    JT4 6
    SSB 3
    FSK441 1

SV1UY, N1AAE, K8XG and 1 other person like this.
  13. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

The frequencies will change in the next version y'all. Just working out where. I'll be messaging the announcement group to try to dial down a few kHz to not interfere with other signals during the weekend.

W7UUU, N1AAE, G3NYY and 1 other person like this.
  14. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So today I went QRP Back Patio Portable at 5 watts into a 20 foot 20 meter vertical pole [has a trap for 17]. While having a nice 30 min relaxing QSO from NWOhio to AR I noticed Europe , Venezuela heard my signal. I never had the radio today over 5 watts. Wow does this get out !

VA3OSO, SV1UY, N1AAE and 1 other person like this.
  15. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the exciting part. Strike up a conversation with Rio QRP :)